Sedum list

Valley Village, CA

All of you 934 people who read what we write on the Sedum list, if you don't participate you certainly are not going to get a 'Flying Box'

I love sending them out, a few each week, that is all I can afford, I even make my own boxes when I run out, It hard to find small boxes.
When I go to a hardware store that is where I find the small boxes, or early in the morning when they are stocking the groery store, I can get the small boxes, the ones for batteries are great. I would think if you would all write in, we could get our own Sedum forum, and exchange plants, would that be worth it to you, this is cheaper than buying a book. I just potted up some Graptopetalum 'Gray Ghost'
about 20 of them. This is a plant that hangs down and can be put in a hanging basket, it loves the sun, and appears to be quiet hardy.
Hardy to me is 30F There are Sedum from Europe / China that can even take much colder temperatures.
Sedums in Outdoor containers in areas with frosty wingers:
Sedum anacamperseros, acre 'minus' and diploids, album , cauticola, dasyphyllum, divergens, 'Harvest Moon' middendorffianum, ochroleucum, oregonense, rosea, rupestre, rupifragum, sieboldii, spathulifolium 'Cape Blanco' spathulifolium var. purpureum, tatarinowii, trollii I hope this helps all of 935, that don't join in. Next I will give a list of the Alpine species perhaps tomorrow. Norma

Kirksville, MO(Zone 5a)

Norma:

I am wondering if "Grey Ghost" is the name of my neighbor's plant? I took a pic of hers, and she gave me a rosette to start. If it is something different, I would love to have a little bit. I know I am new here, but I am trying to contribute what I can. This whole site has taught be so much, and I am hoping to add as many photos as I can. (I don't feel like my gardening "expertise" would be very useful to others yet, since I am just beginning! But I can take pics and upload them.)

:)
Kim

Thumbnail by kbads
Kirksville, MO(Zone 5a)

Here's a close up of the same plant:

Thumbnail by kbads
San Jose, CA

I haven't had much to post Sedum-wise lately. A few items:

The local nurseries have recieved some very large S. 'Autumn Joy'. I grabbed one and its starting to bloom, but with green flowers? This is much different from the S. spectabile 'Autumn Joy' that I have. I'll give it a few more days to see if the color changes, then I'll post a photo. S. 'Vera Jameson' is in bloom.

You mention S. spathulifolium 'Cape Blanco'. I've been struggling to keep this one healthy. Does it need more sun? less sun?

I keep checking people's trade lists for Sedum's, but rarely find any.

Robert

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Robert,

We do love our sedums. I just started my collection this year and some have died and some have done very well. I am in process of moving my garden to my new house and when I get it over there I will be better able to see what I have an abundance of and post some on my trade list.

Seems like everyone has autumn joy. I have plenty now as I received many in trades. I just got my first purple emperor. After I get it in the ground I expect it will grow much better.

Molly
:^)))

Valley Village, CA

MollyMc, keep in touch so I will know when you have moved.

Hi Kim, glad to have you on board. Kbads, I think you have 'Gray Ghost' it has a sister plant that turns a little pink and lavander. I would need to do some research to find out it's name. I have the books here, but 50 years of them so it would take some time.

Tonight I'm going to list the hardy Sedum, the ones that can it really cold, like snow cold. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Winter Hardy plants of Sedum: Alpine Sedum

boehmeri
brevifolium- all forms
chanetii
dasyphyllum var. mesatlanticum
dasyphyllum subsp. oblongifolium
diffusum
farinosum
glaucophyllum
hirsutum
humifusum
luteoviride
multiceps
muscoideum
pilosum
pluricaule
sempervivoides
spathulifolium
'Aureum'
spinosum I hope this helps those of you who live in winter alpine conditions.

Norma

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I sure wish all this wasn't Greek to be. I love the few I have of what I think are sedums. Maybe next year I will have time to learn what they are and add to them.

Valley Village, CA

Sedum 'Cape Blanco' I can't grow that one at all, I think it need cooler weather than I can give it. It brother has red leaves, would think that would need sun because it it red but I don't know. Perhaps some of the other people will help you out on this.

