Propagating Weeping Hibiscus

Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

I don't know the proper name but I will be moving soon and sure would love to take some baby hibiscus from my weeping hibiscus trees. I can't tell you their name- don't know it. I really would love to keep some tho.
Can anyone tell me how to propagate them? Can I do it in a wet sponge oasis?

(Zone 4a)

I believe your Hibiscus 'weeper' is Hibiscus schizopetalus.

Why not dig the tree up and take it with you?

Most Hibiscus seeds germinate readily in a good
germinating mixture.

Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

Please don't think I am a total dum-dum but where would I find the seeds?

I can't dig them up altho I would love to. I want to sell this place soon and I think the tropical foilage will help. BUT I want to take as much of the proginy? that I can!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'd take semi hardwood cuttings about six or eight inches long and put them in perlite with water. Cover with a plastic bag to hold humidity in but not air tight. They should root for you. I do mine in an old aquarium with a light. It provides heat as well as the light. I've got three cuttings of a tropical hibiscus in mine right now and one hard to root brug cutting.

Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

I will try that tomorrow. I have several varieties I want to try.

I have a problem with Iguanas eating my hibiscus blooms and starfruit. At least once all my stuff goes out to the farm in the Everglades, they won't be a problem.

First I have to root my "big haul"! Tomorrow is bulk pickup here on the FL east coast. Someone cut back a big frangipani! I got it all!

Norwalk, CT(Zone 5b)

Brugie, no rooting hormone?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.