ZZ Leaves Turning Yellow

Caribou, ME(Zone 3a)

One of my new ZZ's, I've had it for about a month, has about 6 leaves that are yellowing although still quite healthy looking. I've no idea why. I have it on a south facing window ledge. Could it be getting too much sun? The soil is fresh and it's great soil. I've used some plant food thinking it could be some sort of vitamin deficency. What do you guy's think?
C~

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Sorry, I've never had this problem w/ my ZZs, so don't know what to suggest, other than hold off on the fertilizer. It is generally suggested not to fertilize ailing plants as this doesn't help them.

Perhaps Sansman, when he checks in can suggest better for it. Best of luck w/ it.

Pirate Girl

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

Filtered southern light would be better. Also make sure you are not overwatering. Rotting roots will cause yellowing leaves.

North Wales, PA(Zone 6a)

Hey C~,

Is this the zz I sent you? If so, it may be shipping stress and will take care of itself. I disagree with Will (did I say that out loud? He is truly my hero!), southern exposure in Maine should be fine. It's not the light. I would wait it out and I'm very sure the plant will bounce back.

(Zone 6a)

Hi, C~! I had the same problem with my ZZ, which I got from the trade a few months ago. It was fine for a couple of months, then two fronds starts to yellow. I ended up cutting those completely (below the soil level, so no stumps will be visible). At the same time it was growing a new frond, then another one. My guess - just the shipping and transplanting stress. Don't worry (easy to say - I was very upset).
Welcome to DG. I mostly lurking here still.
Vera

Just wanted to mention to those Costco shoppers, that I saw a nice batch of ZZ's in 10 gallons for 13.99. Thinking about going back and getting one for Mom's anniversary.

Just to let ya'll know that they are getting easier to find.

Cena

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.