Is this really legal? III

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Ah, factor in the wonderful world of bugs and fungi! It is absolutely amazing how plants work hand in hand with these fellows to foil our efforts to make the land support only the plants we want. I don't suppose nature would have ever devised acres of produce, as we have. Cultivation is such a sticky slope. I feel fortunate that our climate doesn't endear us to many of the bugs, but it doesn't endear us to most of the cultivation, as well!

Caron, that is fascinating information. I'm not even sure what 'rust' is, so I don't know that it is a problem here. Perhaps it requires warmth we don't have, or perhaps I just have been ignorant of it. I recently had a discussion with a friend who is a botanist. She was explaining the relationship between our alders and the local broomrape. It is amazing how nature provides such an intricate cycle to support so many things we don't want, and so many things we do.

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

Weez
Not sure if you clime is inhospitable to some of the same rusts or not...but seems to be most prevalant on trees and particularly of conifers in your region. Probably specific adapatations to clime where rust on grasses and deciduous ttees might not have enought time (or even the specific hosts they require) to mature-and that's just a guess on my part.
Yes, fascinating stuff to say the least...a tangled web to be sure!!

Here is some info for you...
http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF2/255.html
http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/spf/fhp/leaflets/Sprbrorus.htm
http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/spf/fhp/leaflets/Piegalrus.htm
http://www.forestpests.org/nursery/cottonwoodleafrusts.html

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks, Caron! That was some fascinating reading! I don't recall seeing our white or Sitka spruce developing such brooms or orange coloration, but I haven't been looking for it. I imagine the websites would chose images of obvious infestation, so I'm sure they are not all so pronounced. I found it interesting that the 'brooms' can serve as birds' nests, and that healthier trees don't seem to sustain damage from this infestation. It seems nature has its way of culling out the weak.

We have a spruce in our yard that has been host to a very strange and ugly shelf-fungus. I discovered it along a lumber bordered flower bed next to the tree, as well as a bit along its base. The fungus was almost black and had an appearance similar to the gills on a king crab... only comparison that comes to mind! The tree is obviously not healthy. It has many dead branches and sap oozing here and there along the trunk. I'm sure we'll have to cut it down at some point. I'm assuming the tree was failing and the fungus arrived after the fact. Is that likely?

the brooms serve as nest for flying squirrels too...

Very true that natures serves to cull the weak. As you probably know Mountain Pine beetle is rampant here for the same reason...overstocking, monocultures with same age trees, and fire suppression.

My guess would be that as well. Here, mountain pine beetle carries blue stain fungus so it's a double whammy-where the tree might have survived a light attack, the fungus can be worse in weakening the tree and now prone to worse insect attacks in subsequent years...the cycle continues...

With all that sap oozing I might be looking for insect pests as well. Not sure tho what you've got up there.....

I love bugs! Didn't used to but certainly have a new found appreciation for them! I am trying, unsuccessfully so far, to colonize Gallerucella beetles. I understand it can take a few years. If they colonize in the next few years, I think I will have a new found love of the Hylobius species.

I love fungus too! Say WZ, any thoughts to letting that Spruce tree come down on its own to add to biomass for the soil? Yes, normally when a tree is stressed, other pathogens view it as an open invitation to come on in and have a field day. Not always though. And beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Any way you can post a photo of your shelf fungus?

As far as rust, I've come to the conclusion that rust just sort of happens as chemical controls seem to be so ineffective. I remove any galls or telial horns I find and burn them regardless of the species. That gets to a source here and there and can actually reduce spore spread. Other than that, most rust is going to be worse in wetter years than it will in dryer years. It's somewhat cyclical. For the most part, it doesn't necessarily directly kill a tree but it does make it look extremely unattractive. Caron, your thoughts as my experience here is limited.

Back to Dodecatheon, I am thinking she might have been referring to mycorrhizal root fungi. That can do a number on anything growing in and around where it is present. The rust I was walking in over by me was all from my hawthorns. Nasty! It looked as if somebody was exploding pumpkins for a while.

Equil
Hawthorn rust infects grasses? Or is it that the spores cover everything?

Hey-where did you get your Gallerucella beetles? I too have an appreciation for bug (from biocontrol efforts here) but are not particularly fond of them except for my friends the spiders!!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Equil, LOL! Let the tree come down on its own! It's not 4 feet away from my hubby's workshop! Believe me, our woods has lots of deadfall that have come down on their own. I love the mosses and bracken that take up residence, along with all the little critters that live in them.

