Beautiful, Delicate Morning Glorys Cont. #3

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

This it the Cont. from the previous threads threads.......

This is Heian No Kaori........this is a single bloom, I will post a picture with three blooms in it and one with two........
Tell me what yall think of them when I have them all up.....
:o)
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

This is the one with two blooms.....these blooms are about 4 to 5 inches across..........they are very large......... :o)
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I guess I should have had something in to compare but didn't want to spoil the beauty, they are that pretty......also they are in full sun from sun up until about..........1:30 pm.......they stay open they whole time to.........
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

This is my Bush Morning Glory, I just transplanted it from a 1 gallon to a half barrel. I like it that much that I don't want to just take a cutting when we move so I planted it where I can take the whole thing and it will have plenty of room to grow.
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

And this is Shibouri's, finally it is starting to open and be pretty like the pictures.......I am still withholding judgement on this one it is puny on blooms and setting seed. Maybe it does better in a cooler climate. I just dosent' seem to like where it is here . I think that may be the problem with most of the MG's that I have been some what disappointed with, I just planted them in the wrong place. Some I may try again in another location. I have a friend that lives in another city not far from me and her Blue Star are setting seed, only she has hers in more sun.
Dee

Edited for spelling of Shibouri

This message was edited Aug 10, 2004 2:13 PM

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

I like Shibiro very much. If you have any seed from thin one I would like to have a few of them. You could be right about the location.

Lynnwood, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi, I've been lurking around here for a couple years and finally think I have some MG's to brag about. I was pretty disappointed when I missed out on the co-op this year, but I had some seeds from a MG exchange a couple years ago and traded with a trader in China last fall for some unnamed JP MG's...these are my favorites. The first is from an exchange, labeled Tye Dye. Elaine

Thumbnail by gardenrocker
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Dee,
your Shibiro look alot like my Shibouri's. I even had some solid pinks come through, and some that were nearly all white. A really neat flower.
And I love your bush MG, mine has not started flowering yet but I am anxiously waiting! :~)
Donna

Lynnwood, WA(Zone 8a)

This is supposed to be Tye Dye too.

Lynnwood, WA(Zone 8a)

This was supposed to be Blue Silk (from a trade)

Lynnwood, WA(Zone 8a)

These were labeled mt. fugi blue, tye dye, and blue silk

Lynnwood, WA(Zone 8a)

From China labeled "Japanese Best Good"

Lynnwood, WA(Zone 8a)

Japanese #4

Lynnwood, WA(Zone 8a)

And lastly 'Japanese best red'

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow Gardenrocker, those are really pretty, if you have some seeds I would love to trade, and yes of coarse I will save you some of the Shibiro seeds if I get any, Busybee, just remind me a little later, I will put you down but just in case I might need a reminder.....
Dee

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Elaine, you have some great ones!....sooo pretty!

WW, I like those pink/white stripies - blooms are much prettier now :)

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Wow! I am so impressed with all these MG's. Please save me seed and I will work real hard to find something worthy to trade.

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi gardenrocker
I am so glad that you have quit lurking and joined the rest of us in posting!!!!
After the first post I was going to welcome you to DG and tell you how glad I was you had decided to post.

But after looking at all of those beauties, I will just add that you are right up there with the best of the best.

Your MGs are outstanding and you photography is wonderful.

I would of course, love to be added to the list of people receiving seeds from those beauties if we can work out a trade later.
Alice

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

This is a new one, This is and hold on to your hat this is a long name for this poor thing. This is Shibori Wisteria Fiji Tye Dye, it is really pretty and I am sure will do better as it puts on more flowers, this is only about is's second or third bloom. It is not a big bloom only about 2 or 3 inches across and it is in the shade so I don't know how well it does in the sun.
I like it, what do yall think????
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

And finally I get a Rose Red to bloom that I can get a half way decent photo of.......it is kinda nice and I will plant it again but in a different location.........:o)
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Boy, my luck with mg's this summer is the pits. We had a yardman weed the beds yesterday and he either pulled out or chopped up my Blue Silk and Umi Sea that were just emerging. I also had a Ipomoea Andersonii that I've had about 3 yrs. that had finally grown over and onto the trellis and was covered with large pink blooms that he pulled out. Now don't ask me why he thought that was a weed, since it was covered in flowers. He also chopped up some of my newly planted daylilies, and dumped out 2 pots of dirt that I had recently planted achimene rhizomes in. They were emerging out of the dirt, so don't understand why he did that either. I wanted to cry. It's nice to have someone else do the weeding, but everytime we hire someone things like this happen. I just wish I could find someone who understood English and maybe I would have better luck.

Dee, you have the prettiest mg's. I was hoping to trade this Fall, but with the luck I'm having, I'm not going to have any seeds from anything.

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Shibori Wisteria Fiji Tye Dye is breathtaking!!! That is definitely a keeper!!!!

