Thanksgiving Cactus

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This plant is just starting to bloom. Looks like it will be very full with bloom shortly.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow. very nice plant CountryGardens. Thanks for sharing the picture.
Patti

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

I have one that is going to bloom really well this year. It lives in the sunroom (50-60 degrees, 3 hours of filtered sun). Do you think I could bring it into the house while it blooms? It would get bright indirect morning sun - 4-5 hours, and the temp runs 70-74 degrees. I don't want to shock it, and have it drop buds!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Really nice I luv the color, i have a pink one blooming now
i had one of those kitties-but he has had it!!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

It is supposed to be a bad idea to move a cactus. Don't really have any experience with moving them. This one got turned a little so we could get the new windows in & the wall redone. So far so good!
When not in bloom ours have been mistreated many times. Usually get divided by someone throwing a ball into them or some other unknown mishap.
Bernie

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

Just beautifull, mine are still outside, I wonder if it's time to bring in the house, I want them to bloom so much, night temps have been from 45-55,

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Here is a photo of my Thanksgiving cactus, (is schlumbergia the right name?) coming into bloom right on time. Donna -Schlumbergia truncata, is I think correct.

Thumbnail by rutholive
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Here is a photo of a small plant of Plectranthus hillardii. I have another variety out in the greenhouse that is just beginning to bloom. Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Well, I moved the cactus inside, and it's covered in blooms. I waited until the sunroom was really warm one afternoon last week, and brought it in. No bud drop yet. It's the best it's ever been! 25 or so blooms going now, more to come. I'm glad it's in the house to enjoy.
Happy Thanksgiving-
susan

Pickering, ON(Zone 5b)

This is a series of photo's of my collection of Thanksgiving Cactus.

They are all either starting to bloom , blooming or in bud..

Anna

Thumbnail by Annetta_S
Pickering, ON(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by Annetta_S
Pickering, ON(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by Annetta_S
Pickering, ON(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by Annetta_S
Pickering, ON(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by Annetta_S
Pickering, ON(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by Annetta_S
Pickering, ON(Zone 5b)

Last but no least

Thumbnail by Annetta_S
Meade, KS(Zone 6a)

Beautiful photos, Bernie, Anna and Donna..I am drooling..Janetlee

Wow, how very pretty indeed!!!! thanks for posting them!!!

Greenville, SC

Here's mine. Blooming it's little heart out in it's 4" pot.

Thumbnail by Zoomer

Very pretty, I really like the color! Happy Thanksgiving to all of you, Annie

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have always read that the Thanksgiving Cactus likes to be left outside for a couple of extra weeks when it starts getting really cold at night--but NOT freezing! Like maybe upper 40's or so. It helps them set bud. By the time I bring mine in they are all showing multi-buds at the end of their tips.

One note! Once the buds start to elongate, it is NOT a good idea to move them and change their light orientation, as this causes the buds to try to turn towards the light source and they can drop off. If you MUST move them, position them just the same way they were.

Other reasons for bud drop are too low a humidity, too hot, and too much watering.

Also, when the bloomed out flowers start to wilt, DO NOT try to pull them off! Allow them to drop on their own. I hope all this helps someone! Gitagal

Gitagal, thanks so much for your info! Mine have not set buds yet, just a new leaf start, the evening temps have been around 38.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

lazygirl1, you have a lovely collection of schlumbergera. I have three others that are still out in the GH they have buds and i will bring them in probably one at a time. Donna

One of mine has only a few flowers right now, they're so pretty.

Thumbnail by
Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, everyone! I received a small Thanksgiving cactus cutting from my husband's grandma at Thanksgiving. I don't know if I have a good place for it, though. I can offer it a windowsill on a north window. Is this going to be enough? Also, do i really need to put it outside part of the fall???

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

I have one that never goes outdoors, and it bloomed beautifully this year. I also broke the rule and moved it just as the buds were getting ready to open- we couldn't see the plant in the sun room. It bloomed just fine, I guess I was lucky. Most of the small later blooms dropped, but they usually do that for me anyway. Mine bloomed OK in a north window, but has done better with a partly shaded southern exposure. The winter sun doesn't seem to bother it. It is much happier since I added sand to the potting mix, and fertilize it every other week.

Danville, VA(Zone 7b)

how do get these fellows to pollinate or seed. I've tried useing a paint brush , with no luck so far. Any help anyone.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

If you are interested in trading cuttings, please post on this thread what you have and what you want. Kinda lika a group trade/swap.

I would be glad for someone other than me to take over and run the swap

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/486024/

Judy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.