Hurricane Ivan (Hope not Ivan the Terrible) - PART 2

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

Darius, I saw your message and started another thread, since the older one was loading slowly for some.

Here is the link to the latest information on Hurricane Ivan:

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/Minnyminew/weather_hurricanes_2004_ivan.htm

And here is the link to the first thread:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/454982/

Sick as a dog tonight with a raging migraine headache too. But we're bugging out of here Tuesday. Normally, it is only an hour-and-15-minute drive to Hammond. We'll see what the traffic is like tomorrow.

I was finishing-up packing this afternoon and just stopped dead in my tracks when the thought REALLY hit me that there might not be anything to come back to. But the most important things in my life will be with me.... my DH, my three kitties, and a whole BUNCH of Little Debbie cakes!!! LOL.

I'll probably check-in in the morning before I unhook this thing. Everyone take care!!!

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Ya'll be careful, y'hear!!!!! And check in often, please.
I hope your migraine lets up soon! Probably nervous tension about Ivan. Seems he'll get us all some way or another. ;~)

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

This is going to be a bad one!!
It is really scary, seems to be taking sorta the same path as Camille!! I was only 4, then, but I hoped to never live to see anything like that again.
Ya'll take care!!
Janet

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

You all need to keep alert too!!! Judith, Janet, are you in "the cone"?

I couldn't sleep, so I'm going to grab a couple of hours of shut-eye and head out later this morning. We got the van packed last night, so all we'll have to do is jump in the van with the cats and go.

Things a man shouldn't say to a jumpy woman during storm preparations:

1) What storm?
2) I don't want to hear about a "cone." Where is it going EXACTLY? (A bazillion other people want to know the same thing).
3) You want to take your computer? Don't we have a laptop? (NO, because he griped and griped and couldn't see the "need" for one! -- NOW he does)

I'm trying to travel light. I'm taking one change of clothes and some essentials, stuffed into a large "doctor's bag" type handbag. My DH started packing, and it looks as if he is going to spend three weeks in Bermuda. I'm surprised he didn't haul out the matched set of luggage! LOL.

I don't know if I'm taking my computer. The hotel's Web site said that they have a computer/printer/Internet access, so I may be able to check in occasionally. I hope to be back home by Friday, if at all possible, unless this area is uninhabitable.

The local 5:00 a.m. broadcast showed a track almost directly to New Orleans, with a last-minute, "hoped-for" turn to the northeast. But it looks as if Ivan might come VERY close to us -- too close for comfort.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Well, we are staying; Will bring in the plants tonight, since I have to work tomorrow. Hopefully, will be able to get home after work tomorrow. Would hate to spend the storm in my truck on the highway. We have loaded up on provisions and have a plan in care we lose electricity.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Other Things a man shouldn't say to a jumpy woman during storm preparations:

1. "I am going to finish mowing all my customers yards today and we can board up tomorrow"

2. "that storm isn't going to hit us"

3."if it hits New Orleans, it will not be TOO bad for us" (mind you, we live about 60 miles from New Orleans and the hurricane is 200 miles long)

4."I can get the boards measured, cut and put up all in one morning" (hello, we have 35+windows)

5. "You really want to bring the dogs????"

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

From the 8AM Advisory:

Quoting:
NOTE: DUE TO FORECAST ERRORS...ONE SHOULD NOT FOCUS ON THE EXACT TRACK AS THE EVENTUAL LANDFALL POINT. THE ENTIRE HURRICANE WATCH AREA IS AT RISK.

FORECASTER AVILA

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

Lisa, now THAT'S a man in denial. Good luck to ya, darlin'. Near as I can tell, Thibodaux is too dang close to the gulf for denial of any kind.

Every time I see TWC projected path it seems to move a bit further west along the coast.

Lisa, tell that man the grass will probably drown and he doesn't need to cut it first, LOL.

I remember a couple years ago there was some intense discussion here on DG when y'all were in a direct path of some hurricane, and with lots of Prayers, it fizzled or something, sparing you.

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

Two years ago Lily drew down on us in Louisiana . . . at the last moment, she lost strength and turned out to be a rather mild hurricane. A miracle, it seemed. They say God loves Louisiana . . . but we can't take that for granted.

I'm just to the west of the 'cone', watching, waiting, worrying . . . praying. This is one very scary storm. That insanely low pressure means it's got stamina . . . Don't anyone take chances. Even if you are not on the coast, this one had the strength to stay powerful well inland.

Cheri'

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Got all the plants packed into the shade house and rope around it - hope the whole shebang doesn't blow away! Headed north today, with three kids, dog, cat, hedgehog, rats, snakes, hamsters and sick baby with ear infection. What fun!!! Hope the chickens don't blow away - can't see showing up at hotel and saying "you take pets? Oh good, here's our ten hens!" Prayers for everyone on the coast!
dd

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

BTW - we have to evacuate bc dh works for Bellsouth and has emergency post - guess where? BIRMINGHAM!!!! So we will get to watch the storm one way or the other! Hotels have back up generators, right??

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

be safe..

It looks like we are staying put and hunkering down. Got all my supplies yesterday. Today I am frantic picking up and tying down things. I have the outside animals quarters all boarded up.

God be with us all here on the Gulf coast!

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

The 11AM advisory dropped the wind speed to 145. Still VERY serious 'cane, but hopefully that trend will continue before landfall. Frances was 145 but dropped to 125 before she hit here. That twenty MPH drop made a tremendous difference.

My prayers go with you as you travel. My family is Navy, so I wish you the sailor's blessing...."Fair winds and following seas". God bless you my friends.
Pati

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Just talked to my sister and her husband...they had gone down to Dauphin Island, AL to inspect the new roof on their sea front vacation home.

