Ceropegia

Valley Village, CA

Do you grow any of these darling plants, that have weird flowers, and foliage, some of which are tropical others want it dry.?
I use my cactus mix for all of my plants. Ceropegia are part of the Asclepiadaceae Family, and what a diverse family it is. Only the flowers are similar.
Norma

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Hi Norma!
I grow, of course, the old standby, C. woodii, (plain and variegated cutting rec'd in a trade last year) as well as C. debilis and C. haygarthii (sp?).
They're kind of like hoyas, once you start collecting the interesting little critters, you want more!
My haygarthii is the only one that hasn't bloomed yet.

Valley Village, CA

I also not familar with that one, the last one. C. haygarthii Does it form a tuber underground? I just got a new one this last week end with a two inch pure white flower, C. ampliata. It's just a cutting at this time, and the Huntington Gardens will be given the first cut. I found your plant listed in a new book, but no picture attached. There is a long description of the flower, but it so hard to understand.
Everything is abbreviated I will try later however. Norma

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

No, the C. haygarthii doesn't have a tuberous growth like the C. woodii.....it's growth is 'loosely' reminiscent of Euphorbia tirucalli.....'stick-like', if that makes any sense? lol!

I'm sure mine could use more light, perhaps then I'd see blooms! I had sent the 'mother plant', although small, to a trader last year, and he had blooms within a few months!
He had sent me a picture which I have since lost track of, but it was quite interesting, and I couldn't even begin to describe it, so I know exactly what you mean by the description being hard to understand!

I'd be happy to send you a cutting of it (albeit a small one) , Norma, if you'd like....you'd probably have blooms in 'no time!'

Orangeville, PA(Zone 6a)

I have a ceropegia (woodii, I think). If I were to take a cutting and attempt to root, it, what would be my steps? This guy is one of my favorites and I don't want to just start hacking him to bits! Thanks in advance!

-gt-

Valley Village, CA

They are all parachute like in flower, or air baloon like. Don't hank anything to bits. I am so glad that you shared this with all of us. Don't start cutting it and giving it away, wait until you get new growth. Nan you and I will have plenty of time to trade in the Spring. I'm getting quiet a collection of these cute plants with interesting flowers, they come in all colors, but the shapes are mostly the same. Norma

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

I got a few myself recently but my success with rooting them is so so.
Here are a few that made it form this years collection:
C. haygarthii (stem succulent, fleshy roots but not tuberous to my opinion)
C. meleagris
C. denticulata ssp. Brownii
C. ampliata (supposed to have the largest flower of Ceropegia)
C. stapeliiformis (not sure yet if it will make it)
C. monteroie (Green Parachutes like sandersonii but smaller?)
C. carnosa (doing not so good)
C. woodii (my first Ceropegia and I wish all other ones would be that easy)
My worst one yet is C. arabica and C. arabica 'Jabel Fayfa'. Both together I went through 8 cuttings and even tried grafting 2 onto C. woodii tubers and still all died :(, I guess I'll give up on those ones.

Greenthumber: My recommendation on propagating C. woodii would be to just take some cuttings with tuber balls on them and plant the tubers into soil. In case there are no tubers, place some of the long stems onto some moist soil and they should root and get tuber where they contacted the soil within a few weeks.

Milan

I've got a few of these plants also. I've had luck rooting a couple. Most of mine came from Shoal Creek Succulents. One of the ones that didn't make it was ceropegia carnosa. I was lucky enough to find a 6 inch basket of c. sandersoniae in a specialty shop that was already in bloom. It was the first time I had ever seen the ceropegia species in a store except, of course, for woodii.

