Epsom Salt usage??

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

MsCritterKeeper posted some great information about the use of Epsom salt with regard to African Violets. Two questions .....
1. Can/Should Epsom salt be used for other tropical houseplants?

2. Can/Should Epsom salt be used for propagation by cuttings?

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Adding Epsom Salts aka magnesium sulfate use should be limited to the occasional watering of houseplants and usually is not necessary at all. Magnesium is essential for the Photosynthesis of a plant but is only required in trace amount and usually sufficient amounts are provided by the soil. Magnesium deficiencies are rare and only occur with extremely sandy soil or old, leached out soil. Too much use of potassium (potash) also can result in Mg deficiencies (among others). Too much use of Epsom Salts can also result in other deficiencies on your plant so if you absolutely must use it use it moderately.
So to your questions:
to 1: Yes you can in moderation but don't have to.
to 2: Can, most likely. Should, no. Propagation should be done with "lean" soil to minimize "leggy" growth.

Magnesium deficiencies also occur in humans and people which feel that it is necessary to add Epsom Salts to their plants should maybe drink some themselves every time they feed it to their plants ;)

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL LOL...good point

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

RE:Magnesium deficiencies also occur in humans and people which feel that it is necessary to add Epsom Salts to their plants should maybe drink some themselves every time they feed it to their plants ;)

Well that wasn't very nice...:>(
I guess that would go for cow manure, too??

The information was quoted straight from a reliable source....
There are many different reasons to use all the various substances we put on our plants perhaps it might do well to consider ALL the information before so rudely discounting another gardeners suggestions???

each to his own.

Edited to give the article and link... http://www.orchidsocietynonv.com/articles/articles.html

This message was edited Jun 25, 2004 4:13 PM

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Haven't yet heard about cow manure deficiency in human, did you?
I do apologize if I offended you with my joke. I know there are many people out there which cannot read inbetween the lines.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough with my post but in my mind I didn't discount the use of Epsom Salts as Mg source in it. I just cautioned to do it moderately to avoid other deficiencies.

The link you provided doesn't show anything wrong with my previous post so I dunno where the problem is?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.