Let's see your Perennial pics....Part II

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Blooms.....good idea on starting a new thread. I'm on cable so everything pretty fast for me, but noticed I'd been having to wait for the page to load before I could click on go to "New" posts.

I love that fleabane...seen it in catalogs and I always seem to go for the asters though...I'll definitely give it a try next year. It looks very similar to Aster frikarti.

Heidi---did you get my email? Also, is that a phlox or lily coming up in the back center of your latest pic? And the yellow flowers are...? And last...the far right tall plant with heart-shaped leaves??

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

All pics are beautiful. Wish I could contribute. But I'm physically and technologically "challenged." LOL

The fleabane, dumb question, it's really pretty, but the name sounds like a flea repellant/killer. Is it???

Cause my wildlife could sure use it, and I would enjoy the pretty plant as well!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

JudithI - I've always objected to the name Fleabane Daisy, but that is its common name. It's an erigeron, in the asteracae family according to ency. It's tag said that and it fits the ''threadlike rays in multiple rows'' description. I just fell in love with it flowers. :>)

But it is not the fleabane in my herb book, THAT fleabane is a _'Pulicaria dysenterica'_ with yellow ray flowers native to Europe.
They call it a fumigant herb and also say 'a strong infusion can be used as an insect repellant rubbed on the skin'.

Maybe someone else knows if this is just a matter of nomenclature or actual botanical difference.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

This column looks naked without pics so here's what I planted in my newest edge-of-the-tree-shade garden yesterday: Prunella glomerata, red fox Veronica, palest blue/lavender Salvia, electric prple Verbena rigidida ... breathe, Blooms.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Close-up of the Prunella with a wilting blue behind it. Within an hour of planting them the wind came up bringing a major sandstorm that beat 'em down a bit. Plants have to be tough to survive here.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Here's a close-up of the palest of laavender blue flower head, I'll take votes:
It was labeled (rather ambiguously) salvia. It's spires are rather like the S.victoria that already lives in my garden. However, it's size and attitude are like the V.spicatica I planted it with. To my eye, the leaves are no help.

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

I don't suppose this qualifies as a perennial, but it gets treated like one in my garden . . .

Imperial Taro

I got a bunch of these from farmerpickle last fall and planted them in my dark damp "problem area". As you can see, it's no problem for them!

This one is 32" tall, and the biggest leaf so far is 12" wide and 22" long.

Cheri'

Thumbnail by sundry
Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

Here is my yellow walking iris, coming into it's own now

Cheri'

Thumbnail by sundry
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

'Sweet Kate' is blooming. I'm getting some browning on the tips of the foliage. I'm wondering if she's in too much sun. Does anyone else have this one?

Thumbnail by poppysue
Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Sue I have got Sweet Kate too!!

It is in direct sun and seem's to be doing O.k.!!!

sue

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

sundry, I've got walking onions, never heard of walking iris beefore. Such a pretty yellow. wonder if it'd do well in shade along with the onions? mmmmm couldn't hurt to try

Clearfield, PA(Zone 5a)

I have sweet kate. It is in the sun and also has the brown tips

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

Blooms, Walking Iris are supposed to like shade. This one is in pretty much full afternoon sun, but it doesn't seem to mind. I have a white one in full shade and it does well, too. Go figure . . .

I know I've promised plantlets to people already, but I can add you to the list if you want one.

I'd love to get a purple one, to complete my collection. =)

Cheri'

Morris, IL(Zone 5b)

Blooms,

Do you water a lot out there in Moab, or do you get mostly xeric plants? I'm trying to figure out what will do well for my sister in Albuquerque.

naturepatch

and here's a blue spruce sedum in bloom.

Thumbnail by naturepatch
Dunkirk, NY(Zone 6b)

Endless Summer Hydrangas with Blue Spruce.

Thumbnail by lwkbriggs
Dunkirk, NY(Zone 6b)

Late afternoon light on the lake.

Thumbnail by lwkbriggs
Granite City, IL

This is my overgrown garden, rudbecka, drawf delphenium and daylily, coral bells in the back.

The blue on the Delp is amazing.

puddleofmudd

Thumbnail by puddleofmudd
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

naturepath: Both the sedums in your picture make good ground covers under my trees and don't demand much water, though they green up fast under frequent shallow waterings.
And I do garden a lot with what are basically groundcover plants: soapwort, various veronicas, geranium sanguineums. Out in the hot sun the Russian Sage positively thrives with little water and of course anyone else would consider the lemon mint out there to be invasive. Also have used native and near native plants to cut down on water needs.

As to watering, it seems like that's all I do some weeks, but it's a matter of disorganization and a lack of a watering system. Our climate may actually be very similar to Kerkee's I don't really know. I think they get more than our avg 9 inches - but then we don't get that for the last seven years.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Sundry is that Taro the one they pound up for poi? Great leaf, it deserves to be in a perennial bed.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Naturepatch - my MIL is in ABQ and she has some pretty amazing flower beds! The backyard has rudbeckia, tons of daisies, spanish broom, she even manages to grow roses but in large pots. She composts ritualistically and is always adding compost when she digs. She does water alot...pretty much daily. The growing season is long compared to mine here in KC. She was a irrigation system in the front yard where she was a 10'x20' patch of grass. Do you know what part of ABQ she's in? My MIL is up on the east side of the city at the base of the mountains along Menaul. Beautiful scenery!!

