What is it and how can I get it to bloom?

Denham Springs, LA(Zone 9b)

When I got this flower in March, it was all in bloom, for only a short while though. I have misplaced the "name tag" that came with it. Can anyone tell me what it is and how I can get the beautiful little flowers back? They were droopy and "hot pink" in color. Help!

Thank you for any help!

Missie :)

Thumbnail by Missie_
Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

It's a cyclamen..usually after blooming they get dumped. They need cool temps (50's and 60's) slightly moist and very bright light but not hot sun.It came be kept over..but a lot of work.

Thank you so much! We are in a very HOT and HUMID area. I guess I can only try. I appreciate the info!

Missie :)

Coupland, TX(Zone 8a)

I bought mine last fall and it stayed in a south window all winter and had blooms like crazy!

It is not blooming now, but is still putting out leaves, I keep it a little more shaded now and not as much water and it really is doing ok.

Crossing my fingers it will produce more blooms later.

The blooms are awesome aren't they? Do you have a pic? Would love to see! Thank you for sharing that info. I LOVE this plant! Do you know what the common name is for it? You have given me some hope!!!

Missie :~)

This message was edited Jul 2, 2004 8:23 PM

Coupland, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Missie
I'm sorry no picture. Mine had beauitiful purpleish/wine blooms.
it consistently had blooms, when it started warming up outside is when it stopped blooming/

I ended up taking it to my office thinking because it was so cold in there that I could "force" it to keep blooming, but it did stop. I think it needs natural light, not flouresent in order to bloom.
I do have it home now and back in a spot that was very close to where I originally had it.
I hope I can get it to bloom again. I had never had one of these either. I was at Home Depot last fall and could not resist, it was beautiful.

I will keep you posted on how it does, and you do the same with yours.

Cyclamen is the common name for this. My tag has 'Purple Cyclamen' on it.

Vicki

Thank you Vicki! I am keeping mine in a cold spot in my house too. It has new little babys coming up. Not sure if they are flowers or leaves. I will keep you posted as well. I will keep watching this thread! I'm excited about this beauty as well. I was in Wal-Mart in February when I spotted mine! I do not want to loose it!!!!!

Missie :~)

Thank you for the name! Look! Here is what mine looked like when in bloom. Yours probably looked similar to this, huh?

http://plantsdatabase.com/showimage/33035/

Coupland, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Missie
Yeppers that is it!

I am going to do a little research this morning and see what I can find on it.
What other house plants do you have?
Do you also have any flower gardens?

Vick

The SMALL flower garden that I do have is not doing well at all this year due to allllll the rain here! I have plenty of tropicals outdoors that are doing well. That is about it! I love doing different things w/my house/potted plants. Here are some creative ways to decorate w/REAL plants! I have these all over my house, and I love trying new ideas! This one matches my kitchen!!! :) :) :)

Thumbnail by Missie_

more...

Thumbnail by Missie_

another...

Thumbnail by Missie_

These are all clippings that I have let root in water! Neat huh? I have lots more pics of these!

Thumbnail by Missie_
Coupland, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Missie
Those are very nice.I have a few things in water as well, but mostly my stuff is potted.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.