Canadian Roundup part 3 /29 Nov/2004

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Hi all, I have to cancel my plans for the RU. DH just found out that the only week he can't take off in April is the first one so I can't come. I also very much doubt that my 'green card' snafu will be renewed by then since it takes months for the INS to process applications. I can't leave the US until I receive the renewal because I won't be able to get back in. So I'm going to cancel now and if by some remote chance, every problem clears up, then I can be thrilled then! It's so very disappointing and frustrating. I haven't told my sister yet, she'll be disappointed too, and we'll have a long-distance pity party. I'd still like to have a tote but I feel that attendees should get first dibs on them. Is that okay, Donna? We can visit about it closer to RU date, or email me. This is a bummer, for sure!!

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Laura, that really is too bad, so sorry you can't make it. Hopefully somthing will happen that will allow you to come.

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Bummer for sure, Laura! I was so looking forward to meeting you. Like Christine though, I am the eternal optomist regarding things like this, so I'm hoping something could still happen and you'll both be able to come. You'll get your tote regardless.

Thumbnail by OldFlowerGirl

Donna, that's nice. Me too, still hoping for the magic...

Merry Christmas all.

Christine.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

You can always wish upon a star!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Merry Christmas

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Did you get my e-mail this time, Elaine?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Sorry to hear the bad news Laura.....I've been watching your thread with the trials and tribulations you've been having. Hopefully it will get cleared up soon!!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

We're pulling for you, Laura & Christine! If things change at the last minute, don't hesitate to come on down.

I have some housekeeping for the list up top: received RU regrets from the following folks:

Todd_Boland (Todd), St. John's NF
PanamonCreel (Milan), Dorval QC
perrynguyen (Perry), Montréal QC
Songbird839 (Brenda), Medicine Hat AB
durtcom (Susan), SE of Calgary AB

Also, Donna, I have your cheque all sealed, addressed & stamped, and will put it in the first mailbox I see. Probably the departure lounge at the Saskatoon airport! My plane leaves for Winnipeg at 7:00 tomorrow morning... :-P I had originally booked a civilized departure time, but don't get me started on Air Canada...rrrr....

In that regard, I'll be out of cyber-range from tomorrow until New Year's Eve, so will take this opportunity to say bye y'all, Season's Greetings, Happy New Year, and I'll miss chatting with you! If you have clear skies, don't forget to check out the full moon on the night of Dec. 25th - the smallest full moon all year, as it's at the furthest point of its orbit around our lonely planet.

Happy and safe holidays to all,

~Shannon

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

No e-mail, Donna???? E

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

I wonder why e-mail isn't working from me to you. Everyone else is getting my personal e-mail aren't they? Let me know. I have sent two messages to Ealine and she hasn't received either one. Strange...

Anyway, Elaine, I'll just give you the info you wanted on this thread, OK?

Donna Kusch
421 - 104 Street
Castlegar, B.C.
VIN 3G6
God's Country (Just for Pam's benefit, LOL)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

YOU'RE A MEAN ONE, MRS. GRINCH

You're a mean one, Mrs. Grinch
You really are a heel,
You're as cuddly as a cactus, you're as charming as an eel, Mrs. Grinch,
You're a bad banana with a greasy black peel!

regarding: God's Country :b

This message was edited Dec 24, 2004 9:51 AM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

p.s. thank you for the snail mail addy I'll get my payment off to you right away! :)

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Moi? I'm hurt...and on the eve of Jesus & my birthday too! sniff...sniff

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I'm sorry...................................................................................................NOT!!

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

LOL

Happy Birthday Tomorrow Donna and Linda, the Christmas Cappys!!

May your day be filled with happiness, good cheer, friends and loved ones, and of course, lots of green plants.

Christine

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Thank you Christine!

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Thanks Christine, it's going to be a good day.

Oh, Pam, I don't want Donna to be taking all the flack about living in God's country, so I'll tell you that I mowed the back yard yesterday. It was a bit damp, but it felt and smelled so good...., Yes we BCer's do love to brag about our weather. I even saw the sun for about 5 min yesterday as ell. That's one thing we dont' get as much as the rest of the country in the winter.

Linda ;)

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Like I told my DH just this morning, Give me the clouds and the mild temperatures, anytime! OK, getting off my soapbox now...

Maybe so, Donna, but you got a big snow before we did ... nya, nya .... lol.

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

But ours is all gone now, nya, nya, nya, na, na. (For now) LOL

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Thanks going out to Linda! Got your cheque and thank you for the lovely card. Merry Christmas to you and Cheryl, too.

Touche Donna!! LOL

Here's my mums, alyssum and spikes on Tuesday night very early on in the snow storm, and before it all turned to ice rain and uglied up everything, in a shiny kind of way...lol.

