Butterfly vine

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

The pods really do look like butterflies...
-seedpicker_TX

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Is it the yellow or the violet flowered one?

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes, they do look like butterflies. There was an article in Birds & Blooms a few years back about a woman that takes the dried blooms & paints them to look like butterflies, did you see it? Really neat.

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Neat flower!

Indigoez-This one is the yellow, but I also have the violet/purple. My purple one refuses to bloom for me, though...*sigh*...There is supposed to be a super-rare pink one out there, too. The nurserywoman at Arbor Gate in Houston(my brother lives there) told me that she carried them last year. She is supposed to get back with me if she finds more...Now how is THAT for a tease! lol...

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Zone envy creeping in ever so slowly..........gorgeous picture!!
~Laurrie

Ohiobreezy-trust me! I have it, too!
While you look down from zone 5 to 8, I look down from 8 to 10! lol...
-seedpicker_TX

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

too funny!!

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's a picture of my violet flowered one. It never makes any butterfly seedpods though:-(

Thumbnail by Indigoez
Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Has anyone growing them ever had any problem with mealy bugs? My yellow one has been growing on the fence for around 5 years, and nver had any problem until this year. A few weeks ago when I was leaving for work, I noticed that there were a lot of dead leaves on the street side of the plant, so when I got back I checked, and mealy bugs had infested the areas of the plant where the vines had coiled together into a "stem rope" for lack of a better term, and killed a large portion of them. They went unnoticed because it's somewhat overgrown, and the fact that I don't risk getting run over by inspecting the street side of it very often lol.

I sprayed it and they seem to be under control for now, but it struck me as odd that they chose to attack after all this time...

Indigoez-
Thanks for posting the picture of your purple one! I like the purple better. Even the leaves are prettier. If the purple one doesn't make butterfly shaped pods, what do they look like?
I've had no bug problems on either of mine, so far...
Now the brugs, and bauhinia are a different story...
-seedpicker_TX

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Seedpicker, it's never made any seedopods at all:-( I assume they would look like the ones on the yellow if it ever did.

I wish that it would, because I've had no luck taking cuttings from it. Would be a nice thing to have for trading.

Speaking of Bauhinia, I had one that nearly died from scale this year. I had to cut it way back and manually wipe down all the stems to get rid of them. It recovered nicely though, and is taller than it was before now.

Edited for typo.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2004 3:34 PM

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Interesting that you have bugs on your bauhinia, I have the tree and the vine & have never seen ANY bugs on either. What is going after it besides scale?

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Nothing else on any of them yet, Pudgy. I have B. purpurea (the infested one), B. galpinii, and the vining one, B. yunnanensis (not sure of that spelling).

I have the B. yunnanensis, B. corymbosa, and B. purpurea.
The purpurea is the only one that I have bug trouble with, and it had scale.
The other two vines are bug free, and always have been.
Maybe it is just the tree form they like?
-seedpicker_TX

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Mine was blooming, but it is under water right now, lol.. I hope it will survive..
Really like that purple one..

Larkie

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hmm, well I will for sure watch for critters now that I know something likes them.
Thanks for the info.
Donna

Indigoez-
Your purple blooms inspired me to go have a talk with mine! lol...
I must have either had an impact, or just had good timing, because I saw teeny tiny little buds!
Whooppee!
-seedpicker_TX

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

LOL that is hilarious, it "HAD" to be the chat!
~Laurrie

Laurrie- Really? Ya think so??
maybe I should have a "talk" with some of my OTHER plants! lol...

I can just see you talking to your morning glories, now! lol....
-seedpicker_TX

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Congrats, seedpicker!:-) Keep us updated on their progress...

Thanks! I will!
I hope they are as beautiful as yours, Indigoez!
-seedpicker_TX

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

LOL well...............you sure don't wanna know how much I have been talking to my MG's this year!!! it would scare you. tee hee!!
~Laurrie

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, I'm just dying from vine envy here...my little yellow seedling has been hanging on for dear life for two years now, and I'd yet to see a good photo of the lavender one--very nice photo, Indigoez!

