Hurricane Ivan (Hope not Ivan the Terrible) - PART 2

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

RedRose, even if you're outside the cone and you are further west than New Orleans... but doesn't mean the storm won't do some damage - tho, going east toward N.Orlns would not be my choice. Better cement than trailer. guess that's the rule.

Take care everybody. I keep reading and posting everyone on my atlas - yellow marks all over the place. ohmiohmiohmi

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Blooms, those folk probably really appreciate that there are so many of outside the Danger area that care what happens to them. Keep up the yellow marks!

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Blooms ad Darius, yes it is...blooms, could you take a pic and post it?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Please post a picture of the map that shows where people reside!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Golly guys, I am just using my road atlas, going to each page and finding the towns that they're posting from.... Darius in Back of Beyond is a little hard to locate. LOL but I'll think on it.. Doesn't DG have this map thingy somewhere>?
Darius???

Blooms, LOL... as far as I know "In Back of Beyond" is just my humor and not a real place. I'm actually between Hiawassee, GA and Hayesville, NC, although mail address is Hayesville.

The map Dave did is too small to be of any use in this instance.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Silly girl I knew it was a 'mind' place not a post office place.

ü

Homosassa, FL(Zone 9a)

Since Ivan became a threat, I've been praying, not that he would change direction (that just puts someone else in danger's path), but that it would just cease to exist (or at least downgrade a LOT!).

I hope that all of you in Ivan's path remain safe and remember: do what you can, and leave the rest up to the Lord.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

here is where Weeds and I live. I am just to the east of Pensacola, which is close to Mobile Alabama.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Thanks rylaff! Hey, we need to get together some time! Nothing like a hurricane to make fast friends.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Look out for that NE quandrant you two!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

yea, I know.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

me too

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Just talked to my sis on the phone....they're just south of Montgomery ,AL. They left Dauphin Island at noon today. Traffic is bumper to bumper and they are getting ready to turn all lanes of I-65 into northbound only.

They've been on the road a little over 6 hours and the whole trip only takes 8 1/2 usually...and they are still 61/2 hours from home on a good day. Wrecks and stalled vehicles everywhere, along with the steady lines of traffic.

Bummer, Mel.

Rylaff, Thanks for the map. Lets me know where y'all really are. You will end up being yellow marks on Blooms' map though, LOL.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi yall,
Here is where we are. You can see I circled LSP hometown of Chalmette, it is the oval one to the right of New Orleans.

I am actually in the small town of Gray, not Thibodaux. I have use Thibodaux as a 'hometown' because Gray doesn't have a post office.

We are almost finished boarding up. We still have several windows left that we will get first thing in the morning. The mosquitos were too bad to fight.

It has been really frantic here the past 2 days. I went to Walmart yesterday at 9 a.m and they were out of water.

The roads are mostly gridlocked. I talked to LSP earlier and she was stuck in a major jam. It took her over an hour to get to what usually takes her little time.

We are right on the edge of the "cone". It runs through our parish. I think we will be okay as long as it doesn't shift. Right now only a part of our parish is under a hurricane warning.

My heart is heavy for all that are in the path. I really worry about my New Orleans friends. This could be horrible, poor Jean, I am really worried if she would have a home to go home to.

Everyone take care.

Thumbnail by justmeLisa

Capai and GSkinner: This, from the 7PM NOAA Update:

Quoting:
...HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO SPREAD INLAND UP TO ABOUT 100 MILES NEAR THE PATH OF IVAN.

COASTAL STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 10 TO 16 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS...ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS BATTERING WAVES...CAN BE EXPECTED NEAR AND TO THE EAST OF WHERE THE CENTER MAKES LANDFALL.

I just had an email from my old housemate. Her parents, until last fall, lived in a very expensive gated golf community in Boone, NC, where most of the other owners has primary houses elsewhere... notably Palm Beach. She said most of them no longer have homes in Palm Beach. Also, they have not heard yet from Uncle Bill who lived on an island off West Palm, and it's been a few days since Frances came that way.

