Schefflera arboricola, can it survice winter outside?

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Our Schefflera got just a teensy bit tall and it had to come inside for the winter, the problem was that it was a few feet taller than our eleven foot ceilings. We propped it up at an angle, prayed alot and I counted the days till spring. This winter, it will be around seventeen feet tall, so the house is out of the question. The winter greenhouse is out of the question. Has anyone managed to keep one outside all winter? We use the large C7 Christmas lights around the elephant ears in the winter greenhouse and they do well. I wonder if the lights will be enough to keep the Schefflera warm enough. We get to a rare freeze once or twice, but see the higher thirties commonly. I do not want to lose this guy but I don't know what to do this winter. The rubber tree, same problem, he is at 15 feet now, will probably be twenty by winter.

Flat Rock, NC(Zone 7b)

ladyanne, I lived in south Florida, not sure of the zone ther, but I think it's 9 or 10. I kept mine outside year 'round with no problems. Also, we had 2 rubber trees that had to be over 50 years old in our yard.

I think those wil do fine in your zone over the winter. Just IMHO...:)

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

Shaz, thanks! I truly think I will keep it outside (opposed to air layering it and reducing it's size) and just keep a very sharp eye on it.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

My goodness they are big. What do you feed those babies? Start knitting mittens for it. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.