Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: Suggestions for rooting Tree Ivy, 1 by Shadyfolks

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Shadyfolks

In reply to: Suggestions for rooting Tree Ivy

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Suggestions for rooting Tree Ivy
Shadyfolks wrote:
Hi sylvi74,

Yes, tree ivy is different from English Ivy. I learned about tree ivy about 2 years ago. I thought the women who was telling me was joking, but she was not. I figure I still have a lot to learn, but this is what I know. First, my tree ivy has come from the classic English Ivy 'Hedera Helix'. It can come from other varieties too. I have seen Plant Delights Nursery sell other varieties.At the moment they are only offering:Fatshedera lizei 'Annemieke' (Tree Ivy).they had some others in last years catalog.

The following is my understanding of how 'Tree Ivy' forms (If someone know differently-please correct me) Tree Ivy comes from the Juvenile form of the Ivy, which is the vines that grow on the ground. It grows up a tree and at some point in time it starts to mature and the vine becomes woody, it starts to branch out and the leaves change shape. The branches hang away from the trunk of the tree. They will also form berries on the tips.
I have attached some pictures
1) one tip of the branch that came off the tree showing the berries, notice the difference in the leaf shape from regular English Ivy