Caron, we are plagued by the spruce beetle up here. It's preference seems to be the white spruce, and our trees are primarily Sitka here in the Seward area. The hills northwest of us have turned brown with the dead spruce... a great fire danger. My friend has told me that most of our trees here are not necessarily Sitka, but rather our own cross-breed, and thus perhaps prone to attract the spruce beetle. I've seen no signs of infestation locally, but it is entirely possible at any time. This tree has been less than happy for many years, but we are loath to cut it down... foolish perhaps, since it could attract disease or beetle.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens

Nope, hawthorn rust only blankets everything just as if vandals went and sprinkled orange dust everywhere to cover their tracks then backed out of the area. There were a few weeks here where it looked like the Great Pumpkin from the big pumpkin patch was leaving tracks everywhere. The spores really show up best on an asphalt driveway that has been freshly sealed and white kitchen floors and well... everything they show up well on.

Arachnids, love those too but I really have a thing for odonata!

Neighbor down the road special ordered the Gallerucella. He's trying to colonize them too. I placed an additional order through my Heritage Biologist's source. They weren't all that expensive either. I can go look up his e-mail address and post it for you over in the PMs here for you later and you can contact him yourself but they aren't all that difficult to get your hands on around here. Hoepfully, they'll become a dime a dozen real soon so we can all share.

That's my understanding toois that wet years are really bad-dry years worse. Not much you can do except what you've been by burning. Chemical controls have to be timed exactly right it seems are very nasty. Not worth it unless you've got an entire crop at stake.....

I got some Gallerucella for a project here, but for free-that's why I was asking...just wondering what you paid is all and where you got them. Are you using Hylobius as well or having any luck with them??

Good luck with that spruce beetle, Weez. It may be many years before the infestation subsides. We've been under atack for about 8 years here and belive it is and 8-10 year cycle before it dies down. We are due for large fires here with the drought and now lots of standing deadwood.
Interesting that the Hayman fire a couple of years ago (and not far from my house) seems to have thinned the forest very successfully but pushed the beetle into new areas around hereit wasn't previously and that the beetle had skipped over. Weird how this happens.
Nothing to do but let it run it's course, thin at the right time. The 3 neighbors around us took down over 100 infected ponderosas this spring. Don't know why, but with all the pondos in the yard I don't have beetles (yet). I'm sure not gonna spray trees with the nasty stuff it takes to kill these tho...

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Our spruce beetle infestation has probably run its course on the other side of the Kenai Peninsula. It's been over 15 years since it began, I believe. I was most aware of it at that time because my 2nd husband and I had a small circle saw mill and cut lots of the infected white spruce. Unfortunately, cutting has not been allowed in most of the federally regulated areas, so the standing dead trees pose a great fire hazard.

Alaska is such a huge state and so isolated from what we call the 'lower 48', that it is often hard to explain the conditions here. We are separated from area to area by distances, rivers, mountains, and in the case of Seward and Homer... the entire Harding Icefield. Though I know these conditions do not necessarily eliminate the possibility of infection or infestation, I do believe it greatly reduces or isolates it.

WZ, that tree would be brought down to its knees with it being in such close proximity to a work area. I'm all for biomass as long as my husband wouldn't become one with the earth along with a tree.

caron, I attempted to colonize two different beetles. I was hoping one to go after the flowers and one to go after the roots. I figured between the two of them that one would establish. No success with either so I am going to have to go back to square one and start all over again. My neighbor didn't have any luck either and he started his attempt in 1998 or 1999. I'll go get my source but I can tell you it was less than $100. I don't know if the cost was subsidized by the DNR but how much can beneficial bugs cost? I'll pm you.

Yes you have great geographical isolation then! You are right-great for recucing infection/infestation (you climate doesn't hurt either).
Do you have a slew of rare plants there because of it?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Ummm, folks. Could I ask you to do me (and other readers a favor?) If you want to talk about rust, galls, trees, grasses, and bugs (beneficial and otherwise), would you mind parsing this out into different threads?

I ask this for two reasons:

1) it's difficult for a person perusing this forum to know where to search for specific information when it's buried ten topics (and dozens of posts) deep.

2) Assuming they find the thread and read to the bottom, it's difficult for anyone else to "break into" a conversation when it gets too lengthy and goes down too many sideroads - it begins to feel more like a private dialogue than a discussion thread.

Don't get me wrong - it's all good stuff, and worthy of having separate threads for each topic.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

You know, caron, I'm ashamed to say, I don't know! We have many, many micro climates here. The growing conditions here are quite different from Ceeades who lives about a mile from me. I live in the midst of woodland with mountains surrounding me, and she lives on the graveled edge of a river with full sun. Her season starts a full week or more before mine and gets much warmer.

