Help with Swedish Ivy

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I recently bought a couple of 10" hanging baskets from Lowe's. One is a "black" Swedish Ivy (Plectranthus sp.) which is doing quite well. The other one is a regular old Swedish Ivy (Plectranthus australis) and it is not doing very well. The leaves develop black spots on them and then they eventually shrivel up and fall off. I have it in moderatley moist soil and medium light which is what the label says. Does anyone know why the leaves are turning dark, and if so, what is causing it and can it be saved.

Thank you,

Jesse K

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii
Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

I will be watching to see if you get any answers.i am having same problem. I took mine back outside it was making such a mess droping leaves. My daughters doing same. I dont remember this problem from before. Last year i had one on the floor in a cardboard box on unheated greenhouse floor and it went crazy. Early spring i kept greenhouse above freezing. I used it forr cuttings and it set in there all summer, just pitched it when i got my greenhouse ready for fall.

Every swedish ivy I've ever had does this, and since they're so messy I've stopped keeping them. I'd be interested to know why too, since they have such lovely foliage, and can look just outstanding.

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

The swedish ivies I keep do much better outdoors, they need tons of humidity and love dappled sunshine.I'm guessing one of two things caused the black spots....too dry of air indoors or fertilizer burn....

Here's a pretty good article that might offer more tips.

http://www.bachmans.com/tipsheets/indoor_plants/SwedishIvies.cfm

MsC

That'll be the "too dry indoors" that caused mine - I always over-dilute my fertilizer. Thanks very much MsC!

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

ceedub,
I quit keeping them in the house for the same reason... I just don't need ANYTHING else to make a mess around here..lol

I keep one outside the back patio doors... that way I can see it but I don't have the mess...:)

That's good to know MsC; in this climate it sounds best to treat it like an annual, or to have a nice greenhouse for the leaves to littler up in the winter ... lol. Thanks again.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks to all of you for your help. I will be trying your various suggestions. And next time I will think twice before buying something that I am not familiar with. Once again, many thanks.

JesseK

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

I was going to say fertilizer burn or overwatering. I use time release on these. Being in the direct line of heating or ac vents is also lethal to many houseplants and will cause them to drop leaves. I have one of these out in the blistering sun with the cactus, gets watered when they do, and is doing beautifully. Go figure.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

We have very dry air here with humidity in the teens at best. It's tucked away in a corner away from the heater. Gets bright light most of the day with about an hour of sun. Never mist, potbound as heck, on the dry side and fertilize evey time I water. 5 feet long and counting-go figure-it's one of the easiest plants I have!!

Danville, VA(Zone 7b)

I have more sw. ivy than I would like. None of mine have ever had this problem. I keep mine on the front porch in the summer time. this spot getts very little lite. In the winter I put mine in the gh but never had problem. As a matr of fact I' m thinking about throwing the darn thinks out. Ya want'em.

Pittsfield,, MA(Zone 5b)

I like Swedish Ivy in window boxes. Look awesome as it hangs down. Don't have any at the moment....unusual for me. German Ivy is awesome this way also. I have lots of Pothos if anyone's interested in cuttings. And my Donkey's tail came tumbling down this afternoon so there may be some pieces of that up for grabs ---- Sedum morganianum see http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2543/index.html Oh, I also have some Castor Bean seeds if anyone's interested. It's a awsome plant but poisonous (all parts)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.