New African Mask Plant

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

I just bought a little starter African Mask plant (small investment in case it dies). I've been admiring them for quite awhile, and when I saw the starter I jumped on it. I checked on PDB and found some conflicting information and several people whose plants didn't do so well. Does anyone have any advice on this one-- especially a good location as far as light requirements? Thanks!

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

here's some info for you:
http://www.denverplants.com/foliage/html/AloPoly.htm
http://www.smithandhawken.com/html/resource/rsc_guru_redux/2001/rsc_guru0514.jhtml (scroll almost to bottom)

these at least seem to agree and the trick appears to be 1) warm temps, 2) indirect lighting, 3) constantly moist but not soggy soil with increased humidity.
Good luck

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

danak, I'm guess you are talking about an Alocasia African Mask. I too had admired them online for months but never could find one. Then a few weeks ago I finally found one. I was so excited. But that didn't last very long because the leaves started dying, at a rate of one leaf per day. I didn't have my receipt so I couldn't take it back. Well I did some research and decided to try some things that I had read. First I put it on a pebble tray. Then I bought this small base that you screw a light buld into. I got it at Walmart for about $3. Then I bought one of those screw in florescent bulbs. I then mounted the base to the wall above the flower. It has a small hole in the back so you can mount it. These bulbs do get a little bit warm, so I just keep the leaves a few inches away from the bulb. I also mist the leaves several times a day. And believe it or not, the plant is doing well now. No more dead leaves. This plant takes a lot of nurturing but I think it is worth it. In fact, I bought another one. Here is a picture of how it is set up. Sorry for the bright spot in the middle of the pick but that is the base with the bulb in it and the bulb is turned on. If you need any other pics of it, I will be happy to take more of them.

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii
Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Nice plants, JesseK! And thanks to both of you for your advice. It sounds like the trick is the humidity and indirect light. I guess I'm ready to give it a try!

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

danak,
I have several and I discovered they can take a bit more sunshine than I first understood. I had mine on the front porch in filtered morning sun and they are all huge and healthy. They will start to go dormant under 50 degrees. I've had babies go dormant if I forget and water them with cold water. :(

They did over winter in the house last year will little care.

MsC

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Okay, maybe I'll err on the side of a little more light then. I'm sure with a bit of tinkering I'll find a good place for it. Thanks!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

danak, here's one more tip that may help. Since these plants require a bit more moisture, sprinkle some Diatomaceous Earth on the top of the soil. This will keep away those pesky fungus gnats. This does not show up in my pic which is because I forgot to do it. But when I went back and looked at my Alocasias, those pesky little gnats were already flying all around it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.