Tropical Hibiscus Seeds

Danville, VA(Zone 7b)

I was wondering if a tropical hibiscus seed looks like a perennial hibiscus seed? I seem to be having a problem getting the seeds mature enough to germinate. The pods fall off the plant before they get the size I think they need to be. When I open them there are small v shaped black seeds that resemble a very small rose-of-sharon without the fuzz on them instead of a perennial hibiscus. I am trying to get these seeds from Miami Tropicals that are 5 feet tall. Believe it or not, we got them from Wal-Mart 2 years ago for $3.00 apiece because they were left in the parking lot to die. They are now some of the most beautiful deck plants that we have. We would like to try to get the tropical to germinate from seed. We are getting tired of making cuttings off of our beautiful plants. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

You can get cuttings off hibiscus? How? This would be great!

cyberageous, take a cutting at least 6" long from green wood, strip off all but the 2 top mature leaves (and any blooms), stick the cutting in a soda bottle full of water, sit bottle in north facing window and wait for roots. (Usually takes between 2-6 weeks)

Danville, VA(Zone 7b)

You don't even have to go through the water soaking thing. All I do is cut the stems about 6 to 8 inches long at the node, dip it in root tone and plant it and keep it watered. I have even taken 3/8 in. wood stem with 3 or 4 stems extending off of it that had broken off the mother plant, and root toned it and planted it. It is blooming as I type. It was a red Miami. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the other technique works, but I find this easier. I did probably 30 cuttings this past summer from tropicals and perennials. The perennials I did were the Texas Red Star. I would have to say 25 out of the 30 took root.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.