Bird of Paradise Problem

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a BofP that was doing very well. In fact, it has two huge leaves unfurling right now. But 2 of the older/smaller leaves near the bottom were black around the edges and curling. Some of the others started splitting right down the middle- like someone cut them with a pair of scissors. Now one leaf is black but just down the center of the leaf- base to tip. Is it over watering? I wait until it is completely dry, then water thoroughly. I always drain the water out of the pot saucers too so I don't leave them in standing water. Is it a light issue maybe? It is developing new leaves and they look great. Any ideas? Thanks!

Jamie

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

No answer for you but how's it doing now..? I bought a BofP at HD a few weeks ago .... Love the one at the library that is HUGE..... so I thought I had to have one....... It's currently in the basement with lights I was thinking of moving it upstairs soon....... was this a humidity issue ..?

Broaddus, TX(Zone 8b)

For Texasgarden:
Hope you are enjoying your White Christmas. My broad-leafed indoor plants do best with regular misting i. e. Spathe, diffenbacha, etc. especially during winter when home use of central heat is greatest.
I remove "sick" leaves quickly (they continue to draw food away from those lovely, healthy leaves) and begin a restoration plan with a misting routine;. three times weekly (Mon-Wed-Fri.) Will see improvement in one/two weeks of regular misting.
Place in shower for about 15 minutes to slowly wash out built-up salts from fertilizer, bi-weekly; depending on how much fertilizer applied over a long period of time.
Your lovely plant could have a fungus; spray with good fungicide (Funginix) on a 7-day schedule.
If all these measures fail to improve your plant, and after snow melts off Dallas streets, take a bad leaf to any Wolf nursery for their professional plant person to suggest a remedy.
Don't give up. Plants look their worst during winter season. Come Spring they "come alive".
Happy Gardening

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for your responses. I did remove the dead and dying leaves. Then I saw an episode of Gardening by the Yard where it showed house plants with leaves having the exact issues as my BofP. Guess what ole Paul said it needed? MISTING! So, ding ding ding Sudie, you were correct! I don't think it has fertilizer build up b/c I just bought it at HD in September (on sale for $5!!) and put those Miracle Grow house plant feeder sticks in it. I put half of what it recommends and feed half as often. Anyway, the misting, which I have been doing daily, has seemed to help all of my plants. FYI, you can also use indoor water fountains or even humidifiers too. It is good for the humans in the house as well as the plants. But even small bowls of water placed near your houseplants works too. Just a little something I learned. :)

Jamie

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

texasgarden,
I LOVE GARDENING BY THE YARD ...... Paul is hilarious and I think I watched the same episode. Wouldn't you love to spend a day with him touring his home and gardens ..... I've had fountains and foggers in my house for years. It's work keeping them all filled but I can't imagine the house without the sound of water inside.... LOL ...... I did move my BofP up over the holidays and it seems to be doing fine.... my Palms on the other hand no amount of misting, fountains and even running the humidifier is helping. I got my BofP at HD also but it cost 10.00 and I've been watching to pick up another ever since..... hope I can find a bargain like you did .... if so I'm stocking up .....

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Well vs- they jumped the gun at my HD and put all tropicals at 75% off in September. It's like they realized what they did and jacked them back up full price. Then they went down to 50% and down again to 75%. By then all the BofPs were gone. I also have a tropical wholesale warehouse like a mile from my house so I get good deals there. I find more houseplant deals than I have house to put them in. LOL!

Paul is in Tulsa and I have lots of relatives all over Oklahoma so I threaten DH on a daily basis that we are going to drop in on him sometime. Normally corny and goofy is irritating to me, but Paul cracks me up!

FYI- they had humidifiers on sale for $20 at Target and there are TWO per box. I am the bargain queen. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.