My New Plant

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

I was at Lowes today, and found something I'd never heard of. It's called a kangaroo fern. I had to have me one. I'll post a picture as soon as I can. Has anyone else heard of them?

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Yes! I've got 2 of them. They're one of my favorite plants!

They're one of many Polypodiums, I believe.

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Aren't they cool? I was wondering if it could be planted into the ground. I have just the place where it would look great if it can.

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Here are a couple of photos

Top view pic:

Thumbnail by jdee
Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

...and side view pic

Thumbnail by jdee
The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Beautiful plant! I have one too..I kept mine in a hanging basket...come to think of it I think it needs repotting.lol
You are finding some really nice plants this year! Way to go!

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you. The only thing that concerns me is where to put them during the winter. Some of them are a risk for my cats if they chew them. I guess I'll have to lock them up in the spare room for the winter...the plants not the cats. lol

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

LoL. I don't think that the cats will bother them much...my cat and other animals lives in a jungle here and at the very worst she has in an emergency used them for a litter pan.

I leave mine out all year .They are in a protected spot on the back porch, so unless you get long freezes or snow they will probable do ok outside.You could cover them with frost cloth or a blanket and remove it during the day. I don't know if they would get enough sun and humidity inside or not???

The ones you got are very nice so I wouldn't want you to loose them.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Wish I could leave mine out all year!

I checked my tag (finally!) and it said Microsorium diversifolium...sometimes called Kangaroo *paw* fern, too.

I read that it is locally common in the Canberra region of Australia.

Mine seem to like a fair amount of good light...I have them in an east window indoors.

I've found them to be one of the easiest ferns.

Wow...yours is absolutely gorgeous! So full and 'lush'!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.