Help! Mold on pots!

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

I have 5 cuttings in rooting media (peat moss/perlite mix). I just checked on the little guys today, and saw mold growing on the outside of my clay pots! The plants "seem" to be doing ok; sprouting new offsets and such. Do I need to remove them from the pots and repot? Is this going to kill them?
Please help soon!!! I'm going out of town for a few days tomorrow morning and need to do to whatever you tell me to.
Thanks!

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

can anyone answer my question? I have searched the forums, internet and limited books I have...
Thanks

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Wipe them with a few drops of bleach in a cup of water. This is what I did to mine.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

lol- are you new to gardening? You sound just frantic in your last two posts!

Do like Honi said.
If it spreads all over the soil and the plant I'd try repotting and watering a bit less.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Is the mold a powdery white stuff?

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

yeah...very new.

and no...it was light green fuzzy/hairy looking stuff

Coupland, TX(Zone 8a)

I haven't ever had a problem with mold bothering the plant inside the pot, Just wipe it off. It should be fine.

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

ok, glad to know I freaked out for no reason. :)

thanks for the advice...I'll try to be calm next time I have a question.

Coupland, TX(Zone 8a)

it's ok, we were all new at this at one time. :)

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

No no I wasnt telling you to calm down,LOL.
It was cute! I could almost see you frantically rubbing your hands together in worry, hehe.
It is good you asked your question- that's the way we learn things.

Coupland, TX(Zone 8a)

I think it is great there is a place to go and ask questions, I had to rely on family or go to the nursery when I first started out. Or Just learn the hard way.

Narc

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

I agree. You all have been so helpful. I'm glad I found this group!

Crimsontsavo--you have no idea! :)

Just so you all know...my plants are doing fantastic! It was nice to come back in to town to see so much new growth.

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8b)

I found mold on the soil of my arailia(sp)last night. It's b/c I was keeping too moist? I just dug the moldy soil out with my hand. Did I do right? Liz

I accidentally grew mold in the soil of some of my plants, after I used the alphalpha concoction on them. Too much watering can do it too, you might want to let it sorta dry out between waterings ( I have a hard time with that lol- I over love my plants :) )
So what I did to fix it... I dug a couple out with my finger and on others I took them out of their pots and cleaned as much soil off the roots as I could and replaced it with new soil. I can barely see a very slight difference in the two, but the ones I completely repotted are doing a little better. Just my two cents, hope it helps! And welcome to Daves, liz!!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Sometimes you get spores with the potting mix. I even have moss and mushrooms in my cactus now and again and believe me, they dry out on the south side of my house in the Southern CA sun. The terra cotta pots in the shade are often green on the outside. (All my "houseplants" live outside because of DH's asthma.)

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8b)

Thank you Art. I really like this site. So many are friendly and helpful. I thought I "over loved" them. I dug the moldy soil out. I will keep my eye on it and make sure it's o.k. It was on my aralia. Since I really got into this I tend to do that. I look and talk to them several times a day. I mostly have indoor plants. I have a small garden outside. Thank you for your help. Liz

hehe, I'm glad to know someone else talks to their plants, multiple times a day :) I mainly container garden inside too, because I live in an apartment. It makes it easy to overwater, since they dont dry out like plants in the ground or outside...Have you found the container garden & house plant forums yet? They have some great ideas and people too.
Susanne

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8b)

Susanne, I looked at it briefly (while I should have been paying attention in class tonight. :) ) I will spend more time. Maybe get some ideas? I tried to keep elephant ears inside and they weren't very happy. Outside now. I have a spray bottle now and I have been spraying the leaves. Helps keeps from watering too much. I really believe that they thrive and do so much better when you talk and gently touch them. My rubberplant has sprouted several new grows since I started paying more attention. They hear us and respond. I'm a true believer of that!! Liz

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Old foliage that is allowed to collect on the soil surface will sometimes rot and cause mold, too. keep the soil surface cleared of old plant material. Spores are everywhere, though, and not much you can do about it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.