Rosemary

Bethel, OH(Zone 6a)

I have a rosemary plant that is in a topiary shape ball. I have left it outside all summer. Everytime I bring in my rosemary plants from outside they turn brown and die. I don't want this plant to die. Anybody have any suggestions of what could be happening to my rosemary. I have the worst luck with this herb, but I just love the smell and taste when put in food. I only have one window in my kitchen with indirect sunlight. My house was built in 1820 and sunlight doesn't come in any window except my daughters room. I don't dare put it in there as I might loose it due to the messy room. Help Please....

Cindy

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

I have the same problem trying to bring Rosemary in for the winter and even though mine was in an bright east window it died. I am wondering if you need a grow light for this one and mist it frequently with water? Hope somebody here knows. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

I planted mine outside last year, I figured if it dies at least they arent expensive, it stayed evergreen for the most part, but I think I need to trim it way down, its growing kinda sprawly since I didnt trim it at all last year. I also think I need to relocate it since its in a spot that only gets some afternoon sun and it didnt bloom at all this year. The spot is almost in an corner so it is protected a bit from the harsher elements of the wind and such, but I got alot of new growth on it too.

Bethel, OH(Zone 6a)

Cottage, I read info on rosemary on this web site www.debaggioherbs.com/grow, found out that when you bring in the rosemary don't water is as much keep in a sunny window, don't mist it either. Just let it dry out in between waterings. I am going to try and keep it in the brightest window that I can, and yes maybe growlights, I just might put it in my greenhouse???? although it doesn't have heat. Don't know yet. Good luck with yours

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Minihostalover and Cottage_Rose_Z5, Please go to Preferences above (in the bar) and add your zone. Helps us all with offering suggestions.

I grew Rosemary outside year round here in z6b even though the "experts" say it won't survive. Hard to agrue with 3 Rosemary plants 4-5 feet tall, though.

I think the reason all survived is that they were planted either against a block wall that got some sun in winter, or in one case, in a rock wall bed that also got some sun in winter. I think the block and/or rock absorbed enough sun/heat to help the rosemary's roots.

I have gone out and dug under a blanket of snow to get wonderful fresh rosemary.

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

I have a friend down the street from me that has had the same rosemary growing in her yard for 6+ years. She doesn't bother to mulch it but it always comes back. The only rosemary that has died on her during winter was some she had in a pot on the patio.

Bethel, OH(Zone 6a)

I have tried planting rosemary in the ground and leaving it in the ground but the winter in Ohio kills it. Zone here where I live is 6b. I can't seem to keep any of it alive. I guess I have a black thumb when it comes to that herb. Maybe I will try to grow it next year like you planted yours Darius.

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Heres more info on Rosemary.
This one is hardy in Z6
"ARP Rosemary"
http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/rosoffarp.htm

And a good article on growing Rosemary indoors and outdoors.
http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00060.asp

And does anybody have some suggestions on how to use Rosemary besides with chicken?

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

A master garderer told me after I asked why some of my plants survived the winter and others of the same kind perished or did not do as well. He told me, the ones by the boulders radiate warmth but the other with out that wall of protection suffer more.
Maria

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

I wish I had read this thread before I transplanted my rosemary a couple of weeks ago. We were planning to cage it and fill the cage with mulch, for starters. Now, I think I'll add some of the MANY boulders I've dug up around the yard to surround the base for winter, as well. Maybe my lil two-foot tall bush will survive after all! He was only a few inches tall when I planted him this past spring. :)

Thanks for those tips, Maria and Darius!

Donna

P.S. I think I'll use the same technique with my tarragon plant.

Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

I have found that if you choose to pot your rosemary- it will have a better chance in a clay pot and root bound.

Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

By the way, Rosemary tastes good with almost everything. I the winter we eat alot of stews- I couldn't imagine it without Rosemary!

In the summer I put it inside fish for baking.

Also an old Celtic tradition is to grow Rosemary by your front door to ward off evil from entering. Personally, I love the aroma!

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

I bought a cone-shaped rosemary topiary for Christmas and it died before Santa came. There's a very fine line between "let it dry out between waterings" and "starve it to death from lack of water." I can't keep it alive down here either. It seems to dry out and die before I can water and resurrect it. I don't think it tolerates dehydration well. I buy a new plant every year...

Uses besides for chicken:
• Goes great with eggs, especially omelets, but scrambled, quiches, frittatas, poached... it's just good with eggs. I use dill also with rosemary and eggs.
• drizzle olive oil over it with some oregano, black pepper, garlic, and freshly grated parmesan and dip crusty italian bread in it.
• toss some in your bread machine
• toss some on top of your pizza or better yet, knead it into the pizza dough
• use it in savory soups, like roasted vegetable soup, or wild rice and mushroom soup.
• I've used it in a cookie recipe: lemon rosemary cookies. Chopped some fresh rosemary into a lemon-flavored cookie dough, chill logs, bake slices for 10 minutes, roll in casting sugar. Mmmmm...

