Fall in Eastern Canada

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

A lovely combination.... mountain and prairie. :D Is that the view that you see from your house?

Abbotsford, BC(Zone 8a)

Oh i wish!..its a lot of hills and wouldn't be fun travelling up there in the wintertime....its funny as its a more an expensive neighbourhood and you usually see the hired "landscapers" doing the gardening and mowing, not the owners....lol.....if i want to go on a good huffing and pufffing kind of walk, i go up there and then I have my cardio workout in for the day!....

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

No killing frost in St. John's, Newfoundland yet. New Guinea Impatiens still going strong, but they are living on borrowed time I'm sure. Our trees are just starting to turn...amazing we are so slow to colour up in the fall compared to the rest of Canada...I guess our trees are holding on to leaves for as long as possible considering ours leafed out a month later than the rest of Canada! Here's a pic along one of the walking trails in St. John's. Not quite as scenic as the Okanagan!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thank you for the mini trip to NewFoundland Todd. :D When they do start turning you will have a feast for the eyes! What are the species of trees in your picture?

Abbotsford, BC(Zone 8a)

Great pic, very scenic!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Like the Prairies, our leaves are mostly yellow near St. John's (mostly birch), but the scattered Pin Cherry will turn fiery red and many of our larger shrubs such as Viburnum and Amelanchier, turn reddish-purple. I look forward to the Japanese and Korean maples in my garden to turn...shades of reds and oranges.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the nice comments about my yard..that is the open part with a few trees..I call it the "kite field"..cause sometimes my grandkids come and fly kites there..

The Secret Garden is at the back of that area in the apple trees.
I am enjoying all the scenic photos that you have posted. I especially like to see the reflection of trees in water.

I have brought most of my plants inside that I will winter over.
I just have to pot up some of the fancy geraniums yet.

The Osteospermum and Mums sure like this weather

Happy fall!

Thumbnail by Starzz
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

They may be similar Todd but I'd have to drive 5 hours north to see that many! ;) I found when we lived in North Battleford that the rare treat of seeing a stand of vibrant orange and red would have us hitting the brake very quickly. Here they are seen so rarely the beauty is very appreciated! :)

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

OK what varietal is that osteopermum cause I have to have next year. Did you grow from seed or buy? If seed where did you get the seed? I think I must be spending too much time with my great niece who is nuts for purple and its rubbing off.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

That is a gorgeous pic Starzz! :D

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi Canadians! Lilypon knows I lurk around your Forum, I hope you don't mind. I'm vicariously enjoying your Fall of the year. The descriptions and pictures are wonderful! Our Oak trees here don't change color at all, just shed a lot of their leaves and acorns in the winter. The only Fall color we have are huge trees that are covered with yellow blossoms for a few weeks. Since the two hurricanes blew through, most all the trees are stripped bare of leaves so I'm enjoying your's even more!
Pati

You are always welcome here, patischell.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

We are always happy to have you visit Pati...your sunny dispostion and the word Florida in our threads helps so much to warm up a crisp fall day!
p.s.please visit us often in the months of November, December, January, February and March!! ;) (just don't forget your sealskin parka and electric blanket)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

p.s. just a reminder to those who still have leaves on their trees......Terry and Dave are asking for pictures of trees, in their fall regalia, to be entered into the Plants Database.

This message was edited Oct 7, 2004 1:56 PM

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Good point....thanks for the reminder, Pam.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Todd, from the looks of things, your scenery can stack up against any in Canada! I definitely want to see Newfoundland some day soon.

Here's a shot taken this afternoon, looking north from our back yard.

Thumbnail by spklatt
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Oh Shannon what a breathtaking view! :D

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

And here's a shrub in a neighbour's yard. It really is as red as the photo looks; it practically jumps out at you as you walk by. Almost like it has its own internal light. It's only been that way for a few days now; up until last week it was quite unremarkable.

