Advice on Low Light Areas

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is a picture of my corner computer armior.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=1124306

Can anyone tell me if the lighing is too low for me to put my pothos ivy on top if it (the furniture piece) when I bring it (the ivy) in for the winter?

Pflugerville, TX(Zone 8b)

Your photo doesn't show any light sources but assuming you have general overhead lighting and a window somehwere in the room the pothos should be fine. Ivys are very hardy and can tolerate low lighting quite well. Just be sure to reduce watering to match the drop in lighting level.

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, just an overhead light in the middle of the ceiling. The two windows face the north.

Greenback, TN

a fern would be stunning up there.

Yes, a fern would look lovely, but ferns need to be kept moist and watering 3-4 times a week would be a pain way up there. A pothos would be perfect, it would grow down the sides of the armoir, and needs far less watering. Beautiful armoir jdee.

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks so much. I'm just trying to find places to put my plants when I bring them inside, and they need to be out of the cats' reach. lol
I wish they'd leave them alone, but the reason I put them out on the porch in the first place is because the cats were chewing them, and some of them are on the toxic list. It scared me, and I put them outside on the porch and thought, "Wow. They look pretty nice out there." Then I started buying more to decorate the porch, and now I have to find a place for them. (sigh)

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

I was sitting at my desk, and look what I looked up to find. I was thinking of putting a plant up there, but maybe this is a better decoration. lol

Thumbnail by jdee

Thats a way better decoration jdee!! My kids like high places too, but if I put plants up there, they're not interested any more - fortunate for the plants!!

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

I hope that's the case here too. We had Thanksgiving dinner at my house this year, and had to move the furniture to add a couple of folding tables. When we get it arranged back, there will be no way for her to get up there. Poor Annie.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I have a pothos that survives in a powder room w/ no window and the lights are only on for a few moments a day. Great low-light plant for me & I kill plenty of plants :)

Pittsboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Carol, another plant that survives with practically no light is snake plant aka mother-in-law's tongue. I think the bot name is sansiveria (spelling probably incorrect). Greta

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Your kitty is soooo cute! And I think it's great that he/she can read your mind so well! Foiled before you even started - LOL!

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL! She really is a mess isn't she?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.