How to make papercrete containers.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

WOW!!!! I have got to make this. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Please post here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1227503/

BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from Aguane :
First attempt at a container.... I'm Happy with it. Sedum will grow in no time. I used a shoe box for the form. Pressed plant material is fountain grass and rosemary.

What a clever idea! I love the pressed plants too! So basically, you could use anything as a form! One day I will have to try this!

BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from ZZsBabiez :
I also wanted to add.... I have one of the first pots she made which ended up breaking in the bottom.. so I pounded out the entire bottom and use it in my flower bed like a border.. I build up the soil and plant inside it.. no one knows it doesn't have a bottom AND the plant gets much more room for roots! It's just a ring! LOL
I don't have a picture right now, but hopefully soon.

That sounds like a great way to give your garden depth! I think I would rather make them without a bottom and use that way. Totem poles, all sorts of ideas spring to mind. I love mosaicing too, so I would use it as a form to put the mosaic on. Actually, they do this already, but perhaps a slightly different mixture - it can be put on polystyrene with reinforcement.

BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from sos210_14 :
Thanks Everyone for your positive comments. I'm sure you're right, Chris, that they needed to be planted with something appropriate in order to properly display, but I did slip some already potted plants into a couple of them. I really think the Main Street Festival was the wrong venue for selling pots. People didn't want to have to lug them back to their cars that were parked several blocks away.

My daughter plans to take this pot to her dentist tomorrow and hopes he will want to purchase it for his home or office. I planted it tonight with a succulent that I know only as Ghost Plant. It will grow anywhere!

The plant is a succulent called "Echeveria", but there are different coloured flowers and have different names for each colour I think. Mine are a pink colour.

BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from sos210_14 :
FlowrLady, I went to Lowe's today and checked out the cement. You were close--it's Portland cement. Porter would have been close enough to find the right stuff.

At Lowe's I also found a plant for the first pot I made. It was such a light gray color I thought it needed something with burgundy tones. I wanted a grass, but they were all too big, so I settled for this tropical plant. Don't remember the name and the one I bought didn't have a tag. Some of you DGers might know the name...

I think the plant is - RHOEO - MOSES CRADLES - but this is the varigated version (stripes on the leaves).

BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from carrielamont :
Yuska,

We got those risers once - no good, not solid enough and ugly as sin. I don't think they'd take any leaning on them or accidental banging or the way I move when I'm in my electric cruuiser, LOL. I think I'll ask my DH to whip me up something from PVC pipe. Of course he "whips" stuff up over a period of four to six months!

x,C

The actual plant family is RHOEO - commonly known as MOSES CRADLES. It will withstand heat, sun and will survive outside - I had it growing in Qld, Australia. If you keep the water up to it in the really hot weather. However, the colours of the leaves change with shade.
If someone can remind me how to add a photo? I have one of the Moses Cradles and the Echeveria!

BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from Tomtom :
Here is how to make papercrete containers.
The idea itself was invented by one of my Japanese friends.
It is getting popular here.

This message was edited Dec 5, 2004 8:12 AM

That looks so beautiful! I will have to try this sometime too!

BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from Tomtom :
Hi papercrete lovers,
So glad this thread has had such a number of visitors.
It's my GREAT pleasure if the thread is of some use to you.

Tomtom

I hope you don't mind, I just saved this photo to my Papercrete Pot Ideas folder - for future use?

BROOKFIELD, Australia

Post #3502205

In this photo I have Echeveria (silver coloured plant in background along fence) and Moses in the front row.

Thumbnail by biddy52
BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from donlaclair :
My first . Just after removing paper sticks and refining with the hose. Don

Just love the affects and layered look! Great work!

BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from Sundownr :
Here is the first project, the ugly red rock(s). I'll build a base (house was shorter than I thought) from stones, and butt it up to a hillside to cover the bad sections, then plant my moss and succulents on the roof.
--
Bev

It will look terrific as soon as the plants are added. Great texture! Cool shape! No-one will know it didn't work the way you wanted it to if you don't tell them!

BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from Sundownr :
The ugly red rocks stayed together enough that I could use them without cementing back together. I placed 2 bricks underneath as sidewalls for a new toad house addition in Toadville (a growing community). Here are a few pics of the process...

I am a frog lover so I just love "toad hollow" - toadville or whatever you call it. Love it!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

FOLKS - Please post on the new thread... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1227503/

This one takes forever to load and that's on high speed. Thanks!

toms river, NJ

Just read this for the first time.
The containers are really great looking.
How durable are they outside in winter freeze.
Guess I am missing something but don't see reason for the stick at bottom of the bowl.
Any answer appreciated.
Thanks

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks for 'bumping' this thread, dggardenerguy. It's time for us to plan for these! They are wonderful.

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Some of my pots remain outdoors through the freezing winter months and I've not had any problems with them.

In TomTom's original post, she added the stick to create a channel to allow the drained water to escape from the pots after they're planted.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

It's been a while, but I'm sure the stick at the bottom helps with drainage

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Hello Tomtom,

My name is David,... and I might possibly have never seen your gardening talents if my DG friend Pirl ( Arlene ) had not shared your works with me. I have been very interested in Papercrete and do Hypertufa. Thank you for the information.

I am very interested in seeing more of your very appreciated photos of your 2013 gardening works!

All respects;...Thank you for sharing, and Happy Gardening!

David, in DeLand Florida

Cumming, GA

I am getting ready to do this! The weather is horrible here. so I soaked some paper overnight, and have all the supplies, but I do have a question. did you premix the cement before you added it to the paper slurry? thanks in advance!!!! and hurry up and let me know!

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

projas, I premix all my dry ingredients, drain my paper slurry a little before adding it to the dry ingredients. You can always add more water if needed. It's better to have to add water than keep adding dry ingredients (to me anyway). I hope that makes sense.

Cumming, GA

thank you so much sundownr! I am so excited to make this. I was worried I would have to wait forever for a reply! thanks again! got a pot to make!!!!

Cumming, GA

ok sundownr! I know I sound like a moron. but I bought a 40lb bag of quickcrete. I have NO way of weighing it to get the 2.6lbs I need, and dont know how much water to add! ARGH!! sorry, I naturally got to excited to do this without all the info!

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

projas, If you don't have a bathroom scale, or a kitchen scale, borrow one from somebody for a day, or see if you can find a used one at Goodwill or a thirft store in your area. You slowly add as much water as needed to get an oatmeal or wet meatloaf consistency. It must form a ball and hold together when squeezed in your hand.

Sugarland, TX(Zone 9a)

Been looking for one and found a gem!! Terrific. By the way I had a bag full of tile grout left and they come in different colors and is cheaper than cement if you purchase it correctly - works as well and integrates various colors.
Regards.
Started the 2014.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.