Kalanchoe Marmorata needs help

(Zone 6a)

It is in 2.5" pot outside on the deck getting about 4-5 hours of the afternoon sun. I water it when it's dry, which is every 3-4 days (small pot gets dry fast). Lately I noticed lower leaves became yellowish. At the same time there are new grows on top. Is it too much/too little sun or something else? Also, will it branch if I pinch new grows?
Thanks!

Valley Village, CA

You seem to be growing it just fine. New leaves are always green, they will get the spots later. The old leaves will turn yellow, perhaps brown, and fall off as they should. You may want to sink the stem into new soil and move it up into a 4" container. When it is warm is grows, so now is the time to fertilize. When it starts to turn cooler the leaves will develope wonderful markings. I just love this species. Crasulady

(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Norma! What kind of fertilizer would you recommend?

Valley Village, CA

Now I proably won't spell this correctly as I really very tired. You may use l tsp. of Osmocote per 4" container. There is the four month kind which may serve your purpose to carry the plant into the cool months.
At the Huntington we use Liquidnox about 1 tbs per gallon of water. Always water first thoroughly, we are now doing this once a week as our soil is extremely porous, then wait
about two hours then use the liquid fertilizer mix.

You may also use Miracle Grow in the same manner, 10-10-10 or 8-8-8 any well balanced fertilizer that you may have already. Let me know how this works for you. If you lose the plant contact me. I'll be glad to send one as a gift, no big deal. Did you know you can start this from just a leaf? Just lay it on the soil. This plant will grow to a nice clumping size and can grow in the ground here in CA
It will have a tall spike of white flowers which are really not fancy, or interesting. Norma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.