locusts - any smart non-insecticidal ideas??

Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

I am slowly seeing all new leaves being eaten away by locusts. Is there anything to do (like a trap, or introduction of a bird, or what you know) to get rid of them??
Your hint might save my summer.

Dimitri

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Michael,
Don't know about Greece, but here in Texas it's thousands of little green and brown hoppers. Munching my sunflowers like there was no tomorrow. If anyone knows any thing better than Sevin dust, please let us know.

New Paris, OH

Beneficial nemetodes, Seagulls, chickens, Nosema will all do a good job of controlling hoppers.

Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

what is Nosema please??

And beneficial nematodes, some further info please.

I was thinkong of a trap for them to get into, but I don't know of a lure. It would have to be some substance smelling like their mate's armpits or something. Where are you entomologists???

No way chickens will eat up locusts that become as big as 10cm (4"). They jump and fly and hide behind the twigs with human-like movements. I am terrified to see the young apricot tree leaves go one by one until the very last.

Dimitri

New Paris, OH

Our chickens would love a 4" hopper. Our cats and dogs have also been known to eat them

Nosema I believe is a baccillis that kills grasshoppers. It is found in soils but it is also used for control in the US. Nosema will also kill honey Bees, which is a drawback.

Beneficial nemetodes are also found in soil and are sold in the US

Santa Barbara, CA

Dimitri,

Nosema is effective at the early stages of the lifecycle; once the start their major flights, control is a lot less assured. One of Nature's scourges recurring supposedly every 7 years. Even I am seeing 7-8 cm-long (3+ inches)locust as well as smaller grasshoppers this year in southern coastal California.

My chickens attack 6-inch lizards and field mice, so a scrawny locust would be a quick snack well worth fighting over.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.