Plants with low light requirement

Pittsboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi, even though I'm not new to DG, I am new to this forum and could use some help. Even though we have a plant nursery, I am not experienced with house plants. I am looking for a houseplant which would look good in a hanging basket/container AND which doesn't need direct sunlight. Your suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
Greta in NC

Greenback, TN

pothos

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

What's you window exposure?
Pothos, ivy, spider plant, string of hearts and swedish Ivy. Some ferns make great hanging baskets too.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

staghorn ferns are my favorites!

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

Wondering Jew or purple passion.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

What about a philodendron? I have a huge one hanging in the corner of my living room and it does great. I don't water it very often, but when i do, i take it down, and put it in the shower. Then I turn on the shower for a few minutes. This not only waters the plant, but cleans the leaves as well.

Greenback, TN

peace lilies, diffenbachia...both very easy and pretty plants.

Pittsboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Everyone, thanks so much for the suggestions. I'm familiar with a few of them and think they're probably available in my area. Will make a list and go shopping! I appreciate your input.
Greta

Pittsboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi, I checked out Walmart but didn't find anything that seemed suitable. However, Caron had mentioned ivy and I had a hanging pot in the garden which I brought in. (It survived last winter outside so I'm curious to see how it does inside!). Here is a picture of it hanging in the walk-in shower. Another photo will follow. Thanks for your suggestions.
Greta

Thumbnail by gretaduck
Pittsboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi, again.....here is a close-up which, I hope, shows the new growth on the ivy. Guess "she" must be happy with her new home. Jesse mentioned using the shower to water.....all I have to do is aim the flexible showerhead at the pot once a week!
Greta

Thumbnail by gretaduck
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Ok - now I'm curious...I've always kept my Spider plant in direct, bright light and it does great. Is this an either/or plant, or did I just luck out??? Also, I have a very tiny peace lily and was told it should be in direct light. It's verysmall and the growth is VERY slow. Should I move it to an indirect light spot?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.