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

I always bring my Rosemary (a large standard) inside in the fall and place it into a bright spot but not near any heating vents. I keep it fairly potbound and water the WHOLE plant every day, green tops and soil. If I go away for a few days, I make sure it gets wicked (with a 1 cm wide shoelace), it really doesn't like to be dry.

Dogzilla, you should plant one in the ground where you are. It should survive!

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Actually, darius, that was my plan with the topiary. I figured it would do far better depending on the rain for water, rather than depending on me for water! LOL

I will be planting one toward the end of next month. Along with another new batch of all the herbs I killed last summer. (I'm very good about watering until about June and then it's too hot to stand there with a garden house. Then I get all Wile E. Coyote about trying to come up with an automated watering system... including ACME rockets and the like. You should see some of the ideas I've come up with to battle squirrels!)

Santa Cruz Mountains, CA(Zone 9a)

I wish I could share all my rosemary with you. It is blooming now,and does so on and off all years. Happy bees! I live in rosemary country. Here is what I know about growing tons of rosemary under ideal conditions. Our temperature gets down into the twenties in the winter, but no lower. We have no (absolutely none) rain from May to October.

The first year in the ground for a new rosemary plant, I give it a drink once a week, The second year every two weeks, the third year once a month, and after that nothing. It grows in sunshine on rocky clay. The ground is moist, but not soggy, all winter.

From reading above it sounds like a few of the now-deceased rosemarys were killed from kindness in the form of overwatering. Even in a pot, especially a large one, they can stand drying out a bit. I don't think a lack of sun would do it, although as much brightness as possible is probably good. Try benevolent neglect. I too love rosemary and wish you an abundance.

I just posted a picture that includes my rosemary. It is the dark green triangle in the upper left corner at http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=1268344 Hope I have provided some info that may help.

Dexter, NY(Zone 5a)

Great post CApoppy...I am sooo jealous of your growing area. I once lived in Pacific Grove, CA and can still smell the roses.

If you look at a rosemary plant you can see that it has been subjected to extreme sun and dry conditions. This is the kind dry, sunny maybe windy world that it was "pruned' by nature to live in. You can tell by the needle like leaves and the brushy stem that it likes a hillside on the riviera or in California where CApoppy lives. So keeping it a bit dry in the winter while trying to maximise the sun it gets (and rotating the plant probably can't hurt since it seeds sun on the other side too). You might also not fertilize it in the winter. I am trying all this and my plant is still alive, February 12. Not being 100% sure of my analysis I am keeping my fingers crossed too.

I need it on my front steps to keep the evil spirits out of my house.

Jean-Michel in too-far-upstate-New York

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

Bob's Rosemary Peanut Pesto

Take raw peanuts and blender chop them, not into dust, but into small bits. Remove the peanuts crumbs, but don't clean the blender yet. add olive oil and fresh rosemary. Blend and make a green oil. If you use dried rosemary, use less, it is stronger. With most of the oil, saute the peanuts till they are soft. The smell should be fabulous. After turning off the heat, add the remaining oil. This way you have cooked in and fresh rosemary together. This makes a fabulous pine nut substitute. In my book better than the real thing. Toss some basil, olive oil and parmesan in a food processor, grind it just to where the basil is shredded, don't make a cream out of it. Mix this with the peanuts. If you love pesto, this is a recipe you will keep. When I came up with it, my six year old daughter declared it her second favorite food, right after cherries.
-Bob

Taylor, TX(Zone 8b)

Cottage_Rose,
My ex used to make the best hash browns but just cutting up potatoes and cooking them with a little oil and chopped fresh rosemary. try it, it's great!

Brownsville, TX

When frying bacon throw four or five sprigs of fresh rosemary in. I start with a couple of sprigs, then half-way through, I add two or three more. Finally, serve the bacon with a couple of sprigs of fresh sprigs (leave the cooked sprigs in the pan). The rosemary will not overwhelm the bacon as it can other foods. & the smell of cooking bacon & rosemary & coffee will bring every one stumbling into the kitchen to eat.

Also, loosley roll, say four loops, of a strip of bacon around a sprig of fresh rosemary & microwave in a paper towls. If the roll is too tight, the tidbite will be tough. This makes a nice garnish or snack & will stave off the temptation to fry & eat the whole package of bacon.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

One more thing about rosemary.When my friend Judith came here for a visit from Bath UK she said" I know there is love in this house.How do you know says I?Don't you remember the song "love goes where the rosemary grows?"

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We love rosemary with green beans (either fresh or good frozen ones). Sometimes I put rosemary and crushed garlic and olive oil in the pan, over high heat, add the beans, then splash in white wine while the beans saute'. Tonight I used half a handful of rosemary sprigs, crushed garlic, beef broth, and a splash of red wine (add liquid a little at a time while cooking & stirring over high heat; you're trying to poach rather than to boil the green beans). We had them with a lovely beef roast my MIL prepared -- yum!!

