How to make papercrete containers.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Okie, dokie...can't wait!
:) Donna

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey TomTom,

How much water do I use to mix with the newspaper and cement? I am soaking my newspapers as we speak. I was wondering how much water to include in the mixture. Thanks!

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hi rockdrky,
Put water as much as it soaks 8 newspapers.
When the mixture doesn't get soft enough, add a little more water.

This is one of my recently made papercrete containers.

Thumbnail by Tomtom
North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

I'm going to try this method.............thanx Tom Tom...........Elaine

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

Tomtom, etal...

What a wonderful idea! I can feel my crafty juices flowing...I love the natural look to these - almost like lava stone! Will these winter outside? I live in Oregon where our winters can be very wet (and our springs can too! :-{ ) I think our winters are similar to Osaka...? or maybe Tokyo...?

Thank you for sharing.

Tracy

Redding, CA(Zone 8b)

Ingenious idea and so beautiful and natural looking, can’t wait to try it. Thanks so much for sharing!

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi there; me again...does anyone know how winter-worthy these containers are?

Thanks!

Tracy

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Roselaine and BarerootsA
Thank you for your kind words. Just have a try.
They are really worth it.

tracyrae,so sorry for my delayed reply.
They surely winter outside so far as it is -5ŽB
I can't tell if they can resist colder temperature.

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

Thank you, Tomtom, for the information. I am anxious to make my own papercrete pot! Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Tracy

Lantana, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi!

I have a (dumb) question regarding steps 8-10...

8.Spread each of the dry newspapers left and twist them
into sticks.
9.Make a wall all around the inside of the bowl with the sticks.
10.Press the rest of the slurry inside the wall little by little with a trowel

Now, I twist the newspapers, twirl them *inside* along the sides of the pot on top of the slurry/cement mixture, then press the rest of the slurry *on top* of the twirled newspapers, only to yank the twirled newspapers out of the pot the next day? Why pack the rest of the slurry on, if I'm only going to pull the twirled newspapers off? Won't glueing the twirled newspapers onto the pot with slurry only make them more difficult to remove the next day??

I read the instructions when they were first posted and was embarrassed to ask this question, but now I really, *really* want to make these containers and need to know...

I'm missing something, or maybe I'm having a blonde day (Giggle! I really am a blonde, BTW!)

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hello,Liila,thank you for showing much interest in my thread.

There seems to be some misunderstanding .
In step 9 you don't put any slurry on the inside of a bowl
(some slurry is already placed on the bottom of a bowl);
you just make a wall there by twirling newspaper sticks.
The wall sometimes crumbles,so you press the paper wall with
your hand in case necessary, and place the rest of the slurry on
the wall.
Just give it a try and you'll instantly get the knack.

Good luck

Tomtom

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

;)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Sugarweed, what did you mean by that remark?
xxx, Carrie

That's a wink in my book. It serves the purpose of bringing an informative old thread back to share. aka Lazy Bump. Makes it easy to find for use too.
Sidney

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

I have this one saved and do plan on making some one of these days. I love the look, love the idea. Thanks for the lazy bump, sugarweed.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

me too, in fact I'm stockpiling shredded newspaper. :-) Haven't done anything yet; it looks like kind of a cold and clammy project...

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Tomtom's and friends containers are awesome! I wonder how it would do here in the winter.

Well if someone would go ahead and make one up there we could find out There also is something to add to concrete to keep it from cracking in the winter.
I just can't remember what it is at the moment.
Maybe sealing the inside so it's not porus and adding ample drain holes.
Sidney

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

They do look like they'd be really pretty in the snow , although maybe it would have to be a small evergreen. But a darkish craggy container, with snow decorating all the ridges in it? Gorgeous.

xxxx, Carrie

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I wonder if putting latex in the cement would help? Is that what you were thinking, Sidney?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Perhaps he is thinking of the fiberglass reinforcing filaments often added to give concrete strength? It's often used in hypertufa.