Living in close proximity to the sea and surrounded by mountains, we see a lot of precipitation. Our soil stays cool, even in the summer, as well. We don't have a humidity problem, I would assume because we don't have enough heat to create true humidity! LOL! On the other hand, as you head up to interior Alaska, they have summers that reach the 90's and winters that drop far, far below zero F.

Here our soil is mostly composted forest material and glacial silt, usually on the acidic side, so most gardeners build raised beds and import loamy soil from the Matanuska Valley area. Drainage is good here, since we are gravel based, but rainy winters can kill plants when the ground is frozen and doesn't drain.

My son likes to hike and mountain bike up our local mountain trails. I often send my digital camera with him and when he brings it back, I am so excited to download the photos. It really makes me wish I were younger and less fat! I'd love to roam the mountain sides looking for rare plants! I do have some photos, though few close ups, and a good copy of "Flora of Alaska", if you are interested in which rare plants grow here.

I've been trying to grow some of our wild plants in cultivation here. I feel that collecting seeds or dividing these plants in cultivation will help protect them in the wild, as people are often prone to dig plants that are in full bloom, or just unlikely to survive in cultivation. This, of course, could start a whole new issue of controversy, and I don't wish to do so. It is just a fact that this area is so pristine that we have not, as a community begun to address the issue. Our town has a population of less than 4000, and many of them, like me, have never climbed these mountains or even walked these trails.

Wauconda, IL

Caron,

Rust is a bad thing! Rust decimates my black hollyhocks every year (they're an heirloom variety, and not resistant), which angers me as the hollyhocks are descended from the ones that Thomas Jefferson bred at Monticello. Want some seeds? However, Lauren's husband told me that buckthorn was a host plant for rust. I found out that it is the Hawthorn that is a host plant for rust! Buckthorn hosts aphids...it's hard to keep them all straight. My bad! I apologise for the mis-information! I will say, though, that my neighbor who has the buckthorn has his shoes turn orange every time he mows his lawn! He probably has some other kind of endemic kind of rust problem that just loves his lawn and his lawn only, because I don't have that problem here. Garden sulphur(it's organic!) will cure his problem. I will tell him about it this spring. We just noticed it this fall. April

Hi Terry, can you move just the posts that belong somewhere else out of here? Is it possible just to move posts maybe over into Garden Foes under a thread titled Buckthorn Woes or something? I saw an entire thread move once but I don't know if you can just move posts from a thread into another thread? I'll start another thread over there if you want and then maybe everything after and including bogman's post with his link dated Nov 28 at 10:28pm could be moved into it? Is that ok?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Sorry, it's not possible to split up a thread. Y'all are welcome to start "fresh" with your basic questions, one per thread and go from there.

I have to admit I have forgotten what the basic question was or how we all even ended up on buckthorn. I'll think of something to put over there about buckthorns!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Good point, Equil... I think we've gotten off the subject... which I guess was not bickering, but the nice thing is that there was no bickering while we were doing it! I'd really like to discuss the relationship of plants to one another, too...just find a spot and I'll follow.

He he, look over for bogman's post in Garden Foes as he claimed rust! I had fun in his thread. Next thing you know we'll be talking about slime molds. I started one on buckthorn. Too tired to transfer the applicable posts from here to that buckthorn thread but I'll get around to it.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I'll go over & take a look...Thanks!

Wauconda, IL

Well, there's always the dog-vomit slime mold:

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/slime1.htm

Keep scrolling down! Yum!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Oh, my word, my favorite was the Fuligo septica. Maybe the comment that it resembles peanut butter wooed me... or is that woed me.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Drat! Timed out on me before I got to the end. I'll try again later.

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

Well that Mold is pretty cool!!!! I love things like that in nature, even creepy stuff that has accumulated in the past in my fridge, LOL, I should have finished College for sure, and I really like Dung Beetles, the ones in Australia were fascinating, ok, so I'm I'm different, LOL, Annie

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hey, has anybody started a thread on this subject somewhere? I didn't see it. I'm ready to talk slime!

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

Weez, youre as weird as I am, LOL, good point! Show us the way

Wauconda, IL

My High School botany project was to keep a slime mold alive(in a petri dish) for a whole term! From fall to end of the following summer. Jeez, they're demanding, but I did it~ april

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I forgot to post a link to a fungi thread in Wild Plants: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/471825/

Wauconda, IL

Equil...

Just FYI, Mychorizzal Fungi is a good thing. No plants would survive without it.

Sorry, I'm fresh out of neural cell activity right about now. I'll give you my password, go and correct what ever I screwed up. I'm still trying to find information on the fawn colored squirrel and am batting 1000. Did you post anything over at the fungi thread? I gotta go over there and take a look see!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.