seeds of black grass

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

My black grass (the one that's really a lily, forgot latin name! ) has seeds on it. I picked one, thinking that when I opened it, seeds would be inside, but there was,t just a pulp. Does that mean that each 'pod' is one seed? I've not sown these before. Do I let it dry out and shrivel up,like a dried pea? or sow them fresh?

Black grass - Ophiopogon have fruit and you should have some seed inside the pulp, perhaps they are undeveloped or have produced a sterile fruit if you can't find them? Either way, you can sow them when fresh or dried :)

Thanks Baa, should I sow the whole pod, or take out the seeds., assuming I can find any.

I've not sowed these before but I'd remove them from the fruit first, you could try both to see what works best (and let us know please :). My Black grass doesn't bear flowers, poor thing has been drowning in grass this year! I'm going to try and keep it free of that and I hope it will deign to flower next year.

I must admit, I didn't even notice flowers on it!! it was only beacuse I was looking around to see if any of the bulbs were pushing up through that i noticed these seeds.
My plants have been a bit buried too, under a fuschia one side ,and under a sea od achillea the other.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.