Suggestions for rooting Tree Ivy

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Has anyone out there successfully rooted Tree Ivy? I understand it is pretty hard to do?
Today, I found a piece of Tree Ivy that fell from a tree lying among the Ivy on the ground. Two years ago I would not have realized what it was. At least I can identify what I have but now... what do I do with it? Do I just dip it in root tone and put it in a pot and keep it in the house for the winter (I'm zone 5) It is quite a large piece with 4-6 branches, The whole thing is pretty woody, except for the tips where this years growth was.Should I divide it up so I have a higher chance of one rooting? And also divide so that I am not trying to keep alive one large piece but rather 4-6 smaller pieces? What can I do to promote root growth? Suggestions please.
S

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

What is tree ivy? Is it different than English ivy?

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi sylvi74,

Yes, tree ivy is different from English Ivy. I learned about tree ivy about 2 years ago. I thought the women who was telling me was joking, but she was not. I figure I still have a lot to learn, but this is what I know. First, my tree ivy has come from the classic English Ivy 'Hedera Helix'. It can come from other varieties too. I have seen Plant Delights Nursery sell other varieties.At the moment they are only offering:Fatshedera lizei 'Annemieke' (Tree Ivy).they had some others in last years catalog.

The following is my understanding of how 'Tree Ivy' forms (If someone know differently-please correct me) Tree Ivy comes from the Juvenile form of the Ivy, which is the vines that grow on the ground. It grows up a tree and at some point in time it starts to mature and the vine becomes woody, it starts to branch out and the leaves change shape. The branches hang away from the trunk of the tree. They will also form berries on the tips.
I have attached some pictures
1) one tip of the branch that came off the tree showing the berries, notice the difference in the leaf shape from regular English Ivy

Thumbnail by Shadyfolks
Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

2) you can see this years and last years growth (woody)

Thumbnail by Shadyfolks
Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

3)Close-up of tree ivy growing on one of our trees (just below the broken branch on the left)

Thumbnail by Shadyfolks
Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

4)Far-away picture of tree ivy growing on the tree (look just below the broken branch)

Thumbnail by Shadyfolks
Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

5)This is the Tree Ivy I purchased two years ago it grows like a bush notice the shape of the leaves are different than English Ivy. This plant would have been a little larger except that the deer nibbled on it last winter. This year it will go into winter with Liquid Fence sprayed on it.

So again, I ask if anyone has any tips on rooting this plant I sure would appreciate hearing from you soon. My bucket of water started to freeze over last night, so I need to do something soon.
Thanks,S

Thumbnail by Shadyfolks
Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

That's really interesting, but I can't think of any tricks for rooting other than personally, I would cut it into several parts for a better chance of getting something to grow. Thanks for the explanation.

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

I have observed that ivy will eventually send up an upright stalk and then bloom on that stalk. I seem to remeber that a cutting of that upright stalk will continue to grow upright.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.