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Don't worry about a thing Syliva, I'll take care of you for next year. I am so sorry to hear of your trouble but alas bad things happen and to bad that it did to the Anderson, that one was a real treasure. Mind died and no matter what I did it just would not grow so you really lost a good one. To bad the garderners we hire today don't know a weed from a flower.... so on to next year. I have seeds I am setting aside for you course it dosen't help you this year but we can only do the best we can and that is all you can do to.....
Yes the Tye Dye is a real beauty and such a surprise, I don't know what I expected but it sure wasn't that. I really like it and I will keep it and plant it again next year....
I hope to get lots of seeds to share...... :o)

How do yall like the new format? I like it......so cool and new looking sooo in the garden......

Dee

This message was edited Aug 10, 2004 2:03 PM

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Mesilla Park, NM

oh you all, those are gorgeous. Here is that Large pink on this morning (anyone know what it is?)

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Will post one more in case anyone recognizes it. It is doing really well, lots of blooms and some did tear in the past few days when opening, but they are getting better at opening and staying open till mid-day.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I planted some Sunrise Mix seed that has a Flower like that. So that could be it. It also looks a lot like No beni to, what do the leaves look like, thats also a good clue....
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh Dee!
Shibori Wisteria Fiji Tye Dye is WONDERFUL! I am very impressed.

Mesilla Park, NM

WW, the leaves are typical JP looking, Green only, no varigation on them. Will take a photo right now and post another one of the leaves.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

I have two thermometers (a digital and a regular outdoor one), The digital is marking 109 degrees in the shade, the regular garden thermometer is marking 114. This is the MG as of a few minutes ago 1:25 PM pacific time.. can you believe it is still hanging in there? The leaves are shown here.

edited to ask: Are the Japanese MGS normally long day bloomers?

This message was edited Aug 10, 2004 12:27 PM
edited for spelling.......

This message was edited Aug 10, 2004 2:32 PM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Lynnwood, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, all of you, for such a warm welcome! I'm sure I'll have some seeds to share. I planted most of mine in pots because sometimes our season isn't quite long enough here. This year the weather has been fantastic! But, I have 3 plants that still haven't bloomed. I think they're supposed to be blues. One especially, I'm beginning to wonder about. Should I try more water or fertilizer, more or less sun... or just patience. It was labeled Ipomoea nill "keiryu. The leaves are more of a lime green and variegated. Its growing well, but has yet to set a single bud. Does anyone have this plant growing? The 2nd, also has the same odd color leaves (JP#23), but does have one small bud.
The 3rd one has a few buds(JP#30), so hopefully I'll be back next week with a picture.

WillowWasp, Shibori Wisteria Fiji Tye Dye is GORGEOUS!
Its sooo exciting checking out new blooms every morning!

Does anyone have leaves with this limey color, is it normal?

Mesilla Park, NM

Hi Gardenrocker, I don't know if about the leaves.. just wanted to say welcome and they sure do look good. I like the variegated leaves and enjoy the foliage. Can hardly wait to see the rest of your plants when they bloom.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Gardenrocker, I grow Keiryu and it is a "Slow Polk" for sure. I thought it was gonna die for awhile but it perked up and came along. It took for ever to put on it's first bloom though. I planted it I think along with my first batch in Feb. and just got blooms back in....well I will have to go back and look up when I posted it but I know they take awhile.
But I must say they are worth the wait. They are that pretty.

The leaves are more of a lime green on them than any of the others I have seen, so that is not unusual, don't dispare over that. Lots of MG's have different colored or different shades of green leaves and some more varigated than others. Some start out varigated and than will be solid green and than go varigated again and visa versa.

What I don't like is after awhile the leaves tend to get grainey and I don't know why. Sometimes I think it's because they have been to dry.
Guess thats a sign that they are about to expire.....LOL
Hope I have been of some help....
Oh and welcome aboard glad you finally spoke up....
Dee

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Sylvia...how awful, I bet you were sick! Bet you wanted to plant some buck-shot in him. ...what a dolt.

Hello Elaine, I am also sooooo glad you decided to post too. I think WW has the "keiryu" growing.

Gourd, I think your pink is from the sunrise mix....the leaves don't look as frilly as the no Beni....

Yep, that wisteria tye-die one is definately a keeper!.....

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

It is just so frustrating to finally get something growing and then something like this happens. About the only people that might know the flowers from the weeds are the landscaping companies, but they charge too darn much to do the work. It is cheaper to replace the plants. LOL

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Dee, the wisteria tye dye is very beautiful. I would like to have a seed or two of it also. I am glad they are dong so well for you.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Gourd....I have also found here in OH, that the JP mg's are all day bloomers, depending upon location, full sun-no, shady spot-yes, blooms stay open all day long and are just gorgeous!!

This is Fujimusume, and I love the colors in it

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Ohio I really like that one too. Its also a keeper but still thinking that wisteria tye dye is my favorite of everything I have seen so far!!!!

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Here is another one I really fell in love with this year. Wedding Bells, always a delight as I step out my front door each morning!!

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks Alice, I will be back hopefully around 2 today, will try to "catch" ya then!!

I also just adore that Sh/Wisteria tye dye one!!!

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Those are pretty Laurrie, I didn't get mine planted this year but will next year after seeing yours.
Dee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.