Thumbnail by
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Y'all are really pushing me!!

Thank goodness there is Christine here! :)

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

No guys you are lotus land - everybody knows Alberta is god's country!!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

God's frozen country lol

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

hee,hee... wasn't me who said ...or Linda...

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Happy Birthday, Donna! Hope you're having a good one!!!!!!!!!

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Say Linda. I just happened upon an article in a the Canadian Magazine, Good Times, and found a travel article called " The Great Warm Indoors". In this article, under the heading of Butterflies & Blooms,

Quoting:
Victoria has one many butterfly houses across the country. Two others are located in Ontario in Cambridge and Niagara Falls. The colors spotted on these free-flying gems as they land on ears and noses are matched only by the hues of one of Canada's great indoor flower collections.

Have you been to the Butterfly House described above? Is it far from you? What are the chances of a visit when we are there for the RU? I'd love to see something like that. The photo opps would be phenomenal!

The article also went on to mention Winnipeg's beautiful Assiniboine Park, and Hamilton's Royal Botanical Gardens, and Montreal's Botanic Gardens. There is even a mention of Moose Jaw's Temple Gardens Spa, which I remember we discussed a while back, but also something that fascinated me, the infamous Tunnels of Moose Jaw where the Chinese railway workers would hide, trying to avoid return to their homeland and was also a haunt for bootleggers and even the likes of Al Capone! Interesting stuff!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Ah yes...our tunnels! There will be all kinds of fascinating things for you to discover when you come visit The Jaw Donna! ;)

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Victoria Butterfly gardens is a great place. Not only do they have butterflies, but they have a wonderful place full of tropicals as well. They do close in the winter, I'll check to see when they open. They are on the same road as Butchart gardens, so would be wise to see it when we are out towards Butcharts. I'm thinking here, that there's a lot that people want to get done, and I'm wondering if we have the time for all, or if we need to start prioritizing.

I have a bunch of photos from the butterfly gardens at webshots. http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=173679230

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Want to get done! Who is in a big hurry? When is Butchart scheduled?

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

I think I'm the one who's in a hurry. I think the time will fly by, and am an organiser and a worrier, so I'm trying to get things planned.

However, it may be best to just get everyone here, get together and plan our days and evenings then. It must be on the second part of this thread where we had talked about having Sunday morning free for church, and I think Saturday afternoon or morning is slated for Jeanne's presentation, as she's only here for Saturday for sure.

Honestly, I'll go with whatever is decided upon. There's so much to do and see, and so little time....

Butchart gardens, expect about 3-4 hours
Butteryfly gardens, expect about an hour, 2 including travel time
Dinter nursery south of Duncan, great place to go for tropicals, including travel time, expect 2.5-3 hours.
Gov't house gardens, expect 1-2 hours
Abkhazi gardens, maybe an hour, I've never been there
Marigold, Garden works, Elk lake, and other nurseries, could take a full day to get to them all
Jeanne's presentation, either morning or afternoon
Sight seeing??

Other ideas?

Linda in Victoria

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Hi all. I've been up at Whistler since last Thursday. Just drove down to check on the plants.
If you decide to go to Butterfly Gardens you'll see a few of my plants there.
I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas with your family and friends. We had snow, marvelous snow in Whistler. How beautiful it is.

Campbell River, BC(Zone 8a)

Linda I tried to check out your pictures on Webshots but it wouldn't let me, even after I logged in...I am a member.

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

I dunno Sandy, my user name there is lindawre. So if you're a member, what's your username, so we can check out your photos heh?

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Must have been a wonderful Christmas Liz! :D

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

I checked out he webshots website and looked at all the community photos under Butterfly Gardens, Victoria. I think I saw your Brugs, Liz! Looks like it is a fabulous place. Hopefully we 'll have time.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Yes, it was a wonderful Christmas. My daughter came up from Vancouver and my son and his fiancee from Sidney Australia were there. In my mind there is nothing more special than having a Whistler Christmas with the ones you love.
We've had our place up there since 1985. Every year I'm always amazed at the changes. I love it up there, the air is clean, dry and frosty this time of year. Thankfully over the years we have gotten past being able to get one tv and radio channel, CBC, to everything. When we first started going up there as a family they didn't even have a grocery store or stop light.

Campbell River, BC(Zone 8a)

Okay Linda, my user name is _sandy287 I have an album of mushroom pictures that I took in the fall that you're welcome to look at. They're not exciting but I rather like taking pictures of mushrooms. I can only identify chanterelles which are the ones we were looking for that day.

I've never been to Whistler but it sounds nice Liz.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.