Has power been totally restored to that area? Anyone know?

Also... I keep hearing Ivan should turn slightly more N than W, which the projected paths show but I don't see it on the actual track. Anyone closer have any better data?

There are still several without power in Florida. My sister's son-in-law works for Florida Power & Light and he hasn't been home since Charley.

Thanks, Vic. I thought it might be to early to worry.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Ivan has had a history of not turning north as forcasted! :-(

Yeah, John... that's a concern.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Our weatherman is still tracking it in to the ms/ala state line, but the new orleans weatherman seems to think its going to go further west..and he keeps mentioning gulfport, which REALLY concerns me.
Looks like we're going to get hit pretty hard. All plans to finish in the morning and then head over to my mom and dads. Hate to wish bad luck on alabama, but really hope our weatherman is right, because that puts us on the west side of the storm.
The latest updates shows the cone further east than morgan city and further west than panama city.
jen

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

ohmi heavens I just found Dauphin Island on the map. Be lucky if the island is still there, much less anything on it. oh how awful.

And Darius, I've got Rylaff, Lisa, SwPea, Judithl, RedRose, Cheri [Sundry], DelphDiva, Capai, Roz,& JanetOS, MsJen and YOU all marked on my maps so far. When I hit the road traveling I'll already know where foks live.

Looks like the KRU will be getting rained on if the predictions hold.

This message was edited Sep 14, 2004 7:59 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

How many of you are starting to feel the gusts &/or rain now?

Wish you could scan your map for us, Blooms.

I hope you are not right about rain for the KYRU but If Ivan stalls, that's a great possibility.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

this afternoon we had some gentle winds blowing, tonight it is a beautiful clear night. I can see tons of stars out...which is normal, calm before the storm..by tomorrow mid morning, they are telling us conditions will start to go downhill. Because the storm is so big, if it makes a MS landfall we will still get some rain here.

I am off to bed, I am pretty beat..

MS, ALA, FL friends, be careful. I know that none of us wants to see it hit any of us, but someone is going to get it.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I gotta howcum-- it hit Grenada at night - scraped the coast of Jamaica at night -- chewed across that penninsula of Cuba - again at night And now will hit the coast - AT NIGHT. Somehow the fact that this will be happening at night makes it worse. You can't see what's happening. Howcum Indeed!!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I wonder how many in the Panhandle notice a difference then....looking at the satellite picture it looks like the outerbands are already over land.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Nothing here lilypon, I am still going outside to get things secured.....was gonna do it in the morning but I see some bad stuff almost getting to us so decided to get some of it done tonight. More later, no wind here.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Wish I could help you Connie.......hoping and wishing all the best for you peeps!!

Please, please keep posting as long as y'all can! It was so painful waiting for Pati's post, then watching that monster move in, now wondering how all of you are doing will be next. Shouldn't complain....... I certainly won't be in the situation you all will be facing , but we sure will be worrying!

Yeah, and I will be worrying right along with you!

Where's LouisianaSweetPea??

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

She went to bed. Also, started a new thread here:

ed. to remove a bonehead mistake!!

This message was edited Sep 14, 2004 9:39 PM

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

Hope this storm gets beat up by the prevailing westerlies while it is still over the Gulf. Needs to ratchet down about 2 or 3 categories.

I don't get it, John... I just get another storm picture, no text.

Why wouldn't she post here?

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Its called "Before there were names"

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

justmelisa started that one, John. Darius was asking about LouisianaSweetPea. :-)

John, wasn't that Lisa (JustMeLisa) in "Before there were names" rather than LouisianaSweetPea who started this thread?

I know she and her DH and pets have evacuated but I understood she wasn't going far (under 2 hours inland) and taking her computer. She's also the one that has the wonderfully comprehensive link at the top of this thread of all the current data on the storms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.