Shannon

Thumbnail by spklatt
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Now that is one I would love to have! What is that beauty's name?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Pam! Since moving here a couple of years ago we have really been enjoying this view, watching the seasons change. It's kind of alarming in winter, though, when you can't see the street down below for snow... ;-)

Boy I'll be glad when we get our high-speed hooked up....that last photo took about 10 min. to load. But I can't move anyway, as there's a sleeping cat on my lap...so might as well keep posting.... LOL

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Our posts passed like ships in the night!

I wish I knew what it was called...let me do a little research and get back to you. If I can't find anything in the next day or two, I'll post it in the ID forum. I've noticed a number of these around here in the last few days, so perhaps someone in the area will know what it is.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Please do! :D

I know how bad it can be on slow speed....we got ours months after I joined DG and it was verrrrrrrrry frustrating.

I would worry about a rain and freeze with those streets.....but that view would make up for the occasional joy of driving sideways and backwards! ;)

This message was edited Oct 14, 2004 3:07 PM

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Yeah, there've been a few times when I couldn't get up the street into our garage, so had to go around the block and approach it from the other side. Snow tires are a must!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I know...we live on a hill too. :S

Please keep taking pictures! :D

This message was edited Oct 10, 2004 5:29 PM

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The bright red bush is called Burning Bush, Euonymus elatus. There are few shrubs that can rival the autumn colour of this one! Ours in Newfoundland are also fully coloured now.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Should be Euonymus alatus - at least in my search engine. Hardy to zone 4 they say pam - shouldn't even pose a challenge to a zone stretcher like you. 8-10 ft height and similar spread on maturity for the compacta variety. Only on line nursery I found was stateside. We will have to find one locally.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Yes we will. :) It's a real beauty and I'm sure would do fine for us in a sheltered location.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the info, Todd and Lynn. I had "fire bush" in mind; glad to know I was on the right track!

Pam, if you can't find a source locally, let me know - it propagates by rooted cuttings. It'd be no problem to start one up & send it to you.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Shannon,
Wow...what a gorgeous view you have ..so many different colours..
thanks for sharing.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Starzz. In a month or two it'll be one colour....white....LOL

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Burning Bush is a standard in any local nursery. You should be able to find one locally with no problem. BTW I meant ALATUS...typo.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thank you Shannon....I'll check around and get back to you. I'm not sure that they are that common here...I don't think I've seen one with that much fire. Thank you for the ID Todd and Lynn. :)

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Well I'm currently in Calgary visiting family. Its amazing that most of the trees here have lost all their leaves! In Newfoundland, we are at about 50% colour; all trees still very leafy. The colours in Montreal (where I changed planes) were spectacular! Newfoundland really doesn't get the intense reds and oranges, just spots here and there. Wish I could have had more time to really see the colours around Montreal. The long range gives the high temperature for Calgary next Tuesday at -10 C! YOW! Newfoundland won't see it that cold until late December or even january. I might hate the rain we get in St. John's, but at least I get a long growing season.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Ah but ours is a dry cold.......now we have them bragging at both coasts (as she cries onto her keyboard).

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Not too mention, on the rock, the fog is so thick most days that you can't see your plants. LOL

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

At least on the prairies, the sun is usually shining! I'll take a crisp, cold day over a rainy, cool one any day. ....unless it's in July, of course..... :-)

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

ewww, do I sense a little bitterness from our friends from the Prairies! Tut, tut.... remember, he's just a man and discretion is not one of their strong qualitites...

Thumbnail by OldFlowerGirl
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

That fog comment really hurts! Actually, we get less fog than halifax according to environment canada. I'll admit I love to see the sun, but I'll take rain and FOG if it means I can grow japanese maples, japanese pieris, magnolia, bamboo...need I go on! (Apologies for inflicting pain on the prairie people).

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Yeah, yeah Todd.... :-) OK, as long as you agree to keep sending us pictures!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

We may forgive you rubbing it in if you remember to take out your camera when you land in Montreal again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.