These are the buds as they are progressing.
The anticipation has me singing that Carly Simon song! lol...

Queeny-
Hee, hee, hee! Green, yet??? hee, hee, hee!
You know what I'm up to here?? I'll trade you a butterfly plant for "you know what". Maybe you can do another trade for those things that I am green over!
I may even just remember you when the lavender sets seeds...lol...
hee, hee, hee...
-T

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

*clutching her purple seeds tightly to her ample chest*

I don't know...

*looks at the photo, then back to the seeds*

This is agony! NOT FAIR!

Lol...good news is you know you can break me down!
Especially since I was able to trade for those this morning!
Now, you are off the hook!
-seedpicker_TX

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

Heh heh heh...

It finally bloomed!

-seedpicker_TX

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Very nice seedpicker:-)

I found several shoots on mine that had rooted where they were trailing along the ground. I've potted them up, so hopefully they'll survive...

Good for you! That will make good trade material for this winter! lol...
...Like trading pure gold! lol...
-seedpicker_TX

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

oh to cool

Thomasville, GA(Zone 9a)

Larkie: I was looking through the different forums and saw your name. I'm in Thomasville and I noticed that you have listed zone 8a. I put 9a on my info because I couldn't read the map real good. I probably should change. Name is Elaine, county commission in Thomas County. This is a great site and I spend way to much time reading all the fantastic information that is here.

I saw the T word LOL have any to trade?

Joseph

China Spring, TX(Zone 8a)

Could someone please tell me where I can order these seeds? I think this is a beautiful vine. I've never seen it before. I'm in the country and have an 8' deer fence. Last year was my first year here and I put Moonvine, potato vine, roses, and purple hyacnth.. This would be a gorgeous vine to try instead of the potato vine. I didn't care for that as it didn't bloom. I do LOVE the moonvine though as the fragrance is so yummy. Thanks for any help.. Hilary PS seedpicker. I moved from Plano area..

Hello Hag49-
Too bad you moved! I could really grow to like having more gardening buddies close by, lol...
But, seriously, I'm sure you moved to a great place!

I really don't know about a source, and I am out. They are hard to come by, and you might just post for some on the seed trading forum, or watch ebay for them.

I've never seen them offered in any of the catalogs I get, and I get QUITE a few garden catalogs!

Where is China Spring? Are you south enough to be zone 9? They'd do well there, if you are...

I am (you already know this!) in zone 8, and they are a little tender here...have to mulch really well...
-T

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

T-

That one little lone yellow seedling that I started a few years back is hangin' in there! I put it in a one gallon pot, and it's withstood the freezing temps like it never happened. I'm really incouraged! Is yours evergreen? Mine hasn't dropped any leaves.

QB

Hey Stacey-
I have no clue! lol...
I brought them into the greenhouse, since I didn't get them planted in time to get established. I think you are a bit warmer than I am, but I didn't want to chance it. I will absolutely, positively plant them this Spring! lol...

I know the purple isn't evergreen for me. The lost their leaves about a month back. They always come back, though... Even my "evergreen" wisteria lost its leaves recently. We've had some real rollercoaster weather. I remember one day it was 75* and I was wearing shorts, and the next day it was freezing! LITERALLY! lol..

You know...I think we planted ours at the same time, didn't we??? I'm pretty sure! lol...

-T

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

I think I gave you the seeds, didn't I? Sheesh, I've slept since then...LOL I plan on finally getting mine into the ground this spring too. In fact, I'm going to try to get all my plants in the ground that are supposed to be. I did get quite a few in this past year. Hurrah!

I know what you mean about the weather...5 days after is snowed in Galveston (2 hrs. from here) and we were freezing our rears off, I was outside in 80°F weather wearing shorts...now we're freezing again! Doncha just love it??

That's Texas..., but I still love it

Every year, I say to myself "THIS year, I'm gonna get EVERYTHING planted and out of thier pots and containers...even if I have to dig one thing in a day to get it all done. "

LOL...

Trouble is...I keep ADDING to the potted and container-ed plants by growing more in the greenhouse!

What a viscious cycle!
-T

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.