They were leaving within the hour and headed home...9 hrs. They discussed going half way and then returning to see what was left of their home, but they have 3 big dogs with them and figured that they didn't need 4 foots under foot when they went back.

Jim said that it looks like there won't be much to come back to....they just bought their dream home earlier this year. Looking to retire there in a few years....so sad.

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

DD, dixiechick - everyone!!! BE SAFE!!!

Here's some not so good news for my area, from the 11AM Forecast Discussion:

Quoting:
THERE IS CONSIDERABLE SPREAD IN THE MODEL FORECASTS AFTER LANDFALL...AND IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE REMNANTS OF IVAN WILL MOVEVERY SLOWLY OR STALL NEAR OR OVER THE APPALACHIANS IN 4 OR 5 DAYS...WHICH WOULD PRODUCE A VERY SERIOUS FLOODING EVENT.

FORECASTER FRANKLIN

DD, I got a laugh out of you taking your hens to a motel, LOL. They could be the next "Peabody Hotel" with all their ducks!

Mel, yes, losing a dream home may be sad but not as sad as losing them would be.

I'm hundreds of miles inland I don't worry about winds or storm surge, just drowning in all the rains that will come off the mountains, or falling off, especially if Ivan stalls. Look at this photo of The Blue Ridge Parkway after Frances was here that Patischell posted elsewhere: http://www.citizen-times.com/cache/article/news/61363.shtml

Darius, do you get the feeling there is some sort of plot a'foot? Florida big tourist area, Western NC big tourist area.....spooky isn't it?
Pati

and if they don't hit us, it's the Outer Banks or Myrtle Beach.

This message was edited Sep 14, 2004 1:40 PM

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Yikes ! That's one big hole. We've traveled the Blue Ridge many times...one of my favorite drives.

Molly and Jim are pretty much resigned to whatever happens....they're smart enough to know that there's nothing they can do by staying there at this point. They're headed back to Paducah and will wait it out.

When it's safe to return, they'll go see if there's anything left and make plans for repairs......if the beach is still there. They haven't been down there long enough to get to know their neighbors very well....and those folks are leaving too. She was hoping to find someone to call so that they would have an idea of what to expect before they returned.

She had just re-furnished and re-modled...so she's not very happy at this point.....but glad she has a home to go to. Some of these folks....it's the only house they have.

It's now official, TD #11 has reached Tropical Storm strength and bears the name "Jeanne" out in the Atlantic, generally heading in the Puerto Rico direction.

Just what we need.

Pati, there seem to be so many bad things happening that could eventually totally disrupt the economy world-wide. Of course the Tourist areas feel it first in both lack of tourists or wannabe tourists that can no longer vacation because their home blew away... or their jobs. Becomes a Domino Effect.

How much money can the insurance companies continue to pay out, not to mention our future tax-dollars the gov't is paying out now in storm-relief? And Hurricane Season is far from over.

I think if they finally add up just the costs of Frances and Charley from Florida to Maine it will be staggering, much less adding Ivan and anything that may follow.

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

checking in......Praying for everyone in the path of Ivan. We were told this morning to be prepared to be with out power up to 2 maybe 3 weeks if Ivan stays on track...

people are almost in a panic here...walmart is packed and out of water, bread, and most canned items, flashlights, etc. as of now, we were told a truck was on the way with more supplys. This is bad when people are buying up things faster than walmart can stock and it's 2 days away still!

I hope it's all hipe but, I do remember Opal if you ask me she had nothing on Ivan...Please stay safe everyone

will check in when I can as long as I have power

Hugs & Prayers, Carol

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

We would all appreciate that, Carol.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

The weather channel's Jim Cantori is in Panama City Beach and they show of good shots of our beautifrl beach every once in awhile if any of you have been here. Can see what it looks like and why I live here. I am a beach bum at heart just too old for the heat!

I guess we all need to be aware our friends could be without power and out of touch for an extended time, even up here if we get flooding.

Weeds, you are right... your beaches are beautiful! Hope Ivan leaves you some of them.

This message was edited Sep 14, 2004 3:48 PM

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Is the beach really that white?

Here's "Jeanne" coming along out in the Atlantic:

Thumbnail by darius
Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

John, yeppers, like snow and the sand is soft like sugah. It is the shape of the granules (oval) that makes it so unique.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I'll be durned.

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

Yes, LSP, I am in the center of the cone. Yikes!!
I am freaking out!!!
Stay safe everyone!!
Janet

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

i will vouch that what Weeds says is true. I live by Destin Florida and our beaches are snow white and the sand is very fine. They are not kidding when they advertise that we have the worlds most beautiful beaches.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Janet, lay low and buckle down girl!

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

Be safe everyone! This is for sure a monster storm!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

We don't know what we will be doing yet so my DS is coming down here that he live in New Orleans.. oh boy it make me too nervous about the hurricane hope not hit here if it does we will get out of here not safe to stay our trailer for sure bring my dogs.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! save every one from this monster storm.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

weeds we were drooling over your beaches last night...saw them on a couple of different stations.

RedRose, I'm glad your son is coming. Will there still be time to evacuate and not get caught in traffic on the roads?

Are we allowed to give our telephone numbers here? I would be glad to do that and take any calls from our DG's that might be lucky enough to find a phone that works. The one thing I didn't lose was my phone. I had a $3.99 old fashioned phone from Walgreens that you plug into the phone line and does not require electricity to run it like the new-fangled ones. All the cell phones were down for days. Nextel stayed out the longest. I would be glad to post for anyone calling.
Pati

Pati, probably not a good idea to post telephone numbers even though I don't think anyone here would abuse the privilege. How about just posting that you will send it by email? I think many will appreciate the gesture.

I have one of those old phones... in storage. Duh.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.