what are you sorry you planted..

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

Rose Malva. That stuff reseeds like you wouldn't believe. Doesn't seem to transplant well, but oh my gosh. It's nasty little seeds appear everywhere. It drinks Round up like its Kool-Aide.

Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh no!!! I planted rose malva last year - Japanees beetles loved it.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Vinca, it is slowly covering the world.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Probably won't plant Cannas again. Probably the most invasive thing I've seen down here.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm beginning to feel that way about Calla Lilies. :-(

Wow, RikerBear! Out of control callas? I'm a total calla failure! My sisters are huge and beautiful, but mine just kind of exist quietly. What's the secret?
Sweet deal today on horsetail, which I love as long as it's in pots. So prehistoric and all that. (I plan to get some gunnera and put pots of horsetail around it. Positively primitive!) I went to a local specialty shop that had horsetail out of control on the grounds. Dug up quite a few pieces and potted them at home! This is the kind of deal I like!

Oh, starting to be sad that I planted the petasites japonica before getting a little pool for it. I thought I dug it all up so I could contain it, but, alas, it was not to be. It is now popping up close to the blue poppies. I must destroy it.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Mine are planted in a very moist shady location....they get WAY out of controll. I have dug them up and still they come back as strong as ever.
If you want some, let me know as I just dug up another huge clump this morning. Some of the tubers are as large as softballs.

Rikerbear, I would love some! Would you like a trade?

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Kachinagirl - are u still wanting Oriental Limelight Aretemsia? It is coming u everywhere!! I'll be pulling and chopping soon. LMK It can be a stinker to transplant, smaller is better. Has runners that are yards! long.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Send me a 'member mail' with whatchat got to trade. :-) We can meet somewhere and do a person to person trade if you like.

Marc

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Yes, please Kooger. I will "Dave-mail" you. Thank you! K :~D

Atchison, KS(Zone 5b)

I have a friend that wants to kill me because I gave her some Loosestrife and it took over. That is after I also gave her some Missouri Primrose!!! She says that she won't take anything from me again!!! Mikey

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I have a love/hate relationship going with two clumps of Soapwort (Saponaria?) my neighbor gave me years ago. I love the way it flowers most of the summer and stands almost 3' tall but it spreads like crazy! I'm forever pulling it out of the grass and today I spent my garden time digging up volunteer sprouts all around the main clumps. This stuff could easily take over in one season if I didn't keep pulling it out!

Englishtown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Butter and eggs. Or is it Eggs and Butter? Whichever it is, I sprinkled seeds someone sent me as a trade and now I can't get rid of them. But they are very pretty flowers though

Kirksville, MO(Zone 5a)

Artemisia limelight#@$*! I had no idea it was so vigorous. In one year it completely invaded my native grasses and feverfew (which itself is quite a reseeder).

HelenK - I'm from England too ... and my Mom is here. She has the same problem you do, just in a different zone. She has lenten rose, bergenia, ferns, artemesia limelight (which I gave her) that has spread eight feet in one year, clump bamboo, wormwood, wisteria, clematis ... just to name a few ... that are doing very well.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis). A neighboor had (still has) a bunch growing in his rose garden so I dug up a couple and put it into one of my beds last year. The bees seemed to like it so I watered it and fed it. Then it bloomed. I was blissfully unaware of how many seedlings that little innocent looking mass would spawn.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

But it smells so good as you (and I) are digging it up.... lol

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Could I get these plants for postage please! I feel stupid asking for things for postage but I'm putting in gardens around my sons school, too expensive I need all the help I can, and those invassive plants at least won't die so easily with the neglect they'll have to survive this summer! I'm also looking for Purple Coneflower if anyone has a large clump they are thinking about dividing.

thehumblebumble: Missouri primroses
mysticwill: Black Eyed Susans
Gardengirl1204: pink Primrose
drdon: Mexican Hat (Ratibida columnifera)
mvespa: Butter and eggs

This message was edited Apr 14, 2005 8:20 AM

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

you've got mail-- need your addy.

Heather

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

The snapdragons that are reseeding here for me are 2 ft. tall ones - they reseed in the darndest places. I pull them up and replant them sometimes. I wish I could tell what the colors are first - There is a really ugly pink one - don't like the shade of it. However, there are some orange/pink ones (kind of sunset colors) that I really like and wish those were the only ones to come up.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Ribbon grass..............jumped the deep bottomless pot I buried in the soil

Japanese Lanterns.........or is it Chinese lanterns?? :) Buggars not only took over my yard but jumped down to the neighbor's house two houses away.

Missouri Primrose

Boston Ivy

Vinca vine

Lemon Balm

and the worst..........Virginia Bluebell. I'm actually moving away from it to get rid of it. :)

This message was edited Apr 15, 2005 9:35 PM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Veronicastrum viginicum. I've tried to dig it up about 3 times and think I have all the roots out, but it keeps coming back. Not really a bad looking plant, but I don't like it where it's located.

Susan

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Ya know - what can be invasive or even "ugly" in one climate, can be beautiful in another. Isn't that funny! Someone once told me Bee Balm and Lupins were invasive. Not in my gardens! They are my best plants, and easy to control. I find marigolds and snapdragons invasive here, because they reseed massively for me, and I am pulling most and saving a few. For some people they would LOVE to see that happen for them.

