I think my parlor palm is.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Begining to flower.,Have 3 of these strange looking things among the branches.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I have the same things I don't know why they come on the plant but after a while I cut them off I don't know why I do that maybe its seeds I just might look to see if I can find some information on that. I have had my plant from 1989 And it is still growing It came in a basket from My Dad for my birthday and has been growing. If I find some infor I will come back
Dimmer

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Tropic and Dimmer,
I have the same thing on mine from time to time and it looks so ugly that I always just snip it off- LOL!!!

I have had my parlor palm since 1992 when it was very tiny, only maybe 3 inches high. Now it is about 3 feet tall.

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I was looking around for some sites on this and I think that they might be seeds but are hard to grow I found pictures of the palm but not with those kind of stems on them but I have nothing to do I am laye off for the winter so I will keep looking for some infor
Dimmer

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

Yes you are looking at reproductive parts but some palms are dioecious (having separate male and female plants), in which case both types are needed and you have to hand-pollinate the female in order to produce seed.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Caron,
Too much work for me- LOL!!
Guess my palm will have to go w/o good lovin'.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I think I'll leave them on for a while ,just to see what happens.
Its also sending up new stems I think,or else more flowering stems,to early to tell at the moment.
Thanks for all the info.
Don

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Tropic,
Let us know what it does.
If something spectacular happens to the 'growth', I will let mine stay on next time- LOL!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

BG I sure will.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Tropicman, I used to have one for years before it died on me. That is the flower stem. It does put out little tiny yellow balls that eventually fall off. That's when I usually cut the flower stem off. I was told if it flowers that means you've done something well....lol. I guess since I killed mine....I'm bad, bad, bad.
:) Donna

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Donna you bad you bad!! :)
Well I guess I'll keep on what I was doing,ignoring it!!!!
Don't feel too bad Donna,sometimes plants just pass on like us people..
thats life just recycling on and on.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks and enjoy yours!
:) Donna

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

You guys won't believe this...... but I looked on my palm today and found one small flower thingy. I don't know how I missed it before. Guess I must be neglecting my plants huh?

I'll let you all know what happens to it.

BTW, anyone know how to propagate this palm? I'd like some babies.

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

berrygirl
Do you have the correspinding male parts too??? ;-o

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Caron,
LOL!!
I only have the one palm and I don't know if it's male or female. It's gonna have to do w/o romance, I guess.

You are asking a woman who doesn't even know if her 9 mo. old chicken is a Henry or a Henrietta- LOL!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.