Need Advice...

Flat Rock, NC(Zone 7b)

Alright, thanks to some of you DG'ers, I'm in trubble! I'm getting ready to transform my master bedroom into a tropical non-rain forest, mainly filled with hoyas, with some other things thrown in for effect! I need ideas on how best to keep the humidity up year round. I know I could buy a humidifier, which I prolly will eventually. I was just wondering if a cool-mist vaporizer might do the trick until I get everything in place and am ready for that? Or does anyone have a better idea? Thanks!

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Put little rocks in something that can hold water, then fill up to the rocks but not over, then sit your plants on the rocks. Keep water in the rocks, but make sure that the plant is not setting in the water. Hope this helps.

Flat Rock, NC(Zone 7b)

That could be pretty, even! Thanks, riverrat2. I see endless possibilities for pretty rock containers!

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

You could always use a small table or floor fountain..that would be pretty and I use one in my bird room all year
(you can see my pic) and it looks great and keeps everything nice and lush. They have tons at HomeDepot and Lowe's or the smaller ones at hobby stores. You could even make your own with a small fountain and some rocks in a large bowl...for under $50.

Keep us posted I'd love to see what you do.
MsC.

Thumbnail by MsCritterkeeper
Flat Rock, NC(Zone 7b)

MsCritter, that's gorgeous! I hadn't thought of a fountain. It just so happens I have an old outdoor fountain pump in the basement. I wonder if it still works??.....

Thanks I love it...I couldn't resist and I repainted it to go with our decor, I'll have to find a good pic of it after the repaint....so if you find one you like but it just isn't quite right...then make it yours with a little paint.:>)

The small pumps are only about $20.00 at a hobby store and you don't need a real big one for indoors.The nosie can sometimes get a bit much, but I just turn ours off for a while.
If you add a clamp on light or light fixture above it the plants will grow like crazy. I have a small spot light for ours and it is very nice looking at night. try using a corner and making a little nook it's easy to arrange the plants and hide all the hardware. I've used coffe cans and boxes with a sheet over it to make different heights to accomadate all the plants...I even had 2 goldfish in ours for a while but my Beta fish like it better and it was easier to keep clean.But you can add other fish if the bowl is big enough.:)....just some thoughts you might like to try.

If I can help just email me and let me know...

Have fun!
MsC.

Flat Rock, NC(Zone 7b)

MsCritter, honey, I like your style! Fish! I love it!! My bedroom is where I have to keep my plants, or the cats will eat them down to the roots. But I do have a smaller pump for an old fountain I had for awhile. Now you've got me creatively thinking and excited! Fish! Oh, boy! 'Course, with everything there is to do outside right now, and bean canning time coming on, I don't see it in the near future. But it'll be one heck of a project to keep me from being bored when canning season is over. Thanks so much for your ideas, and be prepared for a passel of questions come fall!!!!

I love your enthusiasm! It makes a great fall project and sets you up for winter storage of those tender plants that have to come inside. It helps make it through those long winter days of no gardening, too!

Good luck and be sure and post some pics when you're done.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.