Orangeville, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks! I was wondering what those little brown bumps were! *grin* That confirms my suspiscions that they do, indeed, turn into roots, eventually! Thanks for all t he info! If anyone has any other ceropegia cuttings they'd like to share, I'd sure be glad for them for SASE or maybe(?) trade. I'm not sure which mine is, maybe not woodii, maybe sanderoniae? I'll have to research it! I love these little critters. Mine currently has vines to China and back and I *love* 'em! :) -gt-

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Norma. .I'm having success rooting the 4 of the 5 kinds you shared with me in July. . the C. wooii is rooting readily from stem cuttings done as PanamonCreel described. One has almost round leaves, moddled with tiny white veins and another one has an arrowhead shaped leaf. . . don't know what kind they are, but they're rooting slowly. Once they take off I'll post them for ID. One had a fuzzy leaf and I think I lost it in the heatwave that seemed like it would never end. The fifth cutting has leaves that look like thin grass blades a half inch or so apart. . it seems to be rooting well.

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Here a pic of some fleshy roots on a C. monteroie cutting I got.

Thumbnail by PanamonCreel
Mesilla Park, NM

Oh my lord, these are beautiful.. you all are killing me... now I have to find me some. Back to the google search.. Do most local nurseries carry these?

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

I bought last year a small Ceropegia stapelliformis from Shoal Creek succulents. It grew quite a bit over the Summer, I had broken pieces off and rooted next to the original plant to ensure survival. All new growth is hanging really straight downwards, which looks strange. I might have to transfer it to a basket.
I took a picture of the awesome flowers last year. The new growth hasn't flowered yet.

Thumbnail by RUK
Mesilla Park, NM

It's beautiful, Shoal Creek has lots of them.. these are really unique flowers and interesting plants. I like that site. Thanks for the site. This is the first time I hear of Ceropegia plants.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Milan, sounds like you're acquiring quite a collection!

Hope they start 'shaping up' for you! The one pictured surely *isn't* tuberous rooted, is it, lol! That's quite a root mass for a small plant!

Now I'd never seen C. stapelliformis, RUK.....I can see how it got it's name! Looks like a Caralluma! And I've recently been collecting stapeliads, so I suppose before long I'll have to find that one to complement both my Ceropegia *and* Stapeliad collections!

I recently ordered a few various Stapeliads from Shoal Creek....now I'll have to check out their Ceropegias!

Valley Village, CA

Goodie for showing all those pictures, now I know who I can trade with. Norma
They are a terrific species. Keep us posted about all the goodies that you can find. I think this group will be sending a lot of business their way. Norma

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Just noticed that my small C. ampliata cutting is starting to grow a flower.

Thumbnail by PanamonCreel
Valley Village, CA

Milan I getting very jealous, where did you buy such a nice collection. I think I will want one as well, Will ship south? Norma

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

LOL Norma, you got the Huntington connections not me so I'm the one to be jealous :).
All of my Ceropegia cuttings came from Paul Shirley in Holland. Give it some time and I should be able to supply some cuttings myself :).
BTW the Luckhoffia from you is doing great.

Milan

I noticed ya'll talking about shoal creek succulents. I just wanted to say that I also bought a couple of things from them and was very satisfied. It's my favorite website right now. Theirs so many things I want to buy from them.

Norma, I'm glad you started this thread. Ceropegias are on my list for the next order.

I'm glad to hear that everyone is having such good luck with them.
pictures look great!

Valley Village, CA

It fun to share information with people that are so nice. It's also fun to share plants. I had a young couple over yesterday, I think they went home with 75 cuttings, to complete flats full of plants, really a nice family. I enjoyed their company so much. They were beginners, so what ever I gave them they were excited. Even the llittle pieces of plants that fell off. I made them immediately write on a label their names.
Ive gotten to the stage where it is hard to find plants that I can get excited about, I'm around so many every day, It's a great experience, try to volunteer at any botanical garden, they need the help and really will appreciated having you. Norma

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

This one is Ceropegia radicans. The flower opened up yesterday.

Thumbnail by RUK
Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for sharing . .neat!!

That is neat! Thanks for the pic. Another one for the wish list.

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Nice one, yep another one on the wish list for me.

