Little white buggers

Harrisburg, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi
What are the little white bugs that are all over my plants? They seem to like the honeysuckle, balsum, and columbine best so far. They seem to leave white cottony looking sufff behind. Bug Poo? What to do to get rid of them? I don't use any pesticides because I like to invite the butterflies and hummingbirds into my garden and don't want to do anything to hurt them. Any good advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
cnclady

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi, hope this info helps: your little white bugs might be mealy bugs. They are described as masses of white "cotton" at most leaf nodes. The white cottony stuff is not really poop, but the bug itself. THey really do love my beebalm and salvia here. What I do is get on a pair of gloves and squish them. It is a very time consuming but I also plant for butterflies, bees and hummers. I have also used a very very weak liquid soap and water mixture to try to help combat those nasties, but squishing them seems to be the best way to go..Also a powerful blast with a waterhose might do some good, but those little buggers are really good at hanging on. Good luck to you. Lisa

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Cn, I just did a little quick reading for some natural products out there that might be available: here it is: from Safer: Insecticidal Soap. It kills mites, aphids, mealybugs, whitefly, earwigs, pear slugs & other pests. It is not harmful to bees ladybugs and other beneficials. Natural Gaurd is another brand, so is Concern. These all contain things that kill soft bodied pests. I also think Shultz makes one too. Lisa

New Paris, OH

Sounds like Mealy bugs to me. I usually wash house plants in soap and water to control them. Many wasps love to eat them and you can kill most with your fingers.

Harrisburg, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the info. I am trying the squashing method and
soap and water. It seems to be helping. Or maybe the wasps
too. I always have plenty flying objects around. I don't
bother them, they don't bother me.
cnclady

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.