Newbie Question

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

I just wanted to know if I can take some clippings of my Pothos Ivy, and try to make new plants, or do I need to wait until spring? I've never done this before, and I'm just a bit curious.

Jennifer

Tillamook, OR(Zone 8b)

It's been my experience that you can root pothos any time any where!!! As a matter of fact, I am rooting a half, well more than half dead pothos vine now, I haven't watered the poor thing since we decided to move and that was at the beginning of July! It seems to be working, I haven't found a pothos yet that I could kill!!!
Raven

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you, Raven. Do I just clip some off, and put it in water until I see roots? Do I need a root stimulater? Do I need a special potting mix? I've never done this before.

Tillamook, OR(Zone 8b)

Yes, I just cut it and put it into water, I usually clip one long vine into 3 or 4 sections and put them into a glass of water cuz I like to watch the roots grow and then when they are ready I have a nice basket already since I have 4 cuttings! :O)

I think they must have their own rooting hormone so you won;t need anything else, just the glass and water, at least that has been my experience.

Alot of people say that you need to pot them up as soon as the roots get about an inch or so in the water, but I've never done that, I always let them get to be about 5 or 6 inches or longer, and have alot of new growth before I plant them~sshhh, don't tell anyone, I'm a procrastinator!!! :O) And, I never use any special potting soil, just the regular stuff you usually buy should work.

Good luck, these are definitely easy and one of my favorites because they will grow no matter what!!!

Raven

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you. This is going to be fun to see if I can make a new plant. lol

Jdee, I don't think its possible to kill a pothos. I started a cutting once at the office in a glass of water, where it stayed for 5 years - it just grew and grew. I'd remember it once a month or so and fill the glass up again-it was always bone dry. I eventually planted it and brought it home. This must have been 10 years ago, the plants it created are in homes and offices all over the greater Toronto area by now.

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

My wandering jew needs to be trimmed. Is it as easy to root as the pothos? I've never tried to root plant clippings before. Thank you for being patient with my beginner-ness. :-)

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

You can put wandering jew in soil or water or even damp cement and it will grow. It requires very little care.

"or even damp cement" - LOL - now that's a hardy plant!!!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

You laugh but it is true. It is invasive stuff in my zone. Pretty though. Any little piece that drops off will grow. I cleaned the patio last weekend or I could post a picture. The only things I currently have growing on a damp potting bench are mother of thousands and ghost cactus.

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, no. Maybe I should stop sweeping the fallen wandering jew leaves off the porch. I guess I need to start picking them up. LOL

This is going to be so fun. I hope it works for me.

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello. I just wanted to show you my progress, and also ask...What do I do now? Should I plant them all in the same pot?

Thumbnail by jdee
Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's a close up. Do I need to cut off the stem next to the root before planting?

Thumbnail by jdee

Congratulations-great roots! No Jdee, just plant it as is, the stem will give it a little extra stability.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.