Are Iris Invading your Garden?

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Nice, rich colors on that historic of yours John. I'm glad you posted that one.

Speaking of Demi-Deuil, I've only had it for one year and did not use it in a cross yet. (so no seeds yet) It is a smaller species than the TBs. (The actual name of the species is: Iris I. variegata, and it tends to grow rather short - - 12 to 22 inches tall or so)

A cross on this with Tropical Butterfly would prove to be interesting, (and possibly even difficult depending on the chromosome count on each of these). Also I'm thinking if a cross were to occur - Not only would the color pattern results be interesting, but also they would likely vary in heights anywhere between 12 inches to maybe 36-38 inches tall.

I hope it'll prove to be a good tough grower. I'll let you all know.

Moerkerke_Damme, Belgium(Zone 7b)

I must have other and better pics from it somewhere, when i find them i'll post one.
Don't no if it's a tall bearded but it's 36-38 inches tall definited. So it's not a Minature! I am a little bit in shame to admit that i don't no between a tall bearded
I am still looking for a good book about iris, in Dutch is noting to find. So end up with a couple (english books) or titles:
Magic of Irises by Barbara Perry Lawton; The Gardener's Guide to Growing Irises By Geoff Stebbings; The Gardener's Iris Book by William Shear.

I looking for something 'educatief encyclopedia like' For daylilies i bought : The Color Encyclopedia of Daylilies by Ted L. Petit, John P. Peat.
Ain't there something like that for Irises? Maybe between the titles i put? Does someone got one of these books?

I had daylilies for years, only the last 3 years i'm really inside of them. Now the same is getting over me with irises.
Now i must say that i always admired them en could be enjoyed looking at there shape and color. But i dont now where the pollen (stamens) sit's and where the pistil is, i just never concentrated on that! I looking for a'n image or drawing like the one i posted in this reply, than about irisses instead of a daylily.
I'll almost can start a threat about all the things a wanna know. I someone willing to give me a quick course"how make a exeptional hydridizer out of a dummy"LOL
I am so a shamed, really!

Thumbnail by John_Benoot
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Hi, I'm not at home but I have some good iris books (I think) I will check for you, John, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will answer you sooner on books and illustrations. I know there has been information on propagation on DG somewhere here in the iris forum. Anyone have a link?

Margie, if you are at all interested I would send you rhizomes of Honorabile (looks like a mtb-yellow and rust), Kashmir White, or the so far unidentified yellow that I'm sure is a historic iris to use for hybridizing. I have no intention of hybridizing iris at this point and I'd love to contribute to your work, but I will understand if they are not what you need.

I am curious, Boojum

Books I have are: "Iris" by Fritz Kohlein (translated-I assume from German) Timber Press, 1987. It has instructions on hybridizing and pollination with line drawings. Older but good.

Also: "The World of Irises" edited by Bee Warburton and Melba Hamblen, assistant editor, 1978 also with line drawings for cross pollinating. Older, but very good book. Here's a review from our very own "garden bookworm" tab: http://davesgarden.com/gbw/c/993/

Here's another that looks good: http://davesgarden.com/gbw/c/467/

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

My favorite iris book is ;

Tall Bearded Iris Pictorial Reference by Janice Frizzell
It's a paperback with hundreds of closeup photos of Tall Bearded, heights, bloom time. breeder etc.

You can order direst from : www.tnstateirisgarden.com/book.htm

This is my second copy--Walker the Wonderdog turned the first one into confetti one day last spring. I think he was jealous of all the time I spent with it...

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Every time I check into this updated thread I get to see that first post of Wanda's 3 colors of Iris that make such a beautiful combination! I hope to put something like that together in the future. This fall I dug up and rearranged so many Iris it will all be a surprise next summer. I remember trying to put combinations together but time will tell me how successful that effort was since most of them have no labels and I was working from memory. Risky business!

Wanda; Boojum, Good links thanks. If you should find another recommend, just do so. Great!

I have "The Gardeners Iris Book" by William Shearer. It doesn't have as many photos of Tall Bearded, but includes good color photos of Siberians, Dutch, Japanese as well as garden care & planting ideas. A better overview of Iris in general.

I found it at Amazon for $16.50 :

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1561582409/002-4105814-5969651?v=glance

I love books, so gardening books are delightful to browse thru this time of year. if I ever get a quiet moment....

I have to get me visa or something, Wanda
Just check here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/470250/

Can you sign up for Paypal from Belgium? It has been so long since I've been to Europe that I forget the rules.

Our older daughter went to France a couple of years ago with her high school class, but being a Mom put a halt on my globetrotting. Got my DH to go to various parts of Mexico, Jamaica, the Bahamas & Canada, but haven't drug him across the pond yet. Too bad the World Trapshoot Competition is in Ohio instead of Europe. I bet I could get him to go to THAT!

I went yesterday to the bank and they advised Visa, because they have no expierence with Paypal! And there is no one i know that has. So i will have a Visa by next week, that must give me more possibility's. I can always swith to Paypal when i got the full information about it. They told me when something get's wrong with Visa(abuse) they take full responsebility. That sounds good to me, though!

I have found some nurseries that do international shippings, i see those irises already coming my way, yesssss......

John--see? A true addict will find a way.... :) May I be the first to wish you and your lovely family a Happy New Year?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I just found this thread and thoroughly enjoyed looking at the iris pics--beautiful! and they made me long for Spring! Thanks for posting!

John--I'm thinking that you could sign up for Paypal if you go on the Ebay site. That's what I did here in the States....I haven't had any trouble with Paypal but have only used it maybe 25 times...

Happy New Year to All! t.

Wish you all a wonderfull bloomseason for 2005 and many years after that!!!

tabasco, thanks for the information!!!

Wow, only a few more months to spring!!! Happy New Year, all! Here's to your best gardening year ever!
Boojum

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.