Neptunia Aquatica

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Rooting in the wet foam oasis,this is after 8 days

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Where do you get your foam oasis at?

Drat! Fingers are quicker than the brain......

This message was edited Oct 9, 2004 6:11 PM

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Walmart 3 wet blocks for $1.99
I know what you mean!!!

Wal-Mart? In the gardening department!?!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Walmart in the craft and sewing department

Craft and sewing department? Really? Under what name/use?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Where they display for doing flower arrangements,at my walmart,make sure you get the wet foam oasis,not the dry foam,for it won't asorb the water.

Oooooh! I didn't realize they carried it and there?!?

Thank you! I'll have to check tomorrow to see if they have it here.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Todays rooted cuttings ,I can't believe how fast they root in these wet foam oasis.Here's P,ligularis,in about 2 weeks

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Here's Mexican petunia cutting in 7 days

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Here's some I just potted up this weekend,I just left everything in the containers punch holes in bottom ,and add potting soil.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Did you take the plants out of the oasis before potting up?

I found the wet foam oasis at Wal-Mart last night. I'm continuing to watch your thread and waiting for Thursday when I plan on trying to propagate several different types of plants with my newly found oasis.

Thank you for this thread and all your wonderfully helpful information!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Marcia,no just pot up as you would to normally.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Good luck ,and thanks dstartz.

Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

Hey Tropicman: I am so glad to have found someone who has done the Oasis thing. I tried it for seeding and it was a total failure. Have to blame myself not the Oasis. Can you give us some detailed instructions on how you used it? When I googled for info it appeared the material for cuttings and seed was somehow different than what you use for floral arrangements. Jessamine

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hey Jess.
I just take a cutting,under 6 inches works the best,not the soft stem cuttin but a good meaty stem of new growth,just not the soft end stuff,if you get my meaning,for it wilts sometimes,not always tho.
Cut the wet foam,I buy from walmart,I don't know if thats the same stuff florist use or not.
Cut a 3/4 inch cube,soak it in water until its saturated,dip cutting in rooting hormone,stick the cutting in the oasis cube half way in,little more doesn't hurt,3/4 way is alright too.,
Then stick cutting oasis cube in all in a clear plastic drinking cup,or one of the freezy cups,pour enough water to come halfway up the side of the cube,check everyday add more water if necessary,I put under grow lights or flouresent lights work too.Then just wait until they sent out roots,if you pot up in soil when roots are about inch long works best.

Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

I ran right out to Walmarts as soon as I read about the wet foam oasis. I have worked in my yard for 18 years to create a tropical habitat and am moving very soon to the Everglades where I have to totally start over with my tropicals. I keep thinking that I need to really hurry because I can't get cuttings once the house is sold AND it won't show well if everything is freshly cut back. I have had about a 30% rate of successful rooting from cuttings and I feel like I wasted good future plants because I wasn't doing it correctly. Now I am impowered! Thank you, Tropicman!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Your welcome Cyber,please let us know how your cuttings are coming along.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

(;>)

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

This may be a stupid question to ask, but what is the difference between rooting the cuttings in the wet foam instead of just sitting them in water? I have a friend that gets cuttings all the time and she takes them home and sticks them in water. And most of them root. So why use the foam? I already have some of the wet foam, and I want to try it, but I was just wondering why I need to use it. And can it be used for seeds as well as for cuttings? Thank all of you for being so helpful to me as I'm a rookie at all of this.

JesseK

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS. Just dumb mistakes.
I'm going to do it so I don't have to be here to change the water for them, and they won't rot. I can put them in a spot where they will get automatically watered.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

JesseK,
If you have a extra cutting,try it both ways,and see what happens,I can't tell you why it works better in the foam,but most of the time it does,especially if you use rooting hormone on the cutting before you insert in the hole of the wet foam.
Don

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

i'm so interested in that Neptunia aquatica, interested in trading some? ;)

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

I used this method on my impatients. It worked great. I had 80% success. Linda

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

naien,sorry.I don't have any more to trade,and lost the one I had when I had my heart attack,and was unable to take care of it.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Great thread, Tropicman. I also going to have to check Walmart for the wet foam. I hope you're feeling better now.
:) Donna

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks,doing a lot better.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.