Here Kitty, Kitty.....

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

I have a neighbor who has not one but two evil ferrel cats, don't get me wrong I have two lovely ones myself BUT they don't poop in my flower beds!!!!! When I garden I tend to go natural, (no gloves, no shoes) and there is nothing worse then tucking in a seedling a grabbing a handful of warm "soil"!!!! YUCK!!! Not only that every time I plant something in that area if its in their way they dig it out and you know what in its place. Does anyone have any suggestions, they seem only to do it in one particular flowerbed and nowhere else. Your help would be greatly appreciated, I would hate to have to start wearing gloves and shoes!!!
Thanks,
Becky

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Becky, find some old nasty rose canes. The thornier the better. Find nice large ones, because that way when you move them out of the way to weed and fertilize, you only have to move a few. Place them in this bed, and hopefully that will be the end of the story. They generally won't go where they can't scratch to cover up their mess.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Has anyone tried "Get Off My Garden"? I bought some at a warehouse sale last year, but haven't had a chance to put the jelly-like stuff out yet. Far as the rose canes go - what a great idea! I can see it now: BJT72 will be posting on the plant trading forum "will trade for your dead pruned canes". LOL! :o) Kimberley

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Chicken wire laid over flower/veggy beds works wonders. Weigh it down around the edge with heavy objects like rocks. It makes digging impossible. I have heard that orange peels will repel cats but can't vouch for that personally.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Try some household ammonia.....they really hate the smell and the nitrogen level is wonderful for your plants..it also helps to repel those nasty little moles!

Jerrie

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

i watched a tv programme once where this couple couldn't stop cats digging up thier garden and had tried everything, at least so they thought... apparently if you get lion or tiger or any other big cat's dung and scatter it about (really stinks mind) they will run for miles, they know that the cat that lives in your garden isn't to be messed with and they stay away. Lots of zoos and animal parks will give you some and some will even deliver. This was on u.k t.v. mind you. It worked tho! lol! the smell goes away after a bit too!

lil

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks, for all the great suggestions, everyone!!!
Since I just massacred my roses, I've some of the really nasty canes in that area, but I've not checked it out yet to see if it worked. But if it doesn't now I have a great plan of attack thanks to all of you!!! I did gently confront my neighbor about the cats, and they said the cats didn't belong to them, they were just strays, and just as the words were coming out of his mouth, the 12 year old daughter came outside and yelled "here stripes, here fluffy" and one of the "stray cats" ran and jumped into her arms!!!! I just smiled and walked away!!!
By the way Lil, the love the "big cat" idea, we have a great zoo here and I know someone who used to work there, I might try that next if the canes don't work, I think it's pretty funny and if I were a cat I'm sure it would send me running too!!!
Thanks again,
Becky

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

hehe, sounds ridiculous, i know, but it really does work. they're really territorial when it comes to scent.

lil

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.