squash

Creedmoor, NC(Zone 7a)

all blooms r falling off of my neighbors squash and also on his gourds I belive that it is coming from all the pine trees that are very close by could it be all that ACID

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

greengiant...with this weather being like it has been lately (I'm in Hillsboro) it could be stress related and quite possibly the flowers are not setting...are there any bees flying around to pollinate those flowers? You might want to check and be sure they are also getting a good amount of water but with good drainage...don't let their feet sit in mud. Also, oftentimes the first flowers that come on are mostly males and it shouldn't matter if they fall off. Watch for the females, then take a male and rub the pollen in the female for a good "set". Best of luck!

Spring, TX(Zone 8a)

How can you tell a male flower from a female?

New Paris, OH

Female flowers have a swelling which is a tiny squash at the base which is the ovary. The male flowers just have a stem. The innerds of the flowers look different too with the female having fatter innerds than the males. Not all plants have male and female flowers and this description is for the squashes, gourds, melons and cukes only.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.