what are you sorry you planted..

Heber Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

hc---- it probably is the Moudry----got it several years ago at Wallie World---you dont think they would sell a plant to someone and it be mislabeled do you??????? Yea Right---- I am glad you told me I will change the name plate outside.... Michelle I will have loads of it that I can send you in the fall----this is really a perennial and it also self seeds, the good thing it you can move the babies around in the garden and they do bloom the first year for us!!! Writing that down on your list with the daylilys! Marie

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Back to the original topic of this thread...

Grumble, grumble... I'm beginning to regret I "planted myself" on DG... I can't seem to get anything else done, LOL!

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

LOL Darius

Sometimes you have to just pull yourself away from the keyboard! Just walk away!!

hard eh? Is for me! :)

I know what you mean darius---takes some real strength!!!! LOL Marie

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

You can't kill that stuff, Humble! It might have been mislabeled when you bought it. My little seedings are super tough to pull out...even very small plants. It has killer roots...so don't let it get going where you don't want it. I will be moving a couple of mine because of excessive seeding of itself. I've got them coming up in the middle of my coreopsis...geez.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Reseeding snapdragons? Never heard of them before. Maybe it's too hot here for them. Are they the regular snapdragons?

Mine reseed.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Hops vines!

The artemesia orental limelight too but not really. I knew how invasive it was before I planted it. Mine gets at least 6'x6' and it is gorgeous! I rip out a bunch every spring but I do love it. It makes this great thick wall of beauty! It's one of the only plants I "coddle".

I haven't take a pic of it yet this year but you can see it on the back side of this bed. This was from a little over a month ago It's a lot taller now, I'm 5' and it towers over my head.

Thumbnail by jody
Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I must be doing something wrong. Mine die when the weather gets hot. I love snapdragons and would love to see them scattered throughout my garden.

Jody, are you actually THAT tall?? LOL

Seattle, WA(Zone 8a)

snapdragons reseed with success??!?

Y'all have me excited now. They actually like my horrifically sandy soil! Maybe they'll reseed and bloom next spring (atch this space for me companing next spring about how they reseeded with wild abandon).

I also have Oriental LImelight, although mine has only grown 1' this year. I might move it to the parking strip garden since I wanted its space for daylilies. THanks for the warning.

Since I haven't been at my house long enought o really regret any plantings, I'll complain about the previous owner.

LAURELS LAURELS everywhere! I live in the city so I only have a 3000 SF plot. Why would someone plant 5 laurels, 2 of which are Portuguese Laurels?????? And they keep trying to grow in new areas of the yard!

And comfrey! Gosh, you can't get rid of it! I was pulling out 2" diameter roots of it out of the ground last week!!!! Plus, I seem to have a sensitivity because every time I touch it I get a bunch of red bumps. I need better gardening gloves, I tell ya.

what else? Lunaria is a pest here, so is rose campion, california poppy and perennial sweet pea. Everywhere!!!!

turtle--when you want to get rid of some of the laurel---let me know! I would love some! Marie

Seattle, WA(Zone 8a)

I'd be happy to send you some if you tell me how to take a successful cutting!

I am not sure on the laurel I have tried many times and can't get them to root. do they spread by runners? That would be the easiest.... Marie

I think it's only the short snapdragons that re-seed, at least in my experience.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

The Oriental Limelight Artemisia spreads by underground runners - up to 3 ft. away from the mama in my flowerbed. It is very easy to pull up where you don't want it and I really do like the variegated leaves. Farther south, my guess would be, watch it!

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

hmmm...looks like I should have taken RikerBear's advise and those of the posters in the (now dead) link. Last spring I was trying to add variety to my main perennial garden and Artemesia 'oriental limelight' seemed like just the ticket. The tag said it would grow to 1' x 1'...that was not quite right as it grew to about 3' x 3' and I cut it back and it kept on growing. Jodi commented that she liked her's...my wife commented that she liked the plant (and she does not make comments like that on any plant that does not have purple flowers).

When it developed these odd seed-like things in the fall I cut it back so it would at least not spread by seed. I am looking at my flowerbed this spring and I see tons of Artemesia sprouts coming up in a 6' circle around the original plant. I am tempted to try and replant in a bottomless pot, but I know that I should sent it to the trash.

- Brent

Yeah, it DOES spread. LOL. I dealt with it for years... and finally moved away. (Not because of it, though.)

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

:-) Sorry to hear it got 'messy' on you. I will never say "I told you so" hehehehehehe

Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

Boston Ivy on our wing walls - it actually grows through the seams where the walls meet in the garage!!! I can't kill it.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh goodness Shelly.....have you tried fire :-) What I mean is, have you tried burning the stems down at dirt level?
Sometimes charring them down like that will finish them off.

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

forget me nots, creeping sedum (it's got yellow flowers) and Black Eyed Susans!!!!! they took over 2 beds! I tried to dig some out to "share" and the roots are so thick I bent my trowel! (i have bulds in there so I can't use a shovel) ANYBODY WANT SOME???? lol!

Heather

My worst nightmare is Lysimachia Ciliata 'Firecracker'. I bought it for the dark purple foliage and the hot yellow flowers. It's lovely, but it needs staking for me and it has taken over the world around here. I'm pulling it out everywhere in the garden and it has layers upon layers of roots. I would still buy it for the lovely foliage and flower combination that sets off pale greens wonderfully, but I would contain it. And don't bother pulling it out and leaving anything on top of compost or leaves or anything. It will grow through and root.
Rikerbear, I can relate to your distress with the Lamium. I had that at my last house and it ran over everything in its path. Also the Lunaria I thought was pretty went crazy. The rose campion is a pest as well for me, but I don't mind it as much as its easy to pull and I sometimes transplant the seedlings if they'll look good somewhere in the garden. I like them growing under my climbing America rose. They cover up the legginess quite nicely and go well with catmint.
California poppy I pull with abandon and no guilt.
If anyone wants Lysimachia, let me know!