Al

I know we used to add something to the trucks of cement I used to pour 1 cubic yard at a time. (With a crane.) I do think it was an acrylic or polymer of some kind.
Sidney

Isn't it great to be a kid in a grown-ups body and not have any mommy or daddy saying "Don't make a mess."? I am ready to retire so I can have playtime all day and do as many projects as I want to.
Sidney....again

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

But when we grownup kids make a mess, there's nobody checking up to make sure we clean up! And no parent to sigh and clean up for us when we don't. Lucky we don't have to choose because I'm not sure which one I'd pick :-) .

xxxx, Carrie

Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

Tomtom -Thank you for shareing this with us. The pots really look great. It looks like it wouldn't be too hard to use the same technique to make a neat looking wall around a raised bed. That would make a plain old raised bed look absolutely wonderful. Thanks again. Ed

Here is a link to a site that you can make conversions on for just about anything you can think of that may come in handy.. http://www.onlineconversion.com/

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

ROTF! LOL! Ed, when you said convert anything into anything, I (snicker snicker snicker) thought it would be converting stuff into other stuff. Like recycled plastic into benches, newspaper and concrete into planters, and who knew what else? Wouldn't that be a great site? And you could type in hash browns and it would tell you how to convert it into crayons. I was crestfallen to find that it was a site to convert any measurement into any other measurement.

xxxx, Carrie

This message was edited Dec 10, 2005 6:54 PM

Saline, MI(Zone 5b)

Very nice containers three questions:

How big are newspapers in Japan (might be different than in the US)

Can these planters be painted (with what)

Are they porous, that is do they get wet or damp on the outside

Since the newspaaper answer will be in cm, for those that need to convert: one inch is 2.54cm exactly (They redefined the inch to be that exact number)

Lester

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

TomTom,

Do you need to spray something on it for "water proofing"?

Linda

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

I keep hoping someone has tried this and can give me a better clue how to proceed. I love them but am lost.

Yoohoo TomTom are you growing Nasturstums this year? I am getting ready to plant mine. I hope you are well.
Sidney

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hi, everyone,excuse my delay in answering.

kingedking,
your idea sounds fantastic! I'm playing with the idea of even making a big 'trough' with papercrete. Thank you for valuable info.

mlwdad,
my answers to your questions are:
1) A sheet of Japanese newspapers is generally 31.8"X21.6"
2) You don't paint them. You may put dyes in the stuff if you like before building.
3) Papercrete containeres drain so well that apline plant enthusiasts in Japan are
rather partial to them.

creadman,
You don't need to spray anything .Use them just like any other containers.

stellapathic
just have a try. I insist.

Thank you,Sidney. I'm well.
Yes, I grow tuber nasturtiums this year too. Some are beginning to bloom.
May your nasturtiums com out beautifully.

Tomtom

Tropaeolum hookerianum

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Rotterdam, NY(Zone 5b)

Thank you for the great directions on how to create papercrete containers. I plan on making one as soon as weather permits. Don't think I'll attempt that kind of mess inside. I will post pics of my finished project, wish me luck! LOL :-)

I was wondering what the name of the plant in the pic you posted on June 13, 2005. I love it...almost looks like a type of plectranthus. Anyway, I was hoping to find the name of it so I can try to grow it in my garden.

Thanks,
Lisa

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

lisamr,
I'm happy that my info is of some use to you.

The plant in my pic is Scutellaria laeteviolacea .
Looking very much forward to seeing the pics of your finished work.

Tomtom

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Well.......I attempted the mess indoors and here is the result of my first try. I really feel the pot is too short maybe because I got the walls too thick, but I'm definitely going to do this again!

Thank You Tomtom for the wonderful directions for a very fun project.

Thumbnail by llilyfan

the inside measurements ended up being 10" x10" x 3" deep

one more picture............

Thumbnail by llilyfan
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Well done llilyfan !!
I love your first try.
Keep trying !

Tomtom

Thank You Tomtom for your encouragement.

I think I might use it for some succulents like hens and chicks. I really do love the rough texture of the exterior.

Going to try again early next week when I'm not so busy.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Looks great, Lily! I think it would be perfect for succulents or alpine plants.

Thanks Donna, it was fun to do and easy! Going to start soaking more newspaper tomorrow!

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

Great Job llilyfan. I can't wait to try myself too. Need to stop my mother from throwing out the newspaper! grrr....

Linda

I seem to have an endless supply! My daughter has a paper route and regularly sends her extras home with me!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.