Has Anyone Tried This??

Flat Rock, NC(Zone 7b)

Has anyone ever tried "potting gel"? And if so, what were your results?

Potting gel link: http://www.seedman.com/plantge.htm

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

It's neat stuff........more is definately NOT better, your soil will rise right out of the pot! A little goes a long way. Haven't used it a lot, probably something that takes a tad getting used to!

This message was edited Oct 14, 2004 9:25 PM

Flat Rock, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Kachina. I was wondering about plant stability. If you have a very top-heavy plant, will this stuff hold it?

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

I think it might be better to let a smaller plant grow into it, creating it's own stability as it grows. The gel is like little stiff Jello bits. I think a plant that loves water would do better also, seems like it will stay too moist for other plants. I bet a fern would love it (specially if you add acidic plant food when you water). I have used it in a regular soil mix to help keep water available to the roots but haven't used it to replace the soil all together. Let us know what happens!

Flat Rock, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks again, Kachina. I haven't gotten any of the gel yet, but think I will order some and try it for just what you said, smaller water-loving plants. I'd like to try a hoya in it, too. I'll let yall know whenever I get around to getting it done :)

Milton, VT(Zone 4a)

How about for paperwhite bulbs as they can work indoors potted in either soil or rocks!

Flat Rock, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey! kayaker, you just gave me an idea! What if you put small pea rocks in the bottom of the pot, and then added the gel? Do you think the plant roots would grow into and around the rocks and make tha plant more stable? Hmmm.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.