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

Ok, now I'm drooling over these flowers, I guess I could make room for a couple more, lol, I'll have to check out this nursery! Thanks for sharing

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

I just brought up Shoal Creek Succulents with no success, what am I doing wrong?

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Try it with this link:

http://www.shoalcreeksucculents.com/

Edited to say. . seems to have been an internet glitch there for a minute or two...working OK now.

This message was edited Sep 29, 2004 5:24 PM

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

These plants are fun to grow and they don't have to be huge to flower. C. haygarthii is on my list next time I place an order....

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Hi Hanna1. . .how's your remodel going? I haven't seen you post much (you probably did, and I just missed it). . . figured you might be up to your ears in your house project or maybe gardening??

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

Hi

I grow C. Woodii and C. Woodii Variegated.. I love them both. Here's C. Woodii Variegated.

Thumbnail by flowerjunkie
Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Folks, don't forget to post your Ceropegia pics on PDB. This Genus is not well represented with pictures at PDB and urgently needs your support :)

I recently received an email from Shoal Creek re their annual sale:

Friends,

My surgery went well and I'm feeling better now. We didn't get much work done last week, but all orders up to 9-27 have now been shipped. I apologize to the few of you who had to wait an extra week or two for your order.

I haven't had a chance to finish updating the website with all current offerings, but I will get to this after --->

The Annual 20% Off Sale begins Monday 10-4 and will continue until 4-11. Please take advantage of us while we try desperately to fit everything back into the greenhouses before the first frost!

Best Regards to All,
Ryan McNew
Shoal Creek Succulents

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

to PanamonCreel,
I tried to post the pictures to the database. The problem is, there are ssp listed for both radicans and stapelliformis. I bought them without having that information. Also, which spelling is correct? I bought the plant labeled as stapelliformis, not stapeliiformis. Websites show both spellings for the plant.
This would be my first entry to the database, can you please advise on how to proceed?

Ursula

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Ursula- enter both names into the Botanary (in the tabs at top). If they have the same or strikingly similar definitions, you can report it to the Übers and they can decifer whether they should be together. Sometimes simple spelling mistakes or antiquated language can create problems in the PDB and I have found some of these exact errors.

http://davesgarden.com/botanary/search.php?search_text=stapelliformis

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Ursula,
following has been taken from the Asclepiadaceae "Handbook":
C. radicans ssp. smithii differs from ssp. radicans: Leaves smaller with slightly sinuate-undulate (wavy) margins, Corolla lobes shorter and more or less obtuse (blunt, rounded).

C. stapeliiformis ssp. serpentina differs from ssp. stapeliiformis (spelling according to book):
Stem tubercles with 2 golden-yellow stipular gland accompanied with 2 gland like structures (what ever that means) ; Peduncles usually twining; Corolla lobes not or only a little spreading, usually connivent (converging) and sprialling; interstaminal corona lobes approx. 1mm

Hope that this didn't confuse you too much. In short if your radicans has somewhat wavy leaf margins then you have ssp. smithii if they are not wavy then you have ssp. radican (more common one in the trade); if your stapeliiformis has twining flower stems then you have ssp. serpentina and if they scarcly twine then you have ssp. stapeliiformis (the more common one in trade).

Hope that helps,

Milan

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks!
yes, that helps. And I will take another very close look at both plants.

Ursula

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Looking forward seeing the pictures posted :)

Sale at Shoalcreek, sniff sniff
The longest un-defended border, NAFTA,...blablabla and a Hobby Gardner still can't get a few tropicals legally send across the border without it costing an arm and a leg. Somebody pick me some up and send them to me "Under the Table" LOL

Valley Village, CA

Millan we all have the Huntington connection. They just may sell cuttings for us, I can always ask, nothing to lose, and the Huntington needs the money raised from sales. They ship ISI plants all the time. I think they have a limit on the size of the order. jtrager@huntington.org

Valley Village, CA

Ursula, what a love flower, I am just starting to grow this species, they are a fun plant, some vines, other sticks. but the flowers are the same. Norma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.