Hybrid Tall Bearded Seedlings - Part 2

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

This is a continued version of the original "Hybrid Tall Bearded Iris Seedling". (the other began to get a little long). So, those of you who want to see the other previous hybrid seedling photos and conversations click this link:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/460152/

A true red does not yet exist in the world of iris. Most have heavier tints' of orange, purple, or brown to them. So, one of my goals is to get as close to a true red as possible. This is the closest I've gotten (so far). The form is one of an older iris, not wide and ruffled as many of the newer TB's out there today. But I like it and am using it to see if I can improve on all aspects of it.

It's parents are Vanity X either ( Chief Redskin or Chief Hemitite). I'm sad to say I lost the paperwork in our move, so I can't be sure.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

This seedling is World Premier x Estatic Echo.
#WP-O1 EE

This message was edited Jan 7, 2005 11:32 PM

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here is the same seedling from a different angle.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

This cross is the result of (Sapphire Hills x Pencil Sketch) x Flights of Fancy.
# SHFOF 02-20-A

This message was edited Jan 7, 2005 11:33 PM

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

The particular cross above fasinated me because it gave me so many different kind of seedlings. Here is another seedling from the same cross:

It's a luminata plicata.
# SHFOF 20-15-L

This message was edited Jan 7, 2005 11:34 PM

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

This too is from the same cross:
#SHFOF O2-11-B

This message was edited Jan 7, 2005 11:35 PM

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

I want you all to know that I'm just a backyard hybridizer - limited to the space and time I have. I am not as experienced as those who have been doing this for years either. But it doesn't change the thrill of creating your own colors and patterns and seeing them for the first time. There is nothing like it. Someday, maybe I'll even introduce a few. Meanwhile, I'm still learning. (smiles)

I'm always happy to share any information I have, and anything I've learned along the way............so please feel free to ask.

Margie

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

From the above cross came this too. A real surprise. I hope it does the same this spring. (This was first year bloom, and only the top flower did this). Next year it should be more stable and I can see what happens. If so - - it'll be a novelty iris. It equally had 4 standards, 4 falls, 4 beards, 4 style arms - - unlike many which ONLY have 4 falls. Very exciting!!
#SHFOF 02-01-4

This message was edited Jan 7, 2005 11:40 PM

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Love that novelty iris keeping fingers crossed for it to stay that way . Lovely, you are going to be great hybridize .

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Margie - you really have a talent for this! Not an "ugly" in that bunch. And oooo-la-la that red (1st pic) is getting close. I really like that 6th photo too!!! And the novelty.....well, just breath-taking.

Keep posting. I'm just glued to this thread for more. You too, zacattack!

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Loved the cross of Sapphire Hills X Pencil ? plus the novelty iris also. Don't know which I like the best.
What ever you are doing, keep doing it!!

You brightened my day as its a very gloomy cloudy day here. Talking snow tonight, we'll see.

Maxine

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

they are all beautiful, really love the novelty iris and the red one.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Margie... You're producing some really great seedlings. Wonderful start on the red... very nice! Awesome photography too. Thanks for sharing, Dan

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Maiden bloom from a cross of Cowabunga X Jurassic Park

Thumbnail by zacattack
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It's hard to beat the excitement of the first glimpse of color from one of your new seedlings.

Thumbnail by zacattack
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi Dan, so glad you are back!! :-) I love those deep rich colors on Cowabunga X Jurassic Park. Also that purple splash under the beard is very nice.

Back on the original thread you had a cross of Conjuration X Twilight Blaze.' a most unusual colored seedling.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=1219129

Maybe you have a close-up shot for all of us to see - - showing how the shoulders take on the same coloring as the standards.
Margie

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Tazzy, langbr, Maxine, Dan, and Belinda,
I really DO appreciate the comments, and thank you for the kind words. I'm really hoping if Tazzy and Dan and Idashade has any more seedling pictures, they'll post them too. It's so nice and such fun to see each others work. As well as inspiring. (smiles)
Margie

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

This cross is Burnt Toffee x Epicenter. Every year for the past 3 years it looks a little different. It's not a keeper though - - substance is poor. It looks great the first day, but not the others. BUT - - it has 12 buds, great branching, and increases extremely well. So, I've decided to use it as a parent.
#PCK-GLO

This message was edited Jan 7, 2005 11:38 PM

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

This one is a cross between Ruffled Goddess x (either Night Edition or Snowmound). This cross's paperwork was also lost in the move. The falls are marbled on this one. (with a blending of white in it)
#RG-WTRSD

This message was edited Jan 7, 2005 11:37 PM

Thumbnail by Margiempv

Emn. seedling x queen in calico x ghost story .
won bast seedling of shaw went home moved it to better location, and it crock on me SOB !

Thumbnail by tazzy

closer shot

Thumbnail by tazzy
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Pretty one Tazzy....too bad about it's early demise!

Have to comment on what a beautiful tablecloth that is in the first pic. Love it!

Enm. seedling x Queen in Calico xClean Shaven .
you just don't know what it will look like . And I'm sure sometimes bees get there first

Thumbnail by tazzy

same cross different .

Thumbnail by tazzy
Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Great thread I'd even break into my piggy bank for #6 and #1.Jody

County Roscommon, Ireland(Zone 8a)

Margie, I LOVE the novelty one!

Sue

Brenda :
that tablecloth is our iris society's in fact it takes 3 of them for the Queens court .the club bought them at Penny's a few years back .

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Margie, Here's that close up shot of the Conjuration X Twilight Blaze seedling... I like the color blending on this one, especially how the color of the standards comes through on the shoulders; also like the bright orange beards. Thanks for your interest... and please keep your seedling photos coming. I only have a few more photos to share, but hope to have quite a few first time bloomers this spring.

Thumbnail by zacattack
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

To die for.

OH yes ! wow !
That its a keeper !

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Cool

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

A first year seedling from Cowabunga X Local Color. Exceptionally large flowers and is proving to be a very vigorous grower. This one is growing in a large clay pot.

Thumbnail by zacattack
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Another first year seedling... Cherubs Smile X Rebecca Anne. Has one nice trait that shows in the next photo.

Thumbnail by zacattack
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Next photo of Cherubs Smile X Rebecca Anne. I like the solid yellow style arms and the slight violet blush at the base of the standards.

Thumbnail by zacattack
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

A cross of Where There's Smoke X Local Color

Thumbnail by zacattack
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

One more... Liaison X Conjuration. This is a sibling of 03-24m, which was posted on the first thread.

Thumbnail by zacattack
Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

zacattach,
You sure have some beautiful babies.
Tazzy,
do you show and judge both?
Jody

If i show I cant judge and vis -versa But you travel to different places to judge i only show at local club, to much hassle to try to take a load of Flowers to another Town If i leave house with 50 stalks i surely will mess up over half getting loaded and unloaded from car and door frames really can ruin a bloom stalk .And i am a klutz too .

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

This thread is so impressive. I have really enjoyed it and look forward to more pics. You are all so talented...

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

tazzy is there a special trick to transport flowers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.