How to make papercrete containers.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

They are realllllly beautiful, Don. They would make any garden sing.

Hap

New Port Richey, FL(Zone 9b)

with plants

Thumbnail by donlaclair
Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Great work. You "have" been busy.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Don, those are gorgeous with the plants!

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Hope to hear from TomTom soon. Wondering what is brewing in her pots for the fall.

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

I think I have everything to start a papercrete project. Thanks so much TomTom for the info, and everyone for the tips and pics!!!

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

The only thing we ask for are pics when you are done too.

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

I just finished my project and can't wait to see how it turns out. As usual, I didn't go completely by the directions so it may just be an ugly red rock, lol (red dye is all I had). I really like the medium. It has a nice feel and texture and is easy to work with. I tried to make a toad/troll house with a roof to contain moss, elfin thyme, or succulents. I'll gladly post pics of the unveiling!

Thanks again folks!!
Bev

Thumbnail by Sundownr
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-eat thread!!!! I read it from beginning to end! Love seeing e'ones planters! As soon as I get this cast off my right hand, I'm going to dive right in!

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Oops, I messed up!! It's raining, and raining, and I was bored. The top portion of the papercrete toad house was dry and hard so I removed it from the bucket. The house fell apart... I definitely now have a bunch of ugly red rocks! My best hope is that I can mortar the pieces back together when it has all cured.

Sorry folks.
--
Bev

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

I definitely think I can salvage the red toad house and made a couple more yesterday. The molds are still attached and I promised to wait until all is dry before trying to remove them this time!!

I SO LOVE PAPERCRETE!!!!! Thanks TomTom for starting this forum!

My haunted troll house/castle. The turret on left is a Goodwill Halloween find that I incorporated into the design. I plan on lots of embellishments once it's properly cured.
--
Bev

Thumbnail by Sundownr
Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Here is the second troll house, the pokie (jail house). I have a black and white striped troll doll as the first "visitor." I found a kid's Sheriff's badge to create a replica in concrete for over the front door, too. I'm having sooooo much fun!
--
Bev

Thumbnail by Sundownr
Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Here is the first project, the ugly red rock(s). I'll build a base (house was shorter than I thought) from stones, and butt it up to a hillside to cover the bad sections, then plant my moss and succulents on the roof.
--
Bev

Thumbnail by Sundownr
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

You're doing great Bev. Very creative.

Hap

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

love the castle!!

Mid-Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5b)

I can't wait to see the finished product. This is really renewing my interest in this.

Those are grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-eat Bev! Such imagination and design. I'm impressed! I keep thinking I need to start on something, then reality catches up to me that I can't do a darn thing with this cast on my right hand. :-( UGH!

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement folks. Waiting for these things to cure is the very hardest part!
Crit, hope your hand heals quickly, I know how frustrating it is to be kept from creating or doing something you really want to do!

tick tock, tick tock...

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Bev, you've taken papercrete to another level. Love the pics.

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

I believe all my papercrete projects are cured out enough that I can start playing. After I removed the forms, I squirted them with water daily for about a week. The colors seemed to fade a bit, but more of the texture surfaced. I had used a cup of sand in the charcoal-colored mix and like the results. The sand also seemed to help break down the paper slurry while mixing. I'm happy with the result so far, even the ugly red rock, lol.

Thumbnail by Sundownr
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I like them

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

The ugly red rocks stayed together enough that I could use them without cementing back together. I placed 2 bricks underneath as sidewalls for a new toad house addition in Toadville (a growing community). Here are a few pics of the process...

Thumbnail by Sundownr
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

nice!!

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

The ugly red rocks are now considered the Red Roof Rock Inn. I'm trying moss on the roof first and if it doesn't do well in the alkaline environment, I'll try succulents.

Thumbnail by Sundownr
Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks onewish1.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

all ready for chirstmas with those colors!!

:)

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

LOL, yes I guess I am. I hope the papercrete structures make through our winters alright... guess I'll find out soon enough!

Well, I need to get more accomplished today.
Have a good one!
--
Bev

Those are GREAT Bev!!!!!!! I can't wait till this finger is healed and I can start working on some papercrete. I may have to wait until spring. :-(

Dahlonega, GA

I'm going to read this whole thing when I have time .

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Here's an update on the da Pokey and the Haunted House papercrete projects.

Thumbnail by Sundownr
Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

The Haunted House became a Haunted Castle. I believe fairy vines climbing around the castle with a moat below planted with bog plants might work well.

Thumbnail by Sundownr
Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Very good creations. I enjoy the pictures.

Dahlonega, GA

Keep posting ,

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Uh oh, we have spied the first troll visitor to da Pokey...

Thumbnail by Sundownr
Dahlonega, GA

That is Adorable . I'll be making some of these . I'm starting to appreciate gnomes and trolls. I understand they keep the garden safe ?

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

I'm not sure how safe they make the garden, but they always make me smile while messing in the yard, lol!

Dahlonega, GA

After tomorrow , I'll be off the puter a few days , so if you don't hear from me on this thread , I'm not being snobby , I'm leaving for Texas for the winter and will probably have to use wi fi out there .I'll be doing this project . It looks easy for me . Have been wanting to make concrete leaves too .

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

digger9083, I have lots of ideas for more papercrete containers, but the next is a sedum planter top (miniature garden) for a table I'm making my g-maw for Christmas. Have fun and post pics of what you make!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

all too fun!!!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

This thread is taking a long time to load on high speed so I'm sure you dial up folks are abandoning us.

Please post on the new thread found here..... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1227503/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.