Darius, I didn't learn all of this in a day, it's taken me 12 years, I learned about them one at a time. I also lost (croaked) quiet a few. You learn with every disaster you have. But they give you such pleasure. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Robert, so far the trade list has been too difficult for me to navigate. I only have Sedum that will grow in hot summers that are dry, and cool winters that if we are lucky will have 9" of rain, Israel gets more rain than we do, and we are in the same zone. I'm in US 10 International 21 So my growing condition are probably very much different than yours. We need to look at the altitudes in which they grow naturally. That will make a difference, so pay attention to where they grow. Norma

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Hi Norma. . . .your lists are very helpful in narrowing down from the hundreds of sedums (probably a modest estimation) . . .to something we can work with easily. . .thanks. . . oh and I haven't forgotten about those plant markers. . .will surprise you one day soon. . . . (every single one of the specimens you gave me in July are doing fine, even the strands of ceropegia varieties are rooting at the joints..a long slow process, but looks like they will make it. I also got a few items from Grigsby's and they were gorgeous...one I really love called 'Green Ice', a Gasteraloe....and another one, a Sansevierria called Kirkii Pulchra 'Copper Form'...(sorry, I know they're not sedum, but neat just the same). Hope you're well!! Janet

Modi'in, Israel

I have just got what I think are 3 different sedums. But they are SOooooooo tiny. They were actually given to me by the garden center - 2 were pieces that fell off as they were showing me things that might work on my wall (earlier post) and one was a an offshoot that was rooting already so they just took it off and gave it to me to see if I can keep them alive on the wall. Sort of a "tester kit" LOL. If they begin to grow and survive, I'll post photos of them. But I really love them whatever they are. The great thing about succulents is that they are so much like cacti but without the thorns...and although I love cacti (but knwo NOTHING about them), my husband won't hear of having them because of our small children. So the compromise of having succulents on that one wall out of reach of children might one day get him to the point that he will accept some cacti there too :-)

If you start a sedum list, I'll be a regular visitor. And I'll post too if these little guys survive and prove to be sedums afterall (as that will mean I'll want to add more more more to my tiny collection). :-)

-Julie

San Jose, CA

Actually, I'm in San Jose, which shouldn't be that much different than N. Hollywood. I'm suprised they sell S. 'Cape Blanco' here so often if it doesn't
do well in heat.

And I agree with the tradelist navigation. A pain. I keep mine online:
http://www.hoodr.com/cacti/index.php?page=trade

Robert

Valley Village, CA

Two more 'Flying Boxes' went out today, it sure is slow going, I'm trying to label them all, Norma

Robert so that is what my problem with that plant. I do love it. What is the red one called. ? That is good information and we all thank you. Do you have more fog, and humidity, do you know Rowena Southwell? Norma

ARE YOU NEXT IN LINE TO GET A
'FLYING BOX' ? WOULDN'T YOU LIKE TO KNOW? THIS IS SO MUCH FUN, I LOVE A MYSTERY.

Norma

Valley Village, CA

'Flying Boxes'

I'm mailing out two more this week, no one knows who will receive them, this will be a mixed selection of cuts, all very small so I can get more in. I still would like to be notified when they are received. One way or the other.
Thanks, more to come, I love a mystery, don't you.

Guess who will be next. Norma

Kirksville, MO(Zone 5a)

Norma,

If you aren't the most popular gal on this site, I'd like to know who is?!?!?! I can't wait until I have enough "product" to share!

Just wanted to say thanks for all of your help! How do we go about getting our own sedum forum anyway?

Kim

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Can heat & high humity cause sedum to do poorly? mine has looked so nice up til this last month and did the same thing last yr..right when it's ready to bloom, it just starts falling apart and dying...any ideas?

Valley Village, CA

Janet, I have those species that you got from Grigsby's. I don't only grow Sedum, they are actually one of my least favorite plants. I love Haworthia, Aloe, Crassula, Sansevieria, Sencio, Aeoniums, Hoya, and several others. I have a Heinz variety. To get a Sedum forum ask Dave. I started the Hoya forum, it is going well I think, we are all getting along fine although we may dissagree on many things, but forums are meant to be discussions groups, and hopefully learning groups, I am hopeing to get some names for my Sedum which I had and lost. So you see I need all of you as much as you need me. This is not about being popular, I just want to be helpfull. If you want me to ask Dave I am willing to do so, lets all email him this week, I think he will get the hint. Okay, gang, lets do it. Norma