I really think it depends on where you live - and those climate zones aren't always right. California poppies grow for me - and they reseed themselves - and I live in zone 5b to 6a (toss up).

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Karrie20x
I agree with you 100%! I have 2 gardens...The one down at the beach in SC. zone 8 and one in the NC.mountains zone 6.In the beach garden nothing reseeds itself except the live oak trees.The only thing that I regret planting is a type of sunflower that grows wild in the drainage ditches ( that should have told me something) it has been very invasive but its not too hard to get rid off.In the mountains lots of things seem to reseed which I love.The big problems are the wild blackberries and the wild roses.you need a full suit of armor to deal with those 2.Violets are also quite invasive,we have several kinds,but I love them so much I can't get rid of them.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Hey, y'all, hold up here! Virginia Bluebell invasive? I don't have nearly enough of it. Please, next time you go to get rid of it, would you let me know so I can send postage and you can send some down here? I only get to enjoy it a couple of months each year before it goes dormant on us.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

RikerBear/////My husband calls Lamiastrum "Ground Cancer"...it is worse than lysimachia (goose neck loosestrife)...well almost as bad.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

:-) Good name for it................ LOL

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

lol! ground cancer...... I will label all weeds and invasive plants that from now on!

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I have one called creeping crud vine. . .

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Sounds like an icky virus!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I think I've had that! LOL

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

...then there was Polygonum capitatum....Pink Knotweed. Sheesh, I didn't even PLANT the stuff, I simply left a flat sitting on the ground for several weeks. It invaded one bed, went 7 feet around the lawn (thank goodness for broadleaf weed killer) then went into an second bed. I had it for several years...then we had a really hard freeze (ok, you midwest people, hard for US here!) and it finally croaked! Thank goodness!
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/1652/

K :~D

Oh NO!! I just bought a gallon container of the Pink Knotweed! Wonder if it's that bad around here? You know... I did think the leaves were homely and looked like weeds. But I love the pink flowers! I hope it's not nasty here! I plan to grow it in the shallow part of the pond in a pot. Does it spread with seeds or with runners?

Have another plant to add to my 'sorry' list. It's a small dark leaved violet of a deep purple. Dont' know the cultivar, but it should be called 'wildfire' because that's how fast it spreads. Both seeds and runners. I love violets, but not this much!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

If you are talking about viola 'labradorica" I think it is wonderful....very small with purple greenish leaves and makes a nice combination with other early spring flowers. It is even suggested in Ken Druse's THE NATURAL SHADE GARDEN as a choice plant to encourage.

Yes, it is probably the same plant. I love the book you reference. I have a copy and looked at the picture. Mine is darker purple, but may still be the same plant. It is so very prolific here that I am constantly pulling it out of the front bed. I used to let it go but then it covered the entire bed and started out into the gravel driveway. It wasn't the look I wanted right by the front door. It out-competes my other violets. I have a woodland that I'd like to encourage it to grow in as a ground cover,. but it prefers more sun that it would get there, I guess.
A lovely little plant, but tenacious in my area.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

That's very interesting about the Violas. I have the labridorica and she seems to be very well behaved, surprising since my growing season is endless.

Now here, you have to look real close to even find the viola in the mass of Rock Soapwort, which seems to be taking over that and the columbines.

Now I am not yet ready to admit I am sorry for the Rock Soapwort, because I will give it a chance to redeem itself for me. Today I am taking cuttings (lots) to get started and plant them on the north side of the house where I just put down large stepping stones on the pathway. They can compete with the stones to their hearts content and I will be quite happy.

Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Years ago, before we moved here, the lady across the street planted Japanese Knotweed on the easement directly across from my house (to the side of hers). The stuff gets 10' tall and was just a mass of green - nothing pretty. I decided to pull it out in fall when it dried out and lost its leaves. I figured if I had to look over there, I wanted to plant pretty stuff to look at. Well, I dragged it to the back of our adjoining property to quickly burn the dried stalks. Little did I know the stuff has seeds in the stalks and I trailed seeds almost the whole way! That was about 5 years ago and I'm still digging up and disposing of remnants of the little buggers! Just when I think I have them licked, I find more! I had to resort to spraying Round up on the stuff out front to kill it all, which I always try to avoid doing if I can help it.
Also, after planting Sundrops, I avoid anything that spreads by runnners, rhizomes. Just not worth all the work!

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

Mine is a morning glory vine that was in a pack of "mixed" mg vines. This particular one took off across my lawn, under my trailer home, under the porch, up between the siding and the house, it's twining around my salvia and trying to strangle it. With the wind here the way it is I can't spray round up very easily without killing things that I don't want to. I love mg's but whatever type this one is it's a pain in the ****.

Anne

Sugar Land, TX

Lantana.

It's two years old, I tried digging it up in January, and here we are May 5, and it's taking over that part of the bed already - and we're having a rather "cool" spring for this area! It was NOTHING just three months ago, and it's already about three feet high by four feet wide. Already! I pruned it TWICE in the last week.

Actually, I have a love/hate relationship with it. When I see a butterfly on it, I like it. All other times, I keep thinking of what else I could have planted there! LOL

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I just read that MG and bindwind are cousins, or sisters, or related somehow. Unrelated to this thread, however.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.