Butterfly vine

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Would love to get some seeds to try this. What is the scientific name. I have a Greenhouse so I could grow it there in the winter.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Mascagnia macroptera is the yellow one, and mascagnia lilacina is the lavender colored one
-T

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

It seems my Evergreen Wisteria seed pods are still OK, but they are really taking their time to ripen. I lost about half my leaves due to the cold.

trois

My evergreen has lost ALL of its leaves. I harvested the seeds, and there were a lot of them, but I don't think they are any good...they are very shriveled-not plump and disk shaped...Every year it gets closer to producing a good crop of seeds. Guess I'll have to wait ONE MORE year! lol...
I thought this would be the year, but "oh well...".

Hope yours turn out better than mine did!
-T

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, I went and did it--I bought a lilac one in a 5 gal. pot from butterflybyrobin. I'm going to pick it up Sunday! I've got a new arbor up and it's anxiously awaiting it's new occupant! I'll let ya know what I see at her place, T.

QB

Good for you! You'll like this one. It is hard to find, and slow growing, so great you found a large one.

-T

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

OMIGOSH!! Robin's yard is to die for!! Talk about a candy store! She's got so much stuff planted and mulched that she's nearly gotten rid of all the grass in her yard. She's got the kind of garden talent where she puts a little thing here and there, so you're always seeing something new in a small area that has too much to see. Her backyard has a pool, but you can't hardly see it for all the plants--in the ground and in pots. I think the only places where there isn't something growing are the pathways through it.

My lilac butterfly vine is HUGE! It's staked on 4ft. bamboo sticks and about to make a lot more vines. I've got a fantastic head start! I'll take a photo once I have everything in place...

BTW, I think Robin felt sorry for me...she couldn't believe I kill mints (yes, any and all--it takes a special talent), had a good laugh at me, then gave me several small pots of different kinds and told me if I couldn't grow those, she'd laugh her butt off at me. I think she'll be laughing awhile!

You are so lucky! Sounds like a great time, and great contact!
I'll know where you'll be spending all your money!
Wish I could have seen it...maybe I'll make time for it, next time I visit my brother in Houston...
-T

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Taylor, please don't go there when you go and visit your brother...we would never see or hear from you again!
My mother told me one time, when she gave me a wreath that she got at a herb shop in VA, that I would have loved the place, and I would still be there...

LOL...nope! Don't worry! Cannot leave my hubby and cannot take the heat and humidity in Houston...lol

If I ever wanted to stay somewhere, it was at Buena Creek Gardens in CA!!!
I am amazed at what those people can do with their place and still run a business!

It sure would be fun, though...

So, you'd still be in VA, huh? lol...

I wish we had some neat places like that around here...I guess I'm just trying to create one of my own! lol...but it is taking forever, lol...

-T

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

That is what my mother told me, I still have the wreath, and I think of that everytime I see it...She isn't here anymore, and it always reminds me of her.
I think maybe the heat and humidity of Virginia would be a bit much for me..I am used to the relative dryness of Texas. (or at least this part of Texas)

This message was edited Mar 14, 2005 8:34 PM

Marion, IN(Zone 5a)

can this vine be grown in Indiana??? I think it is the prettist I have seen yet...Wonder it I can grow it in my"green room"(like a greenhouse inside).Let me know what you think.

Thanks,Karen

I think it most certainly could! As long as it doesn't get your winter temperatures and is situated in full sun, I think it would do just fine in your "green room".

(that reminds me...I need to list some of these on ebay! lol...)there is just so much to do right now, since Spring has arrived for us!

I think the blooms are ok, but it is the pods that really make this plant special.
-T

Mc Call Creek, MS

Queen Bee, is your mascagnia lilacina planted in the ground or in a pot? I'm playing with the idea of putting mine in the ground since almost everything seems to like it better. I've read that they overwinter fine outside even up in the Carolinas, and I'm right on the line of zones 8a and 8b. What do you think about putting it in the ground here?

Taylor, what do you think about this? I think you are in zone 7?

Kay

Kay-
I'm in 8a and they come back every year for me, so far, for the last two or three years...
They flower faster in pots, but grow bigger in the ground.
-T

Mc Call Creek, MS

Okay, Taylor. What I need to do is to try to root another one and do one of each. Piggy, piggy, piggy! LOL

Kay

That is exactly what I did when I first got mine! lol...
The one in the ground happily made it through winter, but never bloomed the first year.
The one I saved in the greenhouse bloomed in a quart pot!
-T

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Kay you have the blue one????? please try to root me a piece if it is big enough. Still trying to root the ragoon creeper for you. I put a stem under the dirt for winter in the GH but the plant only has a few leaves so I don't want to check it until it starts putting on some new growth. I sure hope it is o.k.

Mc Call Creek, MS

Hey Donna! I've been trying to get one going for you. So far I'm hitting on zero, but with spring about here, I'm hoping the timing will be better. Those erythrina bidwilli cuttings have leaves and have had them all winter long....but still not a root in sight! I'm hoping springtime is going to fix that. Also going to have to dig you some more starts of the red honeysuckle. The ones I had died. Er, uh, somebody forgot to water them. (Stuck them behind the greenhouse and forgot they were back there!)

I think rangoon creeper goes dormant in the winter....maybe even where it is pretty warm. I think John said something about that when he lived in Ft. Meyers.

When are you coming over?

Hugs,
Kay

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Would love to have some of these seeds, too. I can trade you for some Crotalaria pallida seeds I collected while in Lakeland, Fla last week.

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

Just back in from Florida...

I put mine in the ground and worked the vines over an arbor. It's just starting to put off new growth, so I expect it will have pretty much taken over the arbor by the end of the summer. If it doesn't bloom this year, that's okay, I have other annual vines I can grow along with it.

Stacey

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.