Humblebumble - my laurel seeds freely and I'm always pulling up seedlings where I don't want them. Want me to try to pot a couple up and see if they live? Things are growing by leaps per day right now, so it might stress them out, but I'm willing to give it a go if you want some.

Turtlelu - did you know you can whack a laurel to the ground and it will sprout up nice and shrubby? Since I love mine (I have a very large space) I usually prune them up to let the multiple trunks show and underplant, but I've whacked a few back in my day as well. Sometimes easier than pulling them out.

Pixydish

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

I'm with Mystic on the Black Eyed Susans....they are lovely all summer, but they quadruple (sp?) every year I think! I should offer some for trade, I will have many available! Also.....I have a Hops vine I was fixing to plant where it could dlimb my arbor....now perhaps I shall keep it in a big pot next to the arbor until I'm sure! Humble, this was a great idea for a thread.....very helpful, thank you! Also, I wouldn't mind trying a sprig of your crazy artemesia limelight if you spy anything on my lists that intrigues you. I will...of course....keep it potted!
Karen :~D

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

This is a fun and informative thread.....I should say that addressing comments to HumbleBumble are futile, as she was removed from DG for to many trades gone bad (among other things).

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Oh. Also good advice! Thanks Mark! I have Archangel too, but luckily I planted it in a pot! I wish I could say that was on purpose because I was so smart, but alas, I just thought it would look good there. LOL It's with a patio tree Osmanthus fragrans and Heuchera 'Firefly'. NIce to hear from you Mark!

Karen

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7a)

Hi, I am new on this site and so enjoying all the information. I originally hail from England where gardening was not so much a challenge as I am having with this red Georgia clay! I have a very shady, extremely wet spot that is in a flood area which is giving me heartache. If anyone can suggest some plants for this area I would be so appreciative. Which leads me to what I wish I had never planted.....the chameleon plant. I was pleased for a couple of years because it seemed fairly well behaved in this area but now is becoming extremely invasive. The other plant that is giving me headaches is the japanese anemones. They have seeded themselves everywhere, shady, sunny, wet, dry, but at least they are fairly easy to remove. I rip them up with abandon.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Helenkaye5, my advice would be to just give into the 'wet area', and plant bog plants. Plants that love wet feet. Ferns, and such......
Just a suggestion :-)

Helenkaye5,
I'm with Rikerbear. Hosta? Is it too hot for primulas there? Lots of great plants that enjoy wet feet!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Ferns, grasses, hostas, calla lilies, etc etc

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the suggestions. I have hostas in other areas of my garden, but thought that it would be too wet for them there. RikerBear I refuse to give into my soggy spot!......I have had success with woodland blue phlox, winterberry bushes and cardinal flowers, but the jury is still out on the royal ferns and turtleheads. What I am looking for are plants that bloom in the summer and grow to about 3' tall, any suggestions? I like the idea of grasses, but do you mean plants like sweetflag....I have those and yes, they do great. Another plant I have just put in is the native american horsetail, but have since read that they are extremely invasive and am in two minds whether to remove them. Does anyone have experience with these plants? Pixydish thanks for your suggestions and unfortunately it is a little too hot for primulas, and I do so love them.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Grasses like sedges, rushes, liriope (not a true grass but related to lilies) was what I meant

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

I would lift the horsetail, put it in a big pot, anf enyoy it that way. It can get away from you!

K

(Edited..."ANF"? sheesh....how about AND! LOL)

This message was edited Apr 8, 2005 9:52 AM

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh horsetail is evil here....I did however find a cool way to get rid of it. Improve/sweeten the soil with lime. Seems horsetail hates sweet soil and dies back rather quickly. Has worked very well for me the last couple years.

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

I would have to say the pink Primrose that Humble noted. I planted ONE peat pellet with about 5 seeds in it TWO years ago and I am still finding them! And not even in the same area I planted them. They are very prolific and have very deep roots. Don't plant them unless you contain them or don't mind having them EVERYWHERE!!!

Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

I've really been thinking about this one...Lambs Ear maybe? I don't hate it...actually like the leaves - but I end up cutting the "blooms" off and it still seems to resow everywhere. The most ivasive plants are not ones I planted...black walnut trees that come up all over and red raspberries. If I catch the trees early they are easy enough to pull out, but the raspberries! they have stickers even when they are small. In addition, our woods started having bedstaw a few years ago - it also pulls up easy but THERE IS SO MUCH OF IT!!!

This message was edited Apr 8, 2005 7:16 PM

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7a)

OK the horsetail is outta here.......rushes are a great idea, but no more liriope for me...LOL....a little of it goes a very long way!

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

My Lemon balm has seeded itself all over. I do like the plant but it is starting to be a bit of a problem.
Mobi

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Mexican Hat, Ratibida columnifera

We thought the flowers were 'Cute'. They are....it's the plant that is out of control fertile. It is now the most prevalent weed we pull in the Dahlia bed in the front yard....big mistake.

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

OH, oh, I just spread a whole bunch of seeds of Mexican Hat yeasterday. But then what goes crazy in one part of the country can be very tame in another. We shall see. Bishops weed is a problem for others but in my garden it behaves very well.
Mobi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.