Brenda

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

◄----covets LWK's Endless Summer hydrangeas!!! WOW! Just a beautiful in your photo as in the magazines! I've wanted one this whole season....dreamed about it all winter long and never found one locally and was too stingy to shell out the money for mail order and afraid it wouldn't be very big. Did you mail order yours? I vow to myself I WILL get one next year! Thanks so much for posting that pic.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I just realized Naturepatch identified a neighbor's plant that they had no idea what it was. Blue Spruce Sedum. I'll have to run over tomorrow and let her know that's what she's got. I don't think I've ever seen hers blooming.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Aster frikartii 'Wonder of Staffa'

Thumbnail by langbr
Dunkirk, NY(Zone 6b)

Brenda,

I too looked forward to spring when I could search the garden centers for Endless Summer. I could never find anyone who seemed to know whether they had them on order. I just happened to stop by the Garden Factory in Rochester, NY to check the day they came in. Imagine the look on my DH's face when I appeared back at the car with a trolley and 6 good sized shrubs. I happily rode the 2 hour drive home with one on my lap. The garden center ordered several hundred of them and only received 75. They sold out the same day. They were also a lot cheaper than the catalogs, considering their size. I'll post more photos as they progress.

Lisa

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Here TOO. Endless Summer WOW especially under that Spruce which is putting out all that new growth. No wonder it's hard to find. Glad you managed to find it.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Endless Summer seems to be one of those much-talked about in the media (at least horticultural media), but hard-to-find plants. I hate it when they create all the hype and then you can't find one.

The real kicker is that my mom and I were talking a couple of weeks ago and she said she saw this new hydrangea at a nursery that was suppose to be ultra-hardy called...."Endless Summer"!! I said, "Where? Where? Where?" and explained how I'd been looking for it everywhere. Well I went over there the next morning and they were all gone. Of course, she told me this story about 2 weeks after she was at the nursery! Live & Learn....tell everyone you know what plants you are searching for they might just surprise you!

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Poppysue...I have Sweet Kate..in a pot..with pansies on my front step..it hasn't grown much and is now losing its yellow colour and turning green and no blooms yet. I'm thinking it may need more sun than it gets there.

Endless summer hydrangea..WOW! Beautiful!

These are my coral pink Lupins.

Thumbnail by Starzz
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Blooms, your plant labelled "salvia" does not look like one up close, huh? Even the S.nemarosa types (like my Blue Hills) up close have little beak shapes... yours while not quite symmetric, have not quite got the "lips" of a Lamiaceae aka Labiatae or "lipped family".

I think you've got another Veronica spicata, named varieties are like, Blue Fox and Sunny Border Blue... I can't quite find your exact blue-purple but look at this reference (scroll down for close up).
http://www.missouriplants.com/Blueopp/Blue_flowers_opposite_page4.html
~'spin!~

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

I've been wanting an Endless Summer hydrangea also but haven't found one. Next year! This year I'll just have to settle for my others. I still have blooms on my "Forever Pink" which is blue and lavender. The first year it was pink then last year purple and now blue and lavender. My Teller Blue lacecap just finished and the blooms aren't looking so hot now. Jenny

Thumbnail by sh1025
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I always have a place in my heart for Speedwell. The blue keeps going all summer as long as I deadhead....

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Of all my Yarrows, the red is still my favorite.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Hey Wanda if you are ever dividing up that yarrow I'd sure like to trade you for some.

Verbena 'Blue Princess' This is about a 4' x 4' shot and it goes on another foot in each direction. I think it's plotting to swallow my house!

Thumbnail by langbr
Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

Gosh, those are pretty Brenda!

I don't think anything with 'verbena' in its name grows here.

I ordered a Lemon verbena and it arrived dormant (a tiny stick). After a month, I contacted the company and their rep told me that I should wait several more weeks for it to break dormancy. That was three months ago, and I am sick of looking at that stick-in-a-pot.

I also have a pink-flowered verbena planted at the base of my clematis. It is hanging on for dear life. I thought it was supposed to grow here. Maybe it's just me -- The 'Black Thumb.' :(

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

This is Campanula medium that I have grown for the first time. I just love the bell shaped flowers of this plant. I am sad to hear that since this is a biennial, that it will die after blooming this year.

Donna

Thumbnail by SoCal

This is the Dark Purple Campanula Medium. The little tubular flowers in front of it is a Cheron Incarvilliea.

Donna

Thumbnail by SoCal

Wanda, I love that red Yarrow also. If you have any seeds to spare, let me know.

Donna

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Is that aka Canterbury Bells? They get so fat looking - they came right outta Alice in Wonderland.

Morris, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Folks!

Thanks for the New Mexico info. She lives on the West side of Albuquerque right by the Petroglyph National Monument. New neighborhood with very little shade. She's had a bit of luck with some of the stuff I sent her(artemisia, sedums, iris, and, oddly enough planted in full sun, creeping lilyturf.) I'm racking my brain trying to think of what will survive in pure bare dirt backyard! Lol! She WANTS to be a gardener, but I'm not sure how much success I'll have making one of her from here in Illinois. Lol!

Here's an unknown species of ladybells I somehow ended up with.

naturepatch

Thumbnail by naturepatch
Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

ooo, those ladybells are pretty! Do they bloom for a long time?

Has anyone in zone 9 ever grown them? It looks like one of those beautiful plants that wouldn'tdo well here, in the heat. The ones that give us 'zone envy'

Cheri'

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I'm thinking she might as well plan her desert garden to use as little water as possible for the best all over resulting bloom. The whole southwest is looking at water rationing pretty soon. IMO

Gallardia fits that, it will grow in hot dry desert sand with not a lot of water. A few of mine volunteered where they get only the occasional splash. and Hollyhocks take surprisingly little water and don't object to poor soil. My Basket of Gold also volunteers and thrives outside the 'boundaries' of my border -blue flax, too is tougher than it looks and a survivor.

Check out Lauren Springer's hellstrip list in her Undaunted Garden book. That part of the book also made a gardening magazine article / forget where.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.