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

My Arp Rosemary survives the winters here in the open, no boulders or walls.

Another use of rosemary is an astringent for acne. Either steeped and blotted on with a cotton ball or in a bowl of hot water and a towel over the head to steam the skin. Better than Clearisil and less drying to the clear skin...

Barb

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

How're feeling Barb?

~* Robin

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Bullsun - I bet that bacon grease with rosemary would be heavenly over lightly cooked green beans or fresh asparagus. I can dream about it now and have it after my cholesterol check next week! Yum.

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Robin!! I'm getting a little better each day. Each seizure takes a little bit more away though. And, they really **** me off! I have too much to do...;-)

Bethel, OH(Zone 6a)

My rosemary that I brought in last fall was in a huge pot. It looks root bound now should I repot in a bigger pot or leave it alone. I have been told by different that rosemary like it be root bound.

OH, rosemary for acne. I need to try that with my son. He uses proactive but he says it doesn't work, but I think he doesn't use it everyday. Because my other son uses it everyday and it works on him. I'll try about anything to get his acne cleared up. Over the counter drugs and Dr, perscriptions don't work either.

Rosemary with green beans sounds good also. I just love to walk by and brush my hand over it and just smell it. I think rosemary is my favorite herb.

New Port Richey, FL(Zone 9a)

We are growing a rosemary hedge in our front garden bed, up against the house. The plants were planted last spring and now are filling in. Right now the "hedge" is approx 18" tall -- I keep it trimmed even, trying to get uniformity.

Do y'all use a food mill to chop rosemary up so it's fine enough? I like to use it in soups and stews because I can just throw in a sprig, but it seems hard to get it chopped up very fine.

Nah, I just chop mine with a Chef's Knife.

I use my kitchen scissors. I have all the knives but it's comforting to go lazy sometimes.

Hey, I use kitchen scissors for everything. I'll give that a try. Here's a rosemary recipe you might enjoy ... although it's better to me in the winter months, it's still good all year round.

Pasta e-Fagioli

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 slices pancetta, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 rib celery, finely chopped
4 to 5 cloves garlic, chopped
2 sprigs rosemary
1 sprig thyme
2 dried bay leaves
salt and pepper, to taste
2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
2 cups water
1 quart chicken stock
1 1/2 cups ditalini
Grated parmesan

Heat a stock pot over medium high heat and add oil and pancetta. Brown pancetta lightly. Add herb sprigs, bay leaf, chopped vegetables, and garlic. Season vegetables with salt and pepper. Add beans, crushed tomatoes, water, and stock. Turn up to high and Bring to a boil. Add pasta, and reduce heat to medium. Cook soup, stirring occasionally until pasta is cooked. Remove herb sprigs and bay leaf. Top with grated cheese.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Before I managed to successfully over-winter a rosemary plant, I relied on frozen rosemary that I picked from my MIL's rosemary hedge..... I chopped it finely in the food processor with a little olive oil and froze it like I do pesto. I used one of those plastic trays that makes itty bitty ice cubes, and I think one cube worked out to be about a teaspoon of fresh rosemary (chopping it that fine compacts it some). Works great with green beans, for rubbing on pork roast, etc.

That's a great idea. I have a bunch of those tiny ice cube trays that I use for wine. That way when a recipe calls for red or white wine ... I always have a cube I can toss in. I also freeze dipping sauces like that, also

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

You have leftover wine, IO1? *giggle*

I freeze up all sorts of herbs in ice cube trays. I also will freeze up measured tablespoons of tomato paste from the can if a recipe requires less than 6 ounces; just put 'em on a baking sheet then plop 'em into a baggie when they're solid.

But we're really getting off topic here, aren't we? Sorry bout that, Minihostalover. :)

This message was edited May 10, 2005 10:51 PM

Well, TuttiFrutti, what can I say ... *smile* but I love your idea about the tomato paste! Isn't it funny how there are some things you don't think of on your own? I don't know why, but I never thought to do this. I usually put mine in the refrig, push it back and wait until it turns into a science project. *smile* Then I throw it away!

Thanks for the pasta e-fagioli recipe. It's a piece of heaven to eat that soup. Yum. The only thing I hate about it is when people call it Pasta Fazool. If they've learned enough not to say dees and doe's then they should pronounce it correctly. I will try the recipe but will not wait for winter.

I'm always amazed at the amount of people who find new uses for those ice cube trays. I have to shove to get anything in either the kitchen freezer compartment or the big freezer or the freezer compartment in the refrigerator in the garage. Hard to believe we're two retired people who aren't overweight.

As for leftover wine................what is it?

Okay, okay! Sorry I said anything about left over wine! *wink* You don't want me to drink it stale, do you? hahahahaha!

Maybe it's strange but I don't like champagne. So, when we had some leftover I couldn't bear to throw it out and had always heard of Champagne vinegar. I added it to my little jug of vinegar - not the right way to make it but still interesting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.