Fall in Eastern Canada

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

MAGNOLIA???????
Pati

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Not the beauties that you can grow Pati! ;)

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Well it seems that this weekend would be the perfect time for fall foliage but rain is in the forcast so had to take some quick pics at a local park :)

Thumbnail by PanamonCreel
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thank you Milan......there truly is spectacular scenery in your neck of the woods! :D

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

That's a great view, Milan!

Here's what our virginia creeper has been up (or down) to this fall. Please ignore the hole in the wall....lol

Thumbnail by spklatt
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I always admired those vines growing up a building.......spilling over a white fence is even more appealing.

Now I'm eyeing my neighbours huge white fence...

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Your virginia creeper is lovely!

Here is an interesting photo of leaves turning colours on a maple tree at the side of my house.

Thumbnail by Starzz
Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

and this is looking up into another maple at my front walk.

Thumbnail by Starzz
Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Very nice photos, Starzz.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I didn't know that their leaves turned pink....a very pretty shade. What kind of Maple are they Starzz?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Starzz, I love how your street looks. What's on the other side of those trees across the street - is it farmland?

Shannon

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

I think there are Norway maples..and maybe sugar maples..not really sure though..they were here when I bought this place twenty one years ago..

Across the street is an apple and blueberry farm..all apple trees and blueberry bushes.

Glad you enjoyed the pics..

Thumbnail by Starzz
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

We really are enjoying them (had to show them to my kids) and all were amazed at the variety of colors and how long the trees there hang onto their leaves.

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

I have learned since I moved away from Alberta, that It all has to do with the wind. As you know, on the prairies, the wind abounds, summer, fall, spring (big time) and winter. The leaves don't have a chance to stay on the trees. Here in my part of BC, we have very little wind, and so we too, still have beautiful autumn foliage on our maples, birch, and all our trees. Even that, along with fairly mild winters, sure shortens the winter season, or at least, makes it bearable.

This message was edited Oct 22, 2004 5:22 AM

Thumbnail by OldFlowerGirl
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Yeah, that's gotta be at least one of the factors. I'd place bets on dryness too, & early cold snaps - ?

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Yeah, I suppose you're right as far as early cold snaps (we have yet to get our first frost), but our humidity is quite low here. Certainly not as high as the coast, that's for sure. My asthma would kick up a stink if it was.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Fall colours are finally peaked in Newfoundland, but with all the wet weather lately, our colours are somewhat muted. Here's a pic of my Japanese Maple seedling I grew from seed. In a sunnier fall, I expect the colour to be much more intense.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

It's a very pretty one Todd. :D Was it difficult to start from seed? Any special hints or tricks?

I was also wondering if you have sight seeing pictures of your Island? In the depths of our winter it would be nice to see other parts of the country as well.

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Very nice Todd. I love Japanese Maples. Had one when I lived at Christina Lake. Hope to get another next spring. Don't think I'd atempt to grow one from seed as I am not that patient. I want to see results NOW! They are gorgeous though.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

To grow Jap. Maples from seed you need fresh seed and sow them immediately in the fall outside or place them in damp paper towel in the fridge for 6 weeks then sow them. Never allow the seeds to dry completely. The plant in the pic is only 4 years old. They grow fairly fast.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

I admire your patience. All those seeds that need stratifying or whatever it is called generally get forgotten by me just about the time I am supposed to be planting them. I need alarm bells on my calendar.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thanks for the info Todd....unfortunately I got my seed a number of months ago so I won't be expecting great results. :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.