Seed Snatchin' V... Show Us Your Stash!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hey, everybody. We're on Part V of our Seed Snatchin' Adventures. Part IV was getting so long you could make a sandwich, eat it, and wash the plate before it loaded up... so, here's a continuation. If you'd like to catch up, check Part IV and that thread will lead you back to the rest of the saga: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/468970/#new

Meanwhile, if you've already kept up with our adventures, why not Show Us Your Stash!

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

8ft, what a gorgeous picture, now see, if I had beautifull snow like that I would accept that cold we're feelin right now, it's 55F out, and I'm still complaining, them bones hurt bad! I'm on my second cup of tea, Kiwi Pear Decaf Green Tea, yum, at least my innards are warm, lol, I think tonight sgonna be colder, I can feel it!
weez, ya always so thoughfull, thanks for starting this here new thread, the others should be along shortly, they went on a hunt in the forest lookin for some seeds to collect, think I'll get some soup ready for ya all.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Thats better, Missed my take-off this afternoon, but am will find Henry & me headed towards Charlotte. Shovels, clippers, and baggies in hand.

Hey, sugarweed, I took a picture of my 'collecting' equipment to use as my avatar.

Thumbnail by

HEY DSTARTZ, ya all get LIME flavored Coke your way, Wah, I want some!!! We don't get that fancy stuff here yet, they must be trying you folks out 1st. Those clippers look like they'd be ready for anything including wire cutting! Go get em!!!!

Well, hecky dern, it does say with lime. When we went to town while visiting my grandmother 50 years ago they had a soda fountain, you could get a lime Coke there. My favorite was called a cherry-lime. the Soda Jerk would squeeze (or squooze?) fresh limes 2 pumps of cherry, and fizzed with seltzer water. It was the best.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Is cutting cyclone fence illegal??

Well, the wires that hold it up could get tuckerd out, but I would'nt pull out the bolt cutters or blow torch. It must be something special, out with it . You tease llike a 10 o'clock TV newscast.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Annie I thought you folks got all the cool stuff first! :-))

Good idea Donna - I never thought about keeping a supply of water in my car...

:-((( I hit a deer this morning! Going 70 mph I hit her first then a car behind me hit her. I am pretty sure she is dead and not suffering though... that's what bothers me the most! Now my 6 yr old car will get a new bumper - yea - like that's going to match!! lol I really hate it about the deer though - I hit a cat in college but that's all I'd ever killed in my life until this morning. My husband the 'hunter' has only gotten one deer so far so now we are 'one for one.' **Macabe laughter.....**

Nicole

Ouch, so sorry about the deer hit Nicole. They do incredible damage to cars not to mention the horrible feeling left in one for killing life. I hit one many years ago and I still feel horrible about that and it happened almost 20 years ago. You always think there might have been something you could have done to avoid it and it just isn't so.

Hanna, Hmmm... your first light frost? We had our first light frost in early September followed closely by two hard frosts. This fall has been hard on plants. I was down by the pond and noticed glazing for the past week and yesterday morning it looked so beautiful outside I stopped to take a photo of one of my Blue Bird Trails. I think seed snatching is history in my area for the time being.

Thumbnail by Equilibrium
Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Oohhh weee - I think you may be right! Looks a little cold there!! On the opposite end I am still planting here (for a friend.) Going to plant pansies and bulbs for a co-worker and his wife this weekend. They are even going to pay me a bit of $$ for my 'planning' and labor! Cool huh? Wish I could make all my $$ that way!!!

Nicole Yea, I have been thinking about the poor doe all morning. The only thing that would bother me worse is thinking that she would lay on the highway awhile suffering. However, based on the damage I think she went pretty quick. :-(

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Roadkill is pretty upsetting. Here it is usually a life threatening experience for the vehicle occupants, as well... that is, when it is moose. They have long legs and are incredibly large and heavy... like hitting a car on stilts. A square on hit will put them through your windshield. Sadly, in snowy winters they look for the plowed areas to travel or forage. Consequently, we lose hundreds to road and railroad accidents. Sometimes the occupants of the vehicles don't make it either.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

:-(

Will tell you a funny (although sure you have heard a million of them) moose story though..

When I was in Anchorage years ago my great aunt saw a moose chasing a man up their road. It's only funny b/c the man didn't get hurt and they were in a rather 'cityfied' part of Anchorage.

I also had the pleasure of observing a mom and her calf grazing near us. - safe distance away though of course!!! I heard they are more dangerous than the bear? Makes sense to me...

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Here's my stash!!

Thumbnail by JodyC
Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Good grief!! You and Weezingreens have your hands full don't you!!!!

:-)

Oh JodyC! I know who to ask if I need anything special! Holy cow!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Jody, now I don't feel like such a seed addict! That's quite a stash you've got. That tote in my picture is 12 gallon size, and all those ziplock bags are 2.5 gallon. Now, that's just my stash. Here's my 2 gallon bag of seeds for trade.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Ooops! Those are the finished seed packets for trade... about 6 of each kind. Here's the bag I fill them from:

Allrightie now! Who will start the new thread on a 12 step program for seedsaveroholics! I cut my stash down to that which was manageable but I couldn't even begin to take a photo as it is in refrigerators and freezers and on the kitchen counter and on my desk at work and in baggies in my car and and and and!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Oh, I forgot about the fridge and freezer! LOL! What do you suppose seedsaveroholics do at meetings. Do you suppose they've got to turn their pockets inside out to prove they aren't 'holding'?

By the way, here's an old thread with a story about moose: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/268893/

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I had to bump that Weez! That was HILAROUS!!!!

One of these days I'll be showing up at your doorstep!

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Me too, I have poppies and tree seeds in the frig. LOL.Jody

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

One more thing - don't be mad at me!!!! I didn't think you would or I wouldn't have done it but I started a thread in Jokes and Chat and linked your thread to it! If that is something you wish I hadn't taken the liberty to do - will have it removed.. I think a lot of you and don't want to offend or alienate you!

That is BY far the funniest thing I have read in a LONG time.

By the way - you must have been a matador in your former life!!!
You're a braver woman than I am!

Nicole

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

That is hilarious.Jody

Equi, for some reason your pic did not come out, I can see all the others but not yours, sigh, ok, guess I'll have to take out my camera too, will do later today, I've got to go do my civic duty today I volunteer for our new Performing Arts center, getting programs set up, I'm so happy!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

That sounds like fun Annie! I 'get' to help maintain the local arborteum garden beds with my local extension office on the 21st. My DH is like - Wha? Why do you want to do that?? LOL

To the Moose Matador-

"Oh, I forgot about the fridge and freezer! LOL!"
Sure, likely story, that's what they all say.

"What do you suppose seedsaveroholics do at meetings?"
Why those who gathered in a self help 12 step group such as the one proposed by my husband would sit around and conduct themselves quite appropriately UNTIL break time where members would scurry off into corners with new friends twitiching in hopes of acquiring new sources and contacts from those in the know. I'm told this is what happens at some narcotics anonymous meetings from a reputable source who is a case worker who provides services to people who have obsessive compulsive disorder. My husband thinks I need to have my head examined based on the sheer quantity laying around our home and that comment was made AFTER I cut my stash down a few weeks ago.

Sounds like he should know why, since you're such a Gardenaddict, lol
Hey did anybody see my last post on #IV???? I did have a great day yesterday snatching?!?!?

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes mam!! I'm falling behind! Need to catch up!!!!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, I did, Hanna... we seem to keep leaving you and 8 ft behind. I haven't commented on your post because I'm jealous. I'm reduced to wading through snow to get to the Highbush cranberry seed here. Sigh!

I have no idea why my thumbnail photo is not showing. It appeared in the rpeview. Is there ay way to correct that? I've posted photos before and this has never happened!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Gee, I don't know what happened, Equil. I don't think Edit gives you the option to add a photo. Why not just try posting it here again.

OK, let's have a go at it one more time.

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

I took a few that morning as the lighting was so unusual. I can see it, can you?

Very nice pic, between you and 8ft that's some beautiful snow, my son cries for half of that right now, lol

Here's another I took that morning. Seed snitchin is over and dumpster diving is over too. Slim pickins these days as the gardening inventories have long been cleared to make way for Christmas.

But that leaves... more time to deal with the stashes!

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Equi, I just got a real chill lookin at that pic girl, I've got on 2 sweaters right now, and the heater's on 71F, Stuff still blooming outside that really should'nt be, a very strange year to say the least, not to make you sad, I might plant pansies this weekend, LOL, and that's the truth, a good time for them here. This pic was taken last week!

Thumbnail by hanna1

Still lookin pretty!

Thumbnail by hanna1

Beautiful, hanna!

8ft and I are probably not more than 10 to 15 miles away from each other. We get the same weather. I'm liking the look of your winter better than the look of mine. Pansies huh? The only thing that will end up getting stuck in my ground for the next 4 months or so will be icicles. They drop down and stick straight out of the snow sometimes and almost look as if they were "planted". I used to think the kids were doing it until I saw a few drop down with a nice gust of wind and end up verticle.

Your fern is awesome. Did you gather any spores from it to pass on?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.