Natural repellent for knats

Bethel, OH(Zone 6a)

I am out in the garden for 4 to 5 hours at a time and I am bothered by the knats and bitting flies. They swarm around my knees and ankles. Does anybody have a natural repellant for the pesty critters? I like wearing shorts so wearing long pants and shirts is out of the question. Please help.
Cindy

Spring, TX(Zone 8a)

Supposedly planting basil in your garden will ward off gnats and mosquitos...but so far it hasn't worked for me. You'd think I'd gone out of my way to attract mosquitos for all that I have!

Fincastle, VA(Zone 7a)

Dear Gardening Friends,

I have been told that if you put a downy sheet in your cap or pockets this helps to keep the knats away..

I was just told this today, while strolling in my flower garden by a friend. I have not tried it, but I guess it is worth a try..

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

crjtj...I often smell like basil around here! I think I put more of it on my body than IN my body...it is a great repellant. Also, so is lemon balm and lemon grass...however, one the best is lemon thyme...it is considered to have 40 to 60 percent of the repelling properties as DEET (<--which you want to stay away from)

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

I've tried the Downy for repelling gnats and it did work for me. I rub the sheet all over my skin and even stick a sheet or two under my hat. I'm not sure if this will work for biting deer or horse flies.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7a)

I have a problem with what I think are knats. Little brown flying pests. I have no plants in our new apartment. I have no idea where they are comming from and I am to the point of wanting to move. I do not want to chemical spray because I have a 9 month old. I have put jars of apple cidar vinigar around and it is helping but they keep comming back. Any suggestions on where they could be comming from and how to kill them. I dont open our windows we use the ac. I am confused. thanks

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

Hi daltonsmom and welcome to DG! Gnats are _very_ tiny and they bite! If you're unsure about what you're dealing with, I'd capture one of the little pests and take in to the county extension folks for identification. It will only take them a moment to tell you what it is. Gnats are found outside but they are so small that they can go through screens if you leave your windows up.Is it possible that they are baby fruit flies?

Pete

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Catnip is an excellent repellent. Also they sell one at Wally World that is all natural made with neem, citronella and lemon oil. Pennyroyal is an old-time repellent also. we have something here called no-see-ums that really leave a welt when they bite and the pennyroyal keeps them away too.
Cala

(Zone 4a)

Avon's Skin So Soft is supposed to work too!

Lyndeborough, NH

Natural pesticide..

Nothing works better..http://powell.colgate.edu/wda/Beginners_Guide.htm

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Daltonsmom
I meant to add, gnats will hatch and live in the traps in your sink drains. Pour a little bleach down the drains to get rid of them.
Cala

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.