Valley Village, CA

I sure do have ideas why they fall apart. Most Crassulaceae will fall apart after they flower, it's their way of telling you to start them over, so do it. Cut off the flowers, toss out, be very carefull where you toss.
Now start them over. Crassula will hang down over the edge of their pots with roots hanging down from the nodes, guess what mom, I need a new bed and linens, (soil)
Kalanchoe also have roots that hang down.
Sedum just root down where ever they touch.
Some Senecio vines will do the same thing, form lumps on the nodes, or roots. By the way my Senecio Africana is showing very large flowers, I now taking cuts of this great Senecio. It will from a large bulb under the soil line. No bulbs on the nodes of the vine.
Aeonium will do so also, but be careful, do not take off the babies around the skirt of the mother until Nov. 1 to March 1, just set them into an empty pot in the shade until you see the roots come down. I do them by leaf.

Sempervivums also do in the winter, a good rule of thumb, redo winter growers in the beginning of winter or after the plant flowers. Summer grower about April 1 for us, or after all danger of frost is gone.

Aloe wait until it warms up a bit.

Haworthia, when it gets cool.

No Sedum when it's hot. I start mine in early spring. June they all fall apart, so not be alarmed, it is nothing that you are doing wrong, other than perhaps overwater at this time of year. They rest after they flower.

Norma

Valley Village, CA

What plant markers, what do you mean? Tags, always put two in, and write the marker with pencil #2 soft this will last for 5 years if on plastic, I can yoouallllllll suggestions for these as well, venetion blinds, cut up white plastic or color milk, juice bottles, aluminum tags. I don't know if they can be made out of cans, write on the inside and put a hole on the top attach with a fine wire. Always use duplicate tage, I have 3000+ plants so I don't practice what I preach. I'm trying. Norma

Valley Village, CA

I just noticed I wrote wringer instead of winters. Sorry , but I'm a touch typist, I don't proff, I have to many letters to respond to. If I don't respond to your questions, please ask again, I do want to get back to you. Norma

Valley Village, CA

I just noticed I wrote winger instead of winter. Sorry , but I'm a touch typist, I don't proff, I have to many letters to respond to. If I don't respond to your questions, please ask again, I do want to get back to you. I['m still working on pictures. Norma

Valley Village, CA

I just noticed I wrote winger instead of winter. Sorry , but I'm a touch typist, I don't proff, I have to many letters to respond to. If I don't respond to your questions, please ask again, I do want to get back to you. I['m still working on pictures. You will see a Dudley, Sedum, Agave.
Norma

Thumbnail by Crasulady2
Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Norma...you generously gave me markers, as I was unprepared with my own the day I visited you...anyway, that was in July and I'm sure you've forgotten..but I haven't.. ;p) Janet

Valley Village, CA

Lets see if this works today. Norma

Thumbnail by Crasulady2
Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Norma..it worked.... :-)

hugs Carol

Valley Village, CA

Okay we got a picture, That is a big Dudley in front, now look in the back we have a sedum that is very blue, That Dudley alwasy looks terrible this time of the year, their leaves dry up and don't fall off. It is a winter grower, and will perk up about Oct. or whenever we cool off here. We are a month early on fruit, the Apple trees are still holding their leaves. I did have a crop a month early. So I'll need to watch the plants closely and see what happens this year. The Echinopsis only flowered twice in year, though I had a few scatterd one in flower yestersay on the north side of the bunker. Norma

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Everything is early this year here in valley too..so darn hot for so darn long.......big Dudley looks alot better than some stuff up here. .LOL Good job on the pic..

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

I have a few sedums here as ground cover for the first year. Most are ilnvasive but that is all I have been able to grow. LOL
The ones Norma sent are in a pot in a window. No growth but are not dying. I am a newbe and have to learn a whole lot.

I have a Coral Senecio in a pot with a chenille plant. I had to move it to my new place today. It had grown quite a lot since last year, has bloomed twice this summer. When I tried to pick up the pot from the ground, I couldn't because some of the overhang had rooted to the ground outside the pot. Well I handled it very gently and convinced it to come with me.

Now it's sitting quite happily in my new yard.

Molly

Edited to say, I will send pictures later. Right now my new neighbors aren't accustomed to me running out in the yard in the night in my jammies to shoot plants hehe, maybe after I'm here awhile................

This message was edited Sep 1, 2004 9:38 PM

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Hey Molly,...PLEASE take care of yourself and get somewhere safe from that storm....(((((((((((((((((((Molly)))))))))))))))))))

Let me know how you are when you can...

Hugs, Carol

Carol,

So far so good. My sister flies in at 3 today. She will help secure anything else that needs doing. The landlord will be over this afternoon to secure the windows, and if worse comes to worse, we will go back to the other house to sit it out. Scott already lowered the awnings and put up plywood.

Will have to play it by ear as we go.

I most definately will keep in touch. ((((((((((((hugz Received)))))))))))))

:^0
Molly

Kermit, TX(Zone 7b)

Norma! Thank you sooooooooo much for the sedums! I just love all of them! I didnt have any of them!...Thank you for being so generous :0)

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

What is the "sedum list" and "flying boxes"???

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Yes, whatever the "sedum list" is, I want to be on it. Is this the sedum list? And does it make us eligible for "flying boxes"??

I got my first sedums this spring at the farmers' market and they are doing great! I'm mostly an indoor gardener, so I planted some sedums and hens 'n' chicks in an outdoor container-- my next step toward being a full-fledged gardener. I'm quite excited that the sedums are doing well, and they perked up quite a bit more after a recent rain.

I'm thinking of expanding my sedum collection. Does anyone know if they grow under cedar trees? I've also heard of using sedum as an alternative lawn. Has anyone tried this, and how do you like it? For what kinds of uses is this practical (i.e. low traffic decorative areas only)?

As you can see, I also have a LOT to learn and would really like a sedum forum. --DanaK

Thumbnail by danak
Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

crZ5 & danak. . I can't speak for getting a 'flying box'..that's Norma's territory. .but you're in the right place for sedum. the 'list' is contained in this thread in different entries made by Norma. . not finished yet, I think she has some more. . but is a busy lady .. .so we will wait, or if she would like help. . I can do some of the lists. . i.e. Sedum for Ground Covers..for borders...for small rock gardens. . .etc. if anyone is interested..LMK

danak..an excellent Sedum book that Norma put me onto is Sedum, Cultivated Stonecrops by Ray Stephenson and it contains the following on sedum lawns: (Pages 20 & 128)

Quoting:
"The maintenance of grass lawns can be very time consuming. A few weeds or bare patches in a lawn can spoil the overall effect, and if a grass lawn is unattended for several weeks, it can soon acquire a neglected appearance. In dry spells, lawns suffer unless irrigated, but continuous use of irrigation is expensive, can be considered antisocial, and in some areas is illegal.
Beds of Sedum species are less demanding than grass lawns as they never need mowing. Dense growth tends to smother potential weeds, and dry summers actually enhance the beauty of such a bed, as underwatering emplasizes the rich hues of the succulent leaves. On the other hand, a bed of stonecrops is no substitute for a playing field; ball games would ruin the plants, but paving stones sensibly placed to form paths and islands would mean that the area could be utilized. A bed of stonecrops can be a place of beauty without being too demanding. . . .Rapid growing forms [of Sedum album] make an excellent substitute for lawn in areas with dry summers and require no mowing or watering! In drought the stonecrop lawn could be bright red. Furthermore, many weeds are smothered by the dense growth of S. album, and once taller weeds that manage to get a foothold are removed, the stonecrop soon fills the gap".

So, yes, you can use it as a sort of lawn depending on several factors. . .use. . zone where you live, etc. I'm tempted to try this myself, as we seem to be in a drought cycle here where I live and water is precious. Hope this helps and welcome to this thread, maybe a forum in the future ;p). Janet

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Thanks! We have some pea gravel we could use for paths... We'll see. I might just give it a try. I'll start a test patch first. :)

Hi, I'm in zone 8 and just joined this this club. I saw someones link to squawmountaingardens and went to it and ended up buying about 10 new plants. I can't wait to see how they grow here. I've been growing cacti for about 4 years and this is my first try on the sedums. Wish me good luck.

Gina

Welcome to C & S Gina, happy to have you here and good luck with your new plants.

Molly

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Gina...Sounds like you had fun shopping. . it's a fun group of plants..learn alot by trial and error...Ditto on the WELCOME!..Janet

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.