Botany Quiz: On which type of plant would you find a glume?

There are a total of 155 votes:

Daisy
(4 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Grass
(92 votes, 59%)
Red dot

Lily
(21 votes, 13%)
Red dot

Carnivorous
(38 votes, 24%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Biology Dictionary. Definition: A bract in the inflorescence of a grass. Actually I had no idea.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I had to look it up to...........LOL.

Definition: Glume, n. [L. gluma hull, husk, fr. glubere to bark or
peel: cf. F. glume or gloume.] (Bot.)
The bracteal covering of the flowers or seeds of grain and
grasses; esp., an outer husk or bract of a spikelt. --Gray.

8o)
Dee

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Cheaters!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i was wrong-but i had NO idea!!!!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Glume, according to The Wordsworth Dictionary of Botany, just for the heck of it: "One of a pair of dry bracts, at the base of and enclosing the spikelet of grasses."

I admit, I cheated. Hey, the point is to learn, right? ;-) Okay, next time I'll vote, then look.
At our house we sometimes play "cooperative" Scrabble...people are allowed to look up words before posting them - the point being that we can increase our vocabulary. Geeky, but less stressful than the regular way.... :-)

Shannon

(Zone 8b)

Just for once I got it right!! Must admit I wasn't sure, it just sounded the most likely option!!

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

I guessed, then looked it up. How did I know?? *pat pat pat*

You learn something new every day. :-)

Modi'in, Israel

I had no clue. I looked it up in Babylon:

glume - n. small leaf in the blossoming of grass or sedge or similar plant

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I had no clue, was going to guess, then decided to 'google' since the last botany word was an 'open book' question, I assumed this one was too!?! :)

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hopefully noone's keeping score... ;-)

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I guessed right! Glume sounded a lot like Plume so I guessed it was the seed head or something! lol

This message was edited Nov 1, 2004 4:08 PM

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

I had to look it up... does that make me a cheater? lol

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Easy cuz I worked in range management in my previous life.

I'm with the cheaters. I know all through diligent research ... lol.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Its open book, ceedub! :-)

It's not cheating if you've done some research, the answer isn't all that far away if you look ;) (and no that's not an invitation to email the admins, that would be cheating! *G*)

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I too had to look it up but at least I felt I learned something..

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Easier questions! I got it wrong...

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Speaking for myself, this admin would refuse to give the answer - sorry! It's way too easy with the internet to find the answer on your own, even if you don't have any reference books ;o)

I have to agree with the philosophy that it isn't cheating to look it up. (Sometimes I think that's where schools miss the boat - is it more important to know the answer, or to know where to go for the answer?)

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks Terry, now I don't feel like I cheated....I looked it up in my computer dictionary and got it right!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Absolutely, Terry! I thought that was the whole point of the "Botany Quizs!" Schools that use open book test own the boat.

I have three goals for these quizzes:

1) To have fun while learning something new (or gain confidence when we know the answer);

2) Help us all develop more knowledge around botanical terms and concepts; and

3) Get more members to use (and contribute to) the resources we've developed here (namely Garden Terms and Botanary - these features should be able to provide answers to most or all of the botany quizzes.)

And a bonus for me is that the quizzes have opened up a new area of topics for the weekly questions. We've run a different weekly question for three years, and after a while it gets hard to come up with something new to ask!)

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I went to the Botanary, glume isn't there. Did the old Merriam Webster thing. Had an aha moment.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Add it, Kathleen!

Ooooo no don't add it t the Botanary! The Botanary is a dictionary of translations of botanical names into English, Garden Terms is where you will find glume :)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Oh, ok. The Botanary has to do with scientific names. Thanks!

I know that can be a bit confusing but think of it this way:

If it's part of a plant's name (family, genus, species), it belongs in Botanary (that way, it can be "hooked" into the Plants Database where appropriate.)

If it's any other garden/farming-related word or term, it belongs in Garden Terms

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Got it (as I hit the side of my head with the heel of my hand). :-)

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

admit I looked it up - on line -(would have taken weeks otherwise).

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Me too, did a web search before guessing. Isn't the internet a wonderful thing. I can remember in high school, spending days or weeks researching what can be found today online in seconds. What will our grandchildren have to work with in the future? It is mind boggling to me.

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

I looked up the definition of the word in Botanary, then made the leap to "grass". Not too tough if you're willing to stretch your mind a bit.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Looked it up in Webster's, never would have known otherwise
Maria

The answer is even closer than that: http://davesgarden.com/terms/

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

It looks like everyone here IS willing to stretch their mind a bit; we've seen many different methods of arriving at the answer. These quizzes are great!

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

Had to look it up - but I learned something! Keep em coming, Dave....

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Dave's is a very educational site :)

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Baa. . .another thing I learned today on this site. . .and thanks Terry for teasing our brains. .I like these 'technical' questions. . . . ;-D Janet

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Yes, very educational, I learned a new word today, had to look it up in my A t Z. Keep the questions coming. My AZ says: Glume- thin dry membrane like a bract in the inflorescens of a grass or sedge. For some reason couldn't bring the space to vote up, ao didn't vote. Donna

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

I got it right the ole fashined way: looked it up in garden terms on DG. daffynition there is by someone called Baa. Thats not